Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Scripture is only clear if read correctly with no interpretation that contradicts any other part of scripture.

The scribes and Pharisees also thought they understood, but where called hypocrites and vipers for their lack of understanding.

Knowing the Scriptures: How to Read and Understand the Bible

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Scripture doesn't stand alone, if that's what your question is. When you force Scripture to do so, you have chaos- a hundred, a thousand, and a high estimate places the number at 40,000 different denominations all claiming Scripture to be "sufficiently clear" (whatever that should mean) while all are tugging in radically different directions.

And Satan is laughing all the way to the bank.
He's gleeful because no one is bothering to USE, pick up and use
their sword of the Spirit (Word of God) to fight back!
Everyone arguing over it rather than using IS kind of
comical, in a sick way.
BTW, if Jesus were standing in a great assembly, SPEAKING
the book of, let's say, Genesis or Romans or w/e, there
would STILL be 40,000 different understandings HA!
True!
Even the disciples got off track! And they were taught nfrom His very lips.

We need to address PRIDE, we need to humble ourselves and "prefer others
above ourselves" etc.
We need to let go of our manmade crap..
IMO IJS :)

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
NOW READ WHAT IRENAUS ACTUALLY SAYS

He refers to the church as the custodian of truth.
Just as scripture says the church is the foundation of truth.
Read 3
1. It is within the power of all, therefore, in every Church, who may wish to see the truth, to contemplate clearly the tradition of the apostles manifested throughout the whole world; and we are in a position to reckon up those who were by the apostles instituted bishops in the Churches, and [to demonstrate] the succession of these men to our own times;
And 4
"1. Since therefore we have such proofs, it is not necessary to seek the truth among others which it is easy to obtain from the Church; since the apostles, like a rich man [depositing his money] in a bank, lodged in her hands most copiously all things pertaining to the truth: so that every man, whosoever will, can draw from her the 417 water of life."

So not sola scriptura then.
In fact at the time...not even scriptura as the MAIN means of faith passage.
The books may have existed, they were yet to be canonised, and false ones removed.

Scritpure supplements tradition, it does not live in place of it.

And as section III says...the perpetual succession of bishops who appointed each other fromt he first.
We can trace them back.
Do you even have any?
Luther renounced his succession. When he wanted to renounce the authority of the church.

And EUREKA !
YOu have finally got what tradition means - your "specific way "is exactly what the church means by tradition. It is only protesants who misinterpret it as doctrine added to scripture. Scripture cannot be interpreted correctly without tradition.
and that is how Jesus chose the faith was passed on.
Paradosis Handing down.
I prefer Jesus's way, to the medieaval falsehood that is sola scritpura

It is not how protestants misrepresent tradition
Tradition gives the true meaning to scripture.
Which is why succession is critical.

And then when you accept the authority of the church, and tradition
Listen to what scripture means.

I leave it for our readers to discover the church handed down.
A sacramental liturgical church, that believed the eucharist REALLY WAS the "flesh of jesus" valid only if performed by bishops in succesion. In short the catholic church.
It is still there. Believes the same things. For sure it grew from acorn to Oak.

I am well aware the luther quote was a letter (i think) to antwerp in (I think) 1523
My interest is in getting people to read source. Not cherry pick as all protesants do
Luther blames the devil for the fact others do not agree with him on his personal meaning of scriptura. When sola scriptura was clearly his problem. Everyone else did what he did. Invented their very own version, instead of as iraneaus said - listen to the church.

I want them to read ignatius, iraneus, justin martyr and so on.
Realise that they have been sold garbage by evangelicals and reformers.

And I read what is there in early church doctrine same as RCC doctrine.
READ IGNATIUS TO SMYRNEANS! - Justin martyr - See what the eucharist really is. Not how many reformers profane it.

The problem you are having is that you are trying to anachronistically read modern RC doctrine back into the Early Church Fathers instead of letting the ECF be the ECF. It doesn't work, does it?

