Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The "liberty" you choose is perpetual disagreement over even the basics of Christian doctrine while the body's unity fragments more and more each year?

Ever since Martin Luther first nailed stuff to doorways, Protestants seem to want to relitigate the faith every generation. And so far, it looks as though they chip more and more away from the faith every time.

Assuming Protestantism even has another hundred years, I think it's fair to ask if it will even be recognizably Christian anymore because of how much it might have jettisoned by that point.

Protestantism has existed for 500 years. It will exist for another 500, I'll tell you. The RCC will also last another 500 years.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Protestantism has existed for 500 years. It will exist for another 500, I'll tell you. The RCC will also last another 500 years.

Unless the Lord Jesus returns.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unless the Lord Jesus returns.

The spiritual body of believers will continue until He comes back.

Also: It is sheer arrogance to think that any amount of works could please the LORD. Jesus spoke about that, saying that people will speak in His name. In fact, He never knew them. They, in their fruitless vainglory, accrued unto themselves lavish attention using the name of the LORD to somehow 'sanctify' their selfish excess. In that, they worship themselves, for the truth of the LORD was far from their hearts; they thought that they could merit themselves grace but they were in error.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Scripture doesn't stand alone, if that's what your question is. When you force Scripture to do so, you have chaos- a hundred, a thousand, and a high estimate places the number at 40,000 different denominations all claiming Scripture to be "sufficiently clear" (whatever that should mean) while all are tugging in radically different directions.

And Satan is laughing all the way to the bank.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Scripture doesn't stand alone, if that's what your question is. When you force Scripture to do so, you have chaos- a hundred, a thousand, and a high estimate places the number at 40,000 different denominations all claiming Scripture to be "sufficiently clear" (whatever that should mean) while all are tugging in radically different directions.

Jesus alone can unite.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

So just to be clear...

You deny that the Scriptures are sufficiently clear?

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Seems like the existence of thousands of conflicting manmade denominations who can't agree with one another about the meaning of a single scriptural passage should be proof enough that Sola Scripture does not and cannot result in scriptural truth. Truth cannot conflict with truth, and conflicting beliefs therefore necessarily mean false beliefs. Scripture itself tells us that Jesus Christ founded ONE Church, that He said it was to remain ONE, and that He promised that ONE Church, and no other, "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". 2,000 years later, that ONE Church remains ONE in belief, ONE in teaching, ONE in worship, ONE in scriptural understanding, with NO conflicting denominations. Seriously, what more do you need?

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
So just to be clear...

You deny that the Scriptures are sufficiently clear?
I do, if (did I get your attention?) it means what I think it means.

What do I think it means? It's in the post you quoted.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I do, if (did I get your attention?) it means what I think it means.

What do I think it means? It's in the post you quoted.

I would say that the Scriptures are able, all on their own, to tell a person all they need to know in order to be saved and to live a life pleasing to God.

Do you deny this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Seems like the existence of thousands of conflicting manmade denominations who can't agree with one another about the meaning of a single scriptural passage should be proof enough that Sola Scripture does not and cannot result in scriptural truth. Truth cannot conflict with truth, and conflicting beliefs therefore necessarily mean false beliefs. Scripture itself tells us that Jesus Christ founded ONE Church, that He said it was to remain ONE, and that He promised that ONE Church, and no other, "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". 2,000 years later, that ONE Church remains ONE in belief, ONE in teaching, ONE in worship, ONE in scriptural understanding, with NO conflicting denominations. Seriously, what more do you need?

So it is your position that the Scriptures are not sufficiently clear?

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I would say that the Scriptures are able, all on their own, to tell a person all they need to know in order to be saved and to live a life pleasing to God.

Do you deny this?
I say that I wouldn't know what makes up Scripture at all if Jesus' Church hadn't come together to make the determination.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 3 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, 3 for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking [a]like mere men? 4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not mere men?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, humanly speaking, the Church wrote the New Testament and was protected from error during that process. The Church went on to compile the biblical canon and was similarly protected from error during that entire process.

But the Church won't (or can't?) be protected from error at any other time in any other context?
Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. Was this error?

Reactions: Tree of Life
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I did- and I also hinted at what works with Scripture. It's foolish and impossible to put Scripture in a vacuum.

I'm afraid you're not really grappling with the doctrine. Sola Scriptura does not teach that other authorities are irrelevant.

I will assume that you deny that Scripture is able, all on its own, to teach a person what they need to know to be saved and to live a life pleasing to God. I will assume you believe that more authoritative words are needed.

These assumptions in mind...

Could you provide an example of a doctrine that is necessary for salvation or good works which is not clearly taught in Scripture?

Upvote 0