Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i looked out the window & saw through my neighbor's window into their home. it was like seeing into another world. they may have similar items in that house but not in the same exact order. it got me thinking, are there other parallel universes? if so, where are the windows & doors so that we can study them from?

what do you think? i want to hear what you think, even if you do not believe in God. now, if you do not believe in God & do not think it is possible to have other universes, then I want to know why. in my mind, if there is no God, then why not infinite amounts of universes? i do believe in God, but i do not think it is impossible for other universes to exist.

but if you are a christian, and you do not believe in other universes, then why not? you may want to say because God never talks about it according to the six day creation found in genesis. you may also want to say that God only made what God said He made and that God has no other secrets up His sleeves. you may want to say that if God made other universes, or other planets with aliens on them, or other dimensions, then God would have told us about it then. i believe that if we needed to know about them then God can always tell us about them, but i do not think God tells us everything and i do not think God tells us things we do not need to know, but that does not mean God could not have made other universes, planets, dimensions, aliens, whatever, just because God never told us, right? or maybe God tells some of us about these things.

if you believe in aliens, or any of these other things, i would love to know why or how or where or whatever.

i also want to know if there are windows or portals that can allow us to see into other worlds, dimensions, universes, or what have you, and i want to know where the doors or stargate gateways are so that we may go these other worlds. are we alone in this universe? is there life on mars? is the truth out there?

will we someday make star trek spaceships and discover aliens and travel the stars and solve mysteries and encounter the borg and star wars and ET and other crazy things or did God or the big bang or aliens or whatever only made us? i want to hear from everybody about anything..... even if u are a troll, u can join in the party here..... maybe we can talk about quantum theories or string theories or other crazy things too. and are dinosaurs aliens? and were the Egyptian pyramids made by aliens? are the men in black right about how aliens are all around us? are there aliens? or is the world just full of angel and buffy the vampire slayer vampires, zombies, demons, monsters, things, etc.....????

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
i looked out the window & saw through my neighbor's window into their home. it was like seeing into another world. they may have similar items in that house but not in the same exact order. it got me thinking, are there other parallel universes? if so, where are the windows & doors so that we can study them from?

I'll start with some of the personal stuff and work into the cosmology aspects. I'm a Christian and I believe in God. I certainly do believe that other life forms exist in the universe, but I have no convincing evidence that any of them have ever visited the Earth. :)

Science fiction tends to mask some of the difficulties of space travel, particularly and most importantly the speed limit of mass, or C. While we might be able to visit a few local stars in our own local area in a starship, it's very unlikely we'll travel around the whole galaxy like they do in Startrek. We can't do "warp" speeds. :) Time dilation does occur for the occupants of starships, so they would age more slowly than folks left on Earth, but there is a limit on how far we can travel based on the limits of GR theory and the lifespan of an average human. It's almost certain that we'll never visit another galaxy like they did in the science fiction shows Stargate Atlantis or Stargate Universe.

In terms of various cosmology theories, many of them do in fact predict the existence of multiple universes or 'multiverses'.

Multiverse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are many other cosmology theories that predict one and only one universe. Current mainstream theory is a bit 'fuzzy' on the issue in light of recent data. Some have suggested that "holes" in our own universe might be evidence of additional universes, but frankly I think it's just a hole in their theory. :)

http://www.itwire.com/science-news/space/15488-has-first-evidence-of-another-universe-been-seen

I'm personally a fan of Plasma Cosmology theory or Electric Universe theory. That theory tends to suggests that our one universe is infinite and eternal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
it got me thinking, are there other parallel universes?
Do you mean string theory or Multiverse theory? Our imagination has the ability to conceive of all sorts of different universes. Even we can think of a lot of different ways out life could be played out in this universe. The line between science and science fiction seems to be a bit blurred on this one. Perhaps heaven is just a parallel universe.

Let me give you an example. I have a friend who is getting close to the end of his life. When he was young he use to dream about being a marine biologist, but that never happened. Still he has about four tattoos to remind him that was his dream at one time. So in theory his life could have been very different from the life he lived if he had gone to school for that.

What about you? Do you think that you have options in life for different things you could do or maybe different programs of study you could get involved in that may take your life in a number of different directions? We do hear people talk about mistakes they made and how they think that perhaps their life could have been very different if they had made a different choice somewhere along the way.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are certainly stars beyond our observable universe. There are thus certainly other "universes" that are not causally linked to our own. We currently have no way of observing these distant places and no leads on what may someday allow us to.

Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
[serious];60927713 said:
We currently have no way of observing these distant places and no leads on what may someday allow us to.
All elements burn at a different color. So we can use spectrographic analysis to study what elements are in the different stars. So it is pretty safe to bet that if there is life on other planets than you will find the same carbon based life that you find here on earth. The natural laws are universal where ever you go.