1/Actually, it is apostolic tradition who validity can be proven by provenance of bishops of Rome. I might add that he is using tradition in a very specific way throughout his writings. That is like a relay runner handing the bar to the next runner. And where does he point to as being in agreement with apostolic tradition?
2/We agree. That is why I generally will refer to the church of Rome as such and not the Catholic church because she holds to doctrines that are most certainly NOT catholic (modern Rome that is).
3/ Irenaeus states as much because of point 1.

I have read Irenaeus but I am not sure that you have. I have not taken him out of context and have made sure that when I have quoted him that I quote enough of the relevant section to establish context. The only person here who quoted something out of context was you quoting Luther which of this writing is still present in your previous post. I am not the one cherry picking. So if you have had a change of heart about cherry picking you might want to add a footnote or remove it from your post. I'll end my post with relevant quote to help you.

If Protestant arguments are so easily refuted then why are you struggling here? I am sure most of the time you can clobber ignorant protestants over the head with history and the ECF. Which in all fairness ignorance of seems to be the default position of many a protestant.

And you still haven't answered my question about Tradition.

Many thanks to @FenderTL5 (Whom I am secretly wondering if he is a Tele guy too) for the research.

"Letter of doctor Martin to the Christians of Antwerp."
We believed, during the reign of the pope, that the spirits which make a noise and disturbance in the night, were those of the souls of men, who after death, return and wander about in expiation of their sins. This error, thank God, has been discovered by the Gospel, and it is known at present, that they are not the souls of men, but nothing else than those malicious devils who used to deceive men by false answers. It is they that have brought so much idolatry into the world.The devil seeing that this sort of disturbance could not last, has devised a new one; and begins to rage in his members, I mean in the ungodly, through whom he makes his way in all sorts of chimerical follies and extravagant doctrines. This won't have baptism, that denies the efficacy of the Lord's supper; a third, puts a world between this and the last judgment ; others teach that Jesus Christ is not God ; some say this, others that ; and there are almost as many sects and beliefs as there are heads.

I must cite one instance, by way of exemplification, for I have plenty to do with these sort of spirits. There is not one of them that does think himself more learned than Luther; they all try to win their spurs against me; and would to heaven that they were all such as they think themselves, and that I were nothing! The one of whom I speak assured me, amongst other things, that lie was sent to me by the God of heaven and earth, and talked most magnificently, but the clown peeped through all. At last, he ordered me to read the books of Moses. I asked for a sign in confirmation of this order, ' It is,' said he, ' written in the gospel of St. John.' By this time I had heard enough, and I told him, to come again, for that we should not have time, just now, to read the books of Moses. . . .

I have plenty to do in the course of the year with these poor people: the devil could not have found a better pretext for tormenting me. As yet the world had been full of those clamorous spirits without bodies, who oppressed the souls of men; now they have bodies, and give themselves out for living angels . . .When the pope reigned we heard nothing of these troubles. The strong one (the devil) was in peace in his fortress; but now that a stronger one than he is come, and prevails against him and drives him out, as the Gospel says, he storms and comes forth with noise and fury.

Dear friends, one of these spirits of disorder has come amongst you in flesh and blood; he would lead you astray with the inventions of his pride: beware of him.First, he tells you that all men have the Holy Ghost. Secondly, that the Holy Ghost is nothing more than our reason and our understanding. Thirdly, that all men have faith. Fourthly, that there is no hell, that at least the flesh only will be damned. Fifthly, that all souls will enjoy eternal life. Sixthly, that nature itself teaches us to do to our neighbour what we would he should do to us ; this he calls faith. Seventhly, that the law is not violated by concupiscence, so long as we are not consenting to the pleasure. Eighthly, that he that has not the Holy Ghost, is also without sin, for he is destitute of reason.All these are audacious propositions, vain imaginations; if we except the seventh, the others are not worthy of reply. . . .It is sufficient for us to know that God wills no sin. As to his sufferance of sin, we ought not to approach the question. The servant is not to know his master's secrets, simply his master's orders: how much less should a poor creature attempt to scrutinize or sound the mysteries and the majesty of the Creator ? . . ." To learn the law of God, and to know his soul Jesus Christ, is sufficient to absorb the whole of life. . . . A.D. 1525." (Luth. Werke,tom. ii. p. 61,sqq.)

