Are the souls of some babies predestined to hell?

Are there souls of babies in hell?

• Depends on the family and the covenant relationship with God.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Babies go to limbo.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If our individual salvation is predestined as Calvinism seems to suggest, are there babies in hell?

If you hold to the Western view of original sin that conclusion is inevitable. Personally I don't. I hold to the Eastern view, in that original sin creates a propensity to sin, but guilt does not attach until sin is complete.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟842,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The way I understand predestination, it means only that God knows in advance who is going to accept the call and who isn't. Not that He's already decided, and there's nothing we can do about it. I don't believe babies, small children, or people with severe mental disability go to hell, because they aren't capable of knowing right from wrong and then deliberately choosing to do wrong. I do believe we are all born with a sin nature, but it doesn't "kick in" until we know what we're doing.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟842,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Calvinism is incorrect. And you do not have an option I could vote for.
I didn't think so either, but "babies go straight to Heaven," I can get on board with.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is sufficient scripture to indicate that God's judgment takes into consideration what a person knows about Him and how that person handled that knowledge.

And should not I pity Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know their right hand from their left Jonah 4

Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains."-- John 9

The servant who knows the master's will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows.

But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows.

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.
-- Luke 12

The scriptural indication is that the more ignorant of God a person is, the more merciful God is to him.

Babies may not be absolutely innocent, but the are absolutely ignorant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
If our individual salvation is predestined as Calvinism seems to suggest, are there babies in hell?
I'm the first to vote "who are we to question God's judgement..." I don't mean to pompously cut out of the debate, but the statement you give there does not imply either way what God does with the souls of babies.

For those who would have a cow over the idea of some of them being predestined to eternal punishment, remember that God will give to a person only exactly what they deserve. The Judge of all the World will do what is right. Be thankful that if He indwells you, your sins have been paid by Christ.

My personal opinion is that infants can indeed be rebellious toward what their spirits know is God, and their immature spirits can also love God. It is up to God.

I have seen that some people, as my father put it, "....just seem to come to know God." Salvation is not the result of a personal decision, nor acceptance of a gift, but by the choice and action of God alone. It is he who indwells as he sees fit. The personal acquiescence is the unavoidable result. Notice in this discussion I have not included the work of the spoken or written gospel to bring the elect to God. I don't mean to discredit that, because the understanding has everything to do with what and how God works. But the newborn has little understanding, except in his spirit.

But when even in the womb, the baby learns by the things around him. If, for example, family devotions are held, it goes a long way to affecting the spirit of the baby.

That is not the whole story, but no, there is no talisman to hold a child in the grace of God until their maturity.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Happily for us and for babies,,,,Calvin was wrong.
Babies have no sin and we get to choose where we want to spend eternity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What would be your option??
It seems like they're all there...
That gentile babies are born on the tree of destruction until they repent and are grafted into the cultivated olive tree (Rom 11) which would tend to say they go to hell; BUT - we also know thru all of scripture that God is both merciful and just. That tends to say they would be in Heaven.

So really we have no idea one way or the other.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God does what is right with each baby, born or unborn, who dies.

The Bible indicates how all have sinned, all have been born in sin; so I won't guarantee that a young one is guaranteed Heaven. And I have seen how unselfish little ones readily become. Their nature is not necessarily about loving any and all people like Jesus wants >

"if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" Jesus says in Matthew 5:46.

So, ones who possess children can make them love idols, and such babies can learn how to act charming so they get things they want. There are unborn who already have the nature for this, they already are seeds of how they will become when they are older.

Our nature has a lot to do with where we are ready to spend eternity. We are accountable, but our real nature has a lot to do with what we choose to do. So, we need to be conformed to Jesus so this can spread to our children, by the ministry of our example, and do not be wishful.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Babies have no way of knowing what sin is nor are capable of making choices in that regard, therefore I believe they will go to heaven and the Lord wants as many as possible in heaven. He came to save not destroy. Amen.

Luke 9

56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not a Calvinist myself. I don't believe in salvation by a pre-birth election. I believe in salvation by faith in Christ. But I understand the question, though I would ask it different. I would ask whether Calvinist believe that there are people in hell who didn't personally sin. I know their "imputation of guilt" concept whereby people are simply reckoned guilty of the sins of their ancestors - guilt by association, which I reject. My question would be concerning the person's personal sins. That kind of gets at what you're implying about babies.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That gentile babies are born on the tree of destruction until they repent and are grafted into the cultivated olive tree (Rom 11) which would tend to say they go to hell; BUT - we also know thru all of scripture that God is both merciful and just. That tends to say they would be in Heaven.

So really we have no idea one way or the other.
So you believe Adam's sin is imputed to every human being when born?

I believe we suffer the consequences of his sin,,,but are not held peronally responsible for that sin.

There are many verses ---
dinner now...

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0