Upvote 0

JoeyArnold

May 12, 2011
Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
.....we can use spectrographic analysis to study what elements are in the different stars.... the natural laws are universal where ever you go

why universal? why do the natural laws have to be universal? whatever happened to situational ethics? if different people do different things. if different countries, cultures, religions, clubs, cities, people, function differently. some parents spank. some parents yell. some parents put their kids on timeout. the laws and rules seem to be different at certain times, places, people. it seems to depend on the situation. so what if the rules were different in different galaxies, solar systems, universes, dimensions, etc? are how things are here the same everywhere? most scientists will argue that the same rules do apply everywhere, universally. it does make sense that everything would be the same everywhere. but does it have to be?

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
why universal? why do the natural laws have to be universal?

We typically assume so. If they weren't universal, it would be pretty much impossible to make any predictions about anything.

whatever happened to situational ethics? if different people do different things. if different countries, cultures, religions, clubs, cities, people, function differently. some parents spank. some parents yell. some parents put their kids on timeout. the laws and rules seem to be different at certain times, places, people.
Those aren't laws of physics, those are local customs. Essentially you're comparing apples to oranges. I wouldn't expect human customs to be universal, whereas I would expect gravity to function the same everywhere.

it seems to depend on the situation. so what if the rules were different in different galaxies, solar systems, universes, dimensions, etc?
If the laws of physics were different from one situation to the next, one solar system to the next, it would be pretty much impossible to predict anything in space based upon the laws of nature as we understand them in this solar system.

are how things are here the same everywhere?
Well, for starters light shines from distant suns, planets orbit suns in distant solar systems and the various elements we find here we also find in space which emit light at the same wavelength as they do on Earth.

most scientists will argue that the same rules do apply everywhere, universally.
Hmm. I doubt that actually. I've seen a few such arguments over the years, but very few.

it does make sense that everything would be the same everywhere. but does it have to be?
I'm not even sure how to answer that. I suppose that they don't have to be the same everywhere, but then why would they be any different if atoms are the same everywhere?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoeyArnold

May 12, 2011
Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm personally a fan of Plasma Cosmology theory or Electric Universe theory. That theory tends to suggests that our one universe is infinite and eternal.
In Plasma Cosmology, if they're right, that the universe is in fact singular (just one universe) that is infinite (and/or expanding, or not expanding & is already infinite) & eternal, then does that mean that there cannot be other universes? No? Well, I am ok with that. because there would be no more space for other universes. Our infinite universe would be hogging up all the space. But at the same time, what about other universes that are contain in other dimensions? because an infinite universe only spans this dimension, right? an infinite universe does not span to all possible dimensions, right? If we can assume that if our universe is infinite, and if we can assume that our infinite universe only spans this dimension that we exist in, this plane that we live in, then we also have to assume that if there were other dimensions then other universes would have to exist in those other dimensions, right? but only if there were other dimensions, right? does universe mean the same as dimension? because you have to ask yourself what universe even means? Galaxy means a collection of millions or billions of solar systems...... and then their are like chains or groups of galaxies or clusters or whatever..... and maybe bigger things too.... but what is universe? what does universe mean? does universe mean a cluster of trillions and trillions of clusters of clusters of clusters of galaxy groups made up of trillions of and trillions of galaxies...... or trillions of qua-drums.... or how do you spell this word found in star trek for things like the delta quadrum and the alpha quadrum..... does universe mean everything? or universe just means the known universe of what we can see? does universe mean the same as dimension? are there multiple dimensions in a given universe? or are there multiple universes in given dimensions?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
what do you think? i want to hear what you think, even if you do not believe in God. now, if you do not believe in God & do not think it is possible to have other universes, then I want to know why. in my mind, if there is no God, then why not infinite amounts of universes?

I don't have any really good reason to believe that there are other universes, but I don't think that it is impossible. Certainly, there is some interesting (though speculative) physics theories that suggest that it might be the case.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
In Plasma Cosmology, if they're right, that the universe is in fact singular (just one universe) that is infinite (and/or expanding, or not expanding & is already infinite) & eternal, then does that mean that there cannot be other universes? No? Well, I am ok with that. because there would be no more space for other universes. Our infinite universe would be hogging up all the space.

I'd be ok with it too. :) Eternity and infinity are *extremely* difficult concepts for humans to wrap their head around. They tend to think in human terms that are representative of the human condition, like beginnings and endings. The notion of an infinite and eternal universe is hard to fully understand, but you definitely have the basic idea.