The relevant section is actually from III/III:

1. It is within the power of all, therefore, in every Church, who may wish to see the truth, to contemplate clearly the tradition of the apostles manifested throughout the whole world; and we are in a position to reckon up those who were by the apostles instituted bishops in the Churches, and [to demonstrate] the succession of these men to our own times; those who neither taught nor knew of anything like what these [heretics] rave about. For if the apostles had known hidden mysteries, which they were in the habit of imparting to “the perfect” apart and privily from the rest, they would have delivered them especially to those to whom they were also committing the Churches themselves. For they were desirous that these men should be very perfect and blameless in all things, whom also they were leaving behind as their successors, delivering up their own place of government to these men; which men, if they discharged their functions honestly, would be a great boon [to the Church], but if they should fall away, the direst calamity.
2. Since, however, it would be very tedious, in such a volume as this, to reckon up the successions of all the Churches, we do put to confusion all those who, in whatever manner, whether by an evil self-pleasing, by vainglory, or by blindness and perverse opinion, assemble in unauthorized meetings; [we do this, I say,] by indicating that tradition derived from the apostles, of the very great, the very ancient, and universally known Church founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul; as also [by pointing out] the faith preached to men, which comes down to our time by means of the successions of the bishops. For it is a matter of necessity that every Church should agree with this Church, on account of its pre-eminent authority, that is, the faithful everywhere, p 416 inasmuch as the apostolical tradition has been preserved continuously by those [faithful men] who exist everywhere.
3. The blessed apostles, then, having founded and built up the Church, committed into the hands of Linus the office of the episcopate. Of this Linus, Paul makes mention in the Epistles to Timothy. To him succeeded Anacletus; and after him, in the third place from the apostles, Clement was allotted the bishopric. This man, as he had seen the blessed apostles, and had been conversant with them, might be said to have the preaching of the apostles still echoing [in his ears], and their traditions before his eyes. Nor was he alone [in this], for there were many still remaining who had received instructions from the apostles. In the time of this Clement, no small dissension having occurred among the brethren at Corinth, the Church in Rome despatched a most powerful letter to the Corinthians, exhorting them to peace, renewing their faith, and declaring the tradition which it had lately received from the apostles, proclaiming the one God, omnipotent, the Maker of heaven and earth, the Creator of man, who brought on the deluge, and called Abraham, who led the people from the land of Egypt, spake with Moses, set forth the law, sent the prophets, and who has prepared fire for the devil and his angels. From this document, whosoever chooses to do so, may learn that He, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, was preached by the Churches, and may also understand the apostolical tradition of the Church, since this Epistle is of older date than these men who are now propagating falsehood, and who conjure into existence another god beyond the Creator and the Maker of all existing things. To this Clement there succeeded Evaristus. Alexander followed Evaristus; then, sixth from the apostles, Sixtus was appointed; after him, Telephorus, who was gloriously martyred; then Hyginus; after him, Pius; then after him, Anicetus. Soter having succeeded Anicetus, Eleutherius does now, in the twelfth place from the apostles, hold the inheritance of the episcopate. In this order, and by this succession, the ecclesiastical tradition from the apostles, and the preaching of the truth, have come down to us. And this is most abundant proof that there is one and the same vivifying faith, which has been preserved in the Church from the apostles until now, and handed down in truth.

Irenaeus of Lyons. (1885). Irenæus against Heresies. In A. Roberts, J. Donaldson, & A. C. Coxe (Eds.), The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus (Vol. 1, pp. 415–416). Buffalo, NY: Christian Literature Company.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This was according to what Irenaeus wrote in Against Heresies Book III, chapter 1, section 1.
I'm sorry I should have directed by question instead of assuming it was understood. Your emphasized text implied that Irenaeus' statement is proof that in his view paradosis is scriptures. I apologize if that is mistaken.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you asking why I used the term "sola ecclesia?" Having some difficulty what point you are trying to make from the post I actually made to another poster.
I don't know why that question would be making my point.. I thought my point is obvious in the body of text above the question. The question was an aside, but it is to find if in your view the Catholic claim of authority to teach the Scriptures is also a claim that that teaching is the expression of the word of God in it's entirety.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Indeed.

