Are there any verses that talk about anything similar to the First Sale Doctrine?

Jun 5, 2018
Bakersfield
✟16,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was curious if the Bible says anything about a law similar to the First Sale Doctrine? I ask because I just purchased a used book that was only 5 dollars, and the actual book itself is 50 dollars total. I know there are passages about trading and making a fair deal without greed. But want to make sure what I did was lawful in God's eyes. Thank you for any hints.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I was curious if the Bible says anything about a law similar to the First Sale Doctrine? I ask because I just purchased a used book that was only 5 dollars, and the actual book itself is 50 dollars total. I know there are passages about trading and making a fair deal without greed. But want to make sure what I did was lawful in God's eyes. Thank you for any hints.
caveat emptor: I am not a lawyer (heaven be praised! :) ) , and this was found in a 0.36 second search on the internet:

No worries at all. It has nothing to do with your purchase or any similar purchase legally accomplished.

note: https://www.justice.gov/usam/crimin...54-copyright-infringement-first-sale-doctrine
The first sale doctrine, codified at 17 U.S.C. § 109, provides that an individual who knowingly purchases a copy of a copyrighted work from the copyright holder receives the right to sell, display or otherwise dispose of that particular copy, notwithstanding the interests of the copyright owner. The right to distribute ends, however, once the owner has sold that particular copy. See 17 U.S.C. § 109(a) & (c). Since the first sale doctrine never protects a defendant who makes unauthorized reproductions of a copyrighted work, the first sale doctrine cannot be a successful defense in cases that allege infringing reproduction.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you are asking whether if you bought an old book at a cheap price, 2nd hand, whether that is fundamentally unfair to the copyright owner (sometimes that's the living author) to buy a used copy (also, at a cheap price too). If not what you meant just correct me. The answer is that's fine because typically the original sale was legitimate, and the author already received the royalties/payment for the original sale (also, we expect you aren't making a profit on the book such as doing a wrong thing like copying it on a printer yourself to make illegal copies, etc.). About the non-legal question of getting a cheap price -- by buying a used copy, you usually make do with a less than perfect copy, but if it happens it's a perfect copy, it's like the seller gave you a gift, but the copyright holder still got their fair share originally already in the first sale.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Matthew 13:44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.

Matthew 13:45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
Matthew 13:46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

He has found a treasure someone else hid, and it is on someone elses land. He re-hides it so no one finds it, then he goes to sell his things so that he can get enough money to buy the field, and then legally own the treasure hidden there.

If it was rightfully his by finding it then he could have simply taken it home. It was found on someone elses property which means it lawfully belonged to the owner of the property. The "joy thereof" was knowing that he would gain so much more than he was going to have to sell and spend to get it.

Lets say you are out hiking, maybe lost on someone elses property. You discover gold, or oil or whatever. You are knowledgeable on the subject and you know its worth millions. You go home and find out that the land is actually for sale. You sell everything you have to barely raise the cash knowing that its guaranteed to reward you many times over.

So if this is ok in God's eyes, then buying a 50 dollar book for 5 dollars is easily fine. It would have been ok to have paid 5 dollars for the book if the book was worth 300 billion dollars.

Upvote 0