But at the same time, what about other universes that are contain in other dimensions? because an infinite universe only spans this dimension, right? an infinite universe does not span to all possible dimensions, right? If we can assume that if our universe is infinite, and if we can assume that our infinite universe only spans this dimension that we exist in, this plane that we live in, then we also have to assume that if there were other dimensions then other universes would have to exist in those other dimensions, right? but only if there were other dimensions, right? does universe mean the same as dimension? because you have to ask yourself what universe even means?

Nothing about our "universe" necessarily implies extra dimensions IMO, nor does it preclude them. String theory is typically cited in relationship to additional dimensions, but it is typically used to explain a 'bang" theory. I'm not sure how well it could be modified to fit an infinite universe scenario, but it's an interesting question. I'm sure that there is a *lot* that humans really can't fathom about our own physical universe, let alone understand all of what composes 'physical reality'.

Keep in mind we really only understand a small segment of the EM spectrum. In the broader scheme of things, lots of stuff could be occurring on scales we can't even fathom, both at the 'small' and 'large' ends of the spectrum.

Galaxy means a collection of millions or billions of solar systems...... and then their are like chains or groups of galaxies or clusters or whatever..... and maybe bigger things too.... but what is universe? what does universe mean? does universe mean a cluster of trillions and trillions of clusters of clusters of clusters of galaxy groups made up of trillions of and trillions of galaxies...... or trillions of qua-drums.... or how do you spell this word found in star trek for things like the delta quadrum and the alpha quadrum..... does universe mean everything? or universe just means the known universe of what we can see? does universe mean the same as dimension? are there multiple dimensions in a given universe? or are there multiple universes in given dimensions?
You are essentially interested in multiverse theory. You might want to start there in terms of looking for ideas. As I mentioned, string theory is typically the "scientific' (mathematically quantified) theory that implies additional dimensions. I don't see why such a mutliverse setup wouldn't also allow for infinite/eternal universes to exists in at least some of those dimensions. I'm afraid I can't help you with the math. I'll admit that string theory is simply over my head and I don't have the patience to spend the time to properly learn it mathematically. At the moment I'm investing my time in understanding various mathematical models to explain plasma redshift and seeing how well they apply to cosmological observations. It's more up my alley actually.

Upvote 0

JoeyArnold

May 12, 2011
Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
String theory typically implies additional dimensions.
We know of the three dimensions of depth, height, width. The fourth dimension might be time. Demons, aliens, creatures, may exist in the fifth dimension. Who knows how many dimension might exist. But I am not just interested in these kinds of dimensions because these dimensions interlock with each other. They depend on each other. I am also interested in isolated dimensions or alternate realities, parallel universes, alternate timelines, alternate dimensions. Not just additional dimensions that allow aliens to hide in plain sight, to hide in the air, to go into a magic door in the sky and hide behind the sky. That is nice. It is nice to have additional dimensions in this reality that we live in.

But what if there was an alternate universe that existed in an alternate dimension, which comes with an alternate timeline included in that deal for free. I am saying something that is totally separate from our universe. Something that is not simply really far away from us.

In other words, you cannot hop in a spaceship and fly to another universe, at least not according to this theory, because spaceships can only travel through our three dimensions of space. But the other universe would exist in an alternate dimension. But the other universe would not exist in the fourth or fifth or 500th dimension. It would exist in a dimension that is unrelated to our dimensions. And from our perspective, the other universe wouldn't exist because there seems to be no window or way to communicate with the other universe.

Sure, God could hop from one universe to the other, but other than that, I have no idea how anybody would find a way to get to the other universe.

Unless if our universe was connected to the universe via some subnet... or something that the two universes rests on....... because then you would just have to find a way to manipulate the universe holders in order to unlock the gates between universes. But if the universes are not bridged by a third-party, then there would be no way to bridge the gap between realities, as far as I think.

Upvote 0

Osiris

Übermensch
Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
✟4,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

what do you think? i want to hear what you think, even if you do not believe in God. now, if you do not believe in God & do not think it is possible to have other universes, then I want to know why. in my mind, if there is no God, then why not infinite amounts of universes? i do believe in God, but i do not think it is impossible for other universes to exist.

There is a difference between parallel universes, and just a plain vanilla multiverse.

Parallel universes suggest that, there are millions of universes where there are dopplegangers of myself, that do similar things but then do things that are different. That, seems very implausible, because if my father were to have done something minor, millions of those times, he might have never met my mother, and there wouldn't be billions of me, and the less amount of me there are, the less chances of my child to exist as well.

What it is very likely, however, is that Multiverses could exist...

i also want to know if there are windows or portals that can allow us to see into other worlds, dimensions, universes, or what have you, and i want to know where the doors or stargate gateways are so that we may go these other worlds. are we alone in this universe? is there life on mars? is the truth out there?