Non denoms are even worse than that.
They set themselve above all churches.
snip

Its hard to identify non-denoms. I've been to two protestant churches, hillsong and Every Nation. I have a lot of respect for them because of how the members have such a strong passion for christ and i think it's because of how good these churches are in their evangelical messages (i wonder how their pastors are so rich, but that's another argument). I thought they were non-denoms because of how their services was all about making people feel good and emotionally healed about following Jesus, and i think they were labeled non-denoms... but then i find out that Hillsong is pentacostal and then Every Nation is evangelical (while some sites say they are neo-pentacostal or non denoms). The amount of different protestant denominations is confusing.

I will give them credit on being good on doing messages and evangelizing. The Catholic church has these neo-pentacostal stuff too but you really need to dig in order to find them unlike in protestant churches where you can actually get a "spiritual" group of friends the moment you go in.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟708,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Read 3
1. It is within the power of all, therefore, in every Church, who may wish to see the truth, to contemplate clearly the tradition of the apostles manifested throughout the whole world; and we are in a position to reckon up those who were by the apostles instituted bishops in the Churches, and [to demonstrate] the succession of these men to our own times;
And 4
"1. Since therefore we have such proofs, it is not necessary to seek the truth among others which it is easy to obtain from the Church; since the apostles, like a rich man [depositing his money] in a bank, lodged in her hands most copiously all things pertaining to the truth: so that every man, whosoever will, can draw from her the 417 water of life."

The books may have existed, they were yet to be canonised, and false ones removed.

Scritpure supplements tradition, it does not live in place of it.

And as section III says...the perpetual succession of bishops who appointed each other fromt he first.
We can trace them back.
Do you even have any?
Luther renounced his succession. When he wanted to renounce the authority of the church.

And EUREKA !
YOu have finally got what tradition means - your "specific way "is exactly what the church means by tradition. It is only protesants who misinterpret it as doctrine added to scripture. Scripture cannot be interpreted correctly without tradition.
Paradosis Handing down.
I prefer Jesus's way, to the medieaval falsehood that is sola scritpura

Which is why succession is critical.

A sacramental liturgical church, that believed the eucharist REALLY WAS the "flesh of jesus" valid only if performed by bishops in succesion. In short the catholic church.
It is still there. Believes the same things. For sure it grew from acorn to Oak.

I am well aware the luther quote was a letter (i think) to antwerp in (I think) 1523
My interest is in getting people to read source. Not cherry pick as all protesants do
Luther blames the devil for the fact others do not agree with him on his personal meaning of scriptura. When sola scriptura was clearly his problem. Everyone else did what he did. Invented their very own version, instead of as iraneaus said - listen to the church.

I want them to read ignatius, iraneus, justin martyr and so on.
Realise that they have been sold garbage by evangelicals and reformers.

READ IGNATIUS TO SMYRNEANS! - Justin martyr - See what the eucharist really is. Not how many reformers profane it.

Read 3
And 4

The books may have existed, they were yet to be canonized, and false ones removed.

I’m not arguing Sola Scriptura is in operation at this point in history. Yes, the canon is being formed at this writing however the point is to demonstrate the books that would later become the new testament are being used in an authoritative way. Irenaeus does have the concept of a New Testament as demonstrated in book IV.

A second issue with your statement is the notion of canon. Canon from Greek κανών, ‘measuring rod’, ‘rule’. The canon is an artifact of the scriptures. The scriptures are authoritative whether they are included in a canon or not because of their divine quality not by church authority. The church recognized this divine quality and incorporated these book into the canon. The reason is scripture is said to be θεόπνευστος or theopneustos literally “God Breathed” according to 2 Tim 3:16. If a book is written that is theopneustos but is omitted from the canon because it was lost still retains its divine quality even if it is not in the canon. Alternatively, the church does not have the authority to make a book that is not theopneustos part of the canon. To put it another way, the books make the canon not the other way around. I agree that the 27 books that comprise the New Testament are the correct books and I do not believe that there are books that have not yet been found due to God’s providence.

What’s more is that the Rome’s definition of what makes up the biblical canon does not come until 1546. I realize that RC’s want to push the date of composition and recognition of the New Testament books as far out as possible, so they can claim councils of Carthage, Hippo and Rome defined the canon. The problem there is that those councils were local in nature and authority which is why Rome defines the canon during the council of Trent.

Scripture supplements tradition, it does not live in place of it.

It’s the other way around.

And as section III says...the perpetual succession of bishops who appointed each other from the first.

The text states only Sixtus was appointed. Furthermore, was it not a tradition for the bishop of Rome to be a consensus of clergy and laity? That’s tradition adding to what has been said.

We can trace them back.

Do you even have any?

No, LCMS is more congregational polity. There are some Lutheran bodies that do have and episcopal polity and claim apostolic succession.

Luther was not a Bishop. I do not know what you mean here.

And EUREKA !
You have finally got what tradition means - your "specific way "is exactly what the church means by tradition. It is only protestants who misinterpret it as doctrine added to scripture. Scripture cannot be interpreted correctly without tradition.
Paradosis Handing down.
I prefer Jesus's way, to the mediaeval falsehood that is sola scriptura

Παράδοσις Paradosis, Tradition. Noun, handing down, passing on a teaching, or ordinance. Yes, that’s what the word means in this form and case. Not sure what you thought I meant.

Again, where do we find what παράδοσις is? You still cannot answer this question.

Which is why succession is critica
l.

Clearly it is not.

If the church is the arbiter of what Tradition is and what is means, then you espouse Sola Ecclesia.

A sacramental liturgical church, that believed the eucharist REALLY WAS the "flesh of Jesus" valid only if performed by bishops in succession. In short, the catholic church.

You own church’s historians dispute this. The problem isn’t rouge historians within your ranks that is the problem it is that they know its bunk.

I am aware the Luther quote was a letter (I think) to Antwerp in (I think) 1523
My interest is in getting people to read source. Not cherry pick as all protestants do
Luther blames the devil for the fact others do not agree with him on his personal meaning of scriptura. When sola scriptura was clearly his problem. Everyone else did what he did. Invented their very own version, instead of as Irenaeus said - listen to the church.

I want them to read Ignatius, Irenaeus, Justin Martyr and so on.
Realize that they have been sold garbage by evangelicals and reformers.

I don’t buy this excuse. You were not willing to give the source because you did not know the source.

Yes, Every Christian should read the Early Church fathers. Not every protestant holds the same view of the Eucharist as a typical evangelical.

That said, the tradition Irenaeus speaks of below also puts Jesus at almost 50 years of age. He also traces this tradition back to the apostle John. However, we both know that is incorrect. How do we know this? I do not believe in what I think is your concept of Sola scriptura. Meaning me and my bible alone. What I mean by sola scriptura, and what Lutherans and Reformed among others mean is the scriptures are the only infallible and inerrant source of faith and doctrine. It’s the infallible part that is the operative word. Tradition is tested by the scriptures, never to be, along with anything else superior to the scriptures.