Physicists theorize wormholes could serve as windows to a different section in space that would shorten the travel...

will we someday make star trek spaceships and discover aliens and travel the stars and solve mysteries and encounter the borg and star wars and ET and other crazy things or did God or the big bang or aliens or whatever only made us? i want to hear from everybody about anything..... even if u are a troll, u can join in the party here..... maybe we can talk about quantum theories or string theories or other crazy things too. and are dinosaurs aliens? and were the Egyptian pyramids made by aliens? are the men in black right about how aliens are all around us? are there aliens? or is the world just full of angel and buffy the vampire slayer vampires, zombies, demons, monsters, things, etc.....????

I know you said that trolls are welcomed... but... :mmh:

Upvote 0

JoeyArnold

May 12, 2011
Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is a difference between parallel universes, and just a plain vanilla multiverse. Physicists theorize wormholes could serve as windows to a different section in space that would shorten the travel.

Multiverses & parallel universes have similarities with each other. The major difference is that a parallel universe is more likely to parallel us. Maybe I'm a girl in a parallel universe. Maybe I live in Japan in the parallel universe. Maybe Japan is made of cheese there. So in other words, a parallel universe would parallel our universe (or we're paralleling them). If there were only two universes, & the other one was a parallel one, then it would have to be kind of like our universe because that is what parallel means. It means similar.

But if there were two universes, & if the other universe was not parallel with ours but was instead simply part of the multiverse. Then there would not be another me in that other universe. Or at least it would be unlikely. But that is only if there were only two different universes. The difference between parallel & multiverse would be huge then, if there were only two different universes.

However, if there are an unending amount of universes, then it would not matter if the different universes were of the multiverse or if they were all parallel because probability would force the multiverse to have some parallel universes in them. Because with an infinite amount of universes, each one being different like a snow flake, eventually some will start looking like a twin to another. Have you ever ran into a twin? There are so many people. It kind of happens at times. People are like parallel to each other. Houses are parallel to each other. Cars, too. There tend to be similarities with different things. If there were infinite amount of universes, then the parallels would have to come eventually, no matter how hard you try to keep it from coming.

The Enterprise spaceship, in Star Trek Next Generation, ran into this vortex or portal or something. This thing was breaking through the fabrics of space, dimensions, universes. It was a mess. It sort of like a window or mirror. They looked & they started seeing millions of other Enterprise spaceships. Then they tried talking to each other. So I was able to see the different characters from the different parallel universes. So each Captain Picard looked a little different. It was all very interesting.

I am not sure what caused such a hole between the different universes, but I do not think it was a worm hole or a black hole. I wonder if black holes could function like worm holes. And then there are those giant space monsters that are the size of galaxies or whatever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am saying something that is totally separate from our universe.
Would this other universe follow the same set of natural laws or would the laws be different? Actually there is a lot of universe that we are a part of that we are not able to see. Our natural senses are only aware of a very small part of the universe we live in. Of course science gives us tools to be aware of a lot more then we otherwise would be able to know or perceive.

You actually do a pretty good job of explaining yourself. Your communication skills are fairly good.

if black holes could function like worm holes.
Not the same at all. I have had visions of something like "worm holes" as if they were like fiber optics. This is the only way to get from one place to another in a universe as large as ours. Because according to Physics we can not travel faster then the speed of light. That would require to much energy. The idea that they can put the space ship on warp speed does not really work out in the real world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Enterprise spaceship, in Star Trek Next Generation, ran into this vortex or portal or something. This thing was breaking through the fabrics of space, dimensions, universes. It was a mess. It sort of like a window or mirror. They looked & they started seeing millions of other Enterprise spaceships. Then they tried talking to each other. So I was able to see the different characters from the different parallel universes. So each Captain Picard looked a little different. It was all very interesting.
Sounds like a multi faceted diamond with lots and lots of reflective surfaces. That is why they sparkle.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

but if you are a christian, and you do not believe in other universes, then why not? you may want to say because God never talks about it according to the six day creation found in genesis. you may also want to say that God only made what God said He made and that God has no other secrets up His sleeves. you may want to say that if God made other universes, or other planets with aliens on them, or other dimensions, then God would have told us about it then. i believe that if we needed to know about them then God can always tell us about them, but i do not think God tells us everything and i do not think God tells us things we do not need to know, but that does not mean God could not have made other universes, planets, dimensions, aliens, whatever, just because God never told us, right? or maybe God tells some of us about these things.

if you believe in aliens, or any of these other things, i would love to know why or how or where or whatever.

Universe by definition means "all that exists". So there can't be another universe because what you might call another Universe is a part of the one Universe. The only thing that isn't a part of the Universe is outter space

Ken

Upvote 0