Here is the relevant section from Irenaeus: Against Heresies book II Ch XXII

4. Being thirty years old when He came to be baptized, and then possessing the full age of a Master, He came to Jerusalem, so that He might be properly acknowledged6 by all as a Master. For He did not seem one thing while He was another, as those affirm who describe Him as being man only in appearance; but what He was, that He also appeared to be. Being a Master, therefore, He also possessed the age of a Master, not despising or evading any condition of humanity, nor setting aside in Himself that law which He had appointed for the human race, but sanctifying every age, by that period corresponding to it which belonged to Himself. For He came to save all through means of Himself—all, I say, who through Him are born again to God8—infants, and children, and boys, and youths, and old men. He therefore passed through every age, becoming an infant for infants, thus sanctifying infants; a child for children, thus sanctifying those who are of this age, being at the same time made to them an example of piety, righteousness, and submission; a youth for youths, becoming an example to youths, and thus sanctifying them for the Lord. So likewise He was an old man for old men, that He might be a perfect Master for all, not merely as respects the setting forth of the truth, but also as regards age, sanctifying at the same time the aged also, and becoming an example to them likewise. Then, at last, He came on to death itself, that He might be “the first-born from the dead, that in all things He might have the pre-eminence,”10 the Prince of life, existing before all, and going before all.12
5. They, however, that they may establish their false opinion regarding that which is written, “to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord,” maintain that He preached for one year only, and then suffered in the twelfth month. [In speaking thus], they are forgetful to their own disadvantage, destroying His whole work, and robbing Him of that age which is both more necessary and more honourable than any other; that more advanced age, I mean, during which also as a teacher He excelled all others. For how could He have had disciples, if He did not teach? And how could He have taught, unless He had reached the age of a Master? For when He came to be baptized, He had not yet completed His thirtieth year, but was beginning to be about thirty years of age (for thus Luke, who has mentioned His years, has expressed it: “Now Jesus was, as it were, beginning to be thirty years old,” when He came to receive baptism); and, [according to these men,] He preached only one year reckoning from His baptism. On completing His thirtieth year He suffered, being in fact still a young man, and who had by no means attained to advanced age. Now, that the first p 392 stage of early life embraces thirty years, and that this extends onwards to the fortieth year, every one will admit; but from the fortieth and fiftieth year a man begins to decline towards old age, which our Lord possessed while He still fulfilled the office of a Teacher, even as the Gospel and all the elders testify; those who were conversant in Asia with John, the disciple of the Lord, [affirming] that John conveyed to them that information.2 And he remained among them up to the times of Trajan. Some of them, moreover, saw not only John, but the other apostles also, and heard the very same account from them, and bear testimony as to the [validity of] the statement. Whom then should we rather believe? Whether such men as these, or Ptolemæus, who never saw the apostles, and who never even in his dreams attained to the slightest trace of an apostle?
6. But, besides this, those very Jews who then disputed with the Lord Jesus Christ have most clearly indicated the same thing. For when the Lord said to them, “Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day; and he saw it, and was glad,” they answered Him, “Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham?” Now, such language is fittingly applied to one who has already passed the age of forty, without having as yet reached his fiftieth year, yet is not far from this latter period. But to one who is only thirty years old it would unquestionably be said, “Thou art not yet forty years old.” For those who wished to convict Him of falsehood would certainly not extend the number of His years far beyond the age which they saw He had attained; but they mentioned a period near His real age, whether they had truly ascertained this out of the entry in the public register, or simply made a conjecture from what they observed that He was above forty years old, and that He certainly was not one of only thirty years of age. For it is altogether unreasonable to suppose that they were mistaken by twenty years, when they wished to prove Him younger than the times of Abraham. For what they saw, that they also expressed; and He whom they beheld was not a mere phantasm, but an actual being5 of flesh and blood. He did not then want much of being fifty years old; and, in accordance with that fact, they said to Him, “Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham?” He did not therefore preach only for one year, nor did He suffer in the twelfth month of the year. For the period included between the thirtieth and the fiftieth year can never be regarded as one year, unless indeed, among their Æons, there be so long years assigned to those who sit in their ranks with Bythus in the Pleroma; of which beings Homer the poet, too, has spoken, doubtless being inspired by the Mother of their [system of] error:—
Οἱ δὲ θεοὶ πὰρ Ζηνὶ καθήμενοι ἠγορόωντο
Χρυσέψ ἐν δαπέδψ:
which we may thus render into English:—
“The gods sat round, while Jove presided o’er,
And converse held upon the golden floor.”

Irenaeus of Lyons. (1885). Irenæus against Heresies. In A. Roberts, J. Donaldson, & A. C. Coxe (Eds.), The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus (Vol. 1, pp. 391–392). Buffalo, NY: Christian Literature Company.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems there are people who believe themselves to be Spirit led, yet the LOVE OF GOD for all mankind is nowhere to be found within them.
It's apples and oranges; the Lord Jesus' promise in John 16.13 still applies to those who love Him and trust Him.

Upvote 0

JESUSKiDtommy

GODLY LOVE for others is so important
May 31, 2015
✟10,094.00
Faith
Christian
Scripture is only clear if read correctly with no interpretation that contradicts any other part of scripture.

The scribes and Pharisees also thought they understood, but where called hypocrites and vipers for their lack of understanding.

Knowing the Scriptures: How to Read and Understand the Bible

When a person is as a little child before HIM humble to believe those WORDS OF LIFE that JESUS died for delivering, then all we need do is ask HIM to show us what HE wants us to know about HIS BOOK. Sadly though many people see pieces of fruit within HIS BOOK that they can use to make themselves seem wise in knowing the judgements of ALMIGHTY GOD... HIS WORD is given to us for us to LIVE BY and is not given for us to blindly follow with our intellect alone, you can look around at all the denominations we have and see the result.... The LOVE OF GOD has to be real and with no pride in ourselves for GOD to reveal understanding.

Reactions: straykat
Upvote 0

Arthur B Via

Art
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2016
✟86,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The Doctrine of Sola Scriptura is a complex doctrine which is made of many parts. So in order to defend and prove it we need to establish its basic parts. One important part is the clarity of Scripture.

The Westminster Confession of Faith says of the Bible...

“All things in Scripture are not alike plain in themselves, nor alike clear unto all: yet those things which are necessary to be known, believed, and observed for salvation, are so clearly propounded, and opened in some place of Scripture of other, that not only the learned, but the unlearned, in a due use of the ordinary means, may attain unto a sufficient understanding of them.” (WCF 1.7)

It's a nuanced statement that affirms:
  1. Not every passage of Scripture is equally clear in itself. Some passages are difficult to interpret.
  2. Not every passage of Scripture is equally clear to all people. Adults understand parts of Scripture that children don't. Married people understand parts of Scripture that single people don't. Educated people understand parts of Scripture that uneducated people don't. Poor people understand parts of Scripture that rich people don't. Etc...
  3. Yet the things that are necessary for salvation (things to be known, believed, and obeyed) are so clearly laid out in some place or another that anyone can gain a sufficient understanding of them. This includes clergy and laity, educated and uneducated, men and women, adults and children, etc... Of course the caveat is that people have to put some work into understanding the Bible. This is what is meant by the "due use of ordinary means."
The basic idea is that the Bible is sufficiently clear. The most important things in Scripture - things necessary to salvation - are able to be understood by all based on their own reading and study of Scripture.

This doctrine is called the clarity of Scripture. This doctrine is implied in many places in Scripture. Here are just a few:

Psalm 119:130 - The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple.

Proverbs 1:4 - to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth

Deuteronomy 6:6-7 - 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.

Acts 17:11 - Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

1 John 2:27 - 27 But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.
Other Scriptures could be cited. But in sum we see that the Bible is able to make the simple wise. The unlearned can read it and grow in knowledge of God. Also the common people of Israel were commanded to know God's word and teach it to their children. This implies that God's word is able to be understood. Furthermore, the Jews in Berea were counted noble because they searched the Scriptures for themselves to test the apostles' preaching.

This stands in contradiction to RCC and EO teaching. According to these traditions, the Scriptures are not sufficiently clear. In the Medieval era before the Reformation it was illegal in many places for private Christians to gather together to read the Bible. And the Bible was not translated into the common language because it was supposed that the Bible is not sufficiently clear - it is not able to be understood by the common people.

The RCC and EO teach that the people of God need ordained clergy in order to tell them what the Bible means - otherwise they are without hope. In their view, more authoritative words from God are needed (which come through the church) in order to clarify Scripture. All of this goes back to the root idea that the Bible alone is not sufficiently clear.

Thankfully Rome has shifted somewhat on its position since the Reformation and now encourages the private reading of Scripture. But Rome still stubbornly holds to the position that the Scriptures are not clear. To say that the Scriptures are not clear is, at the end of the day, to say that God's Word is unsuccessful. Successful communication is clear communication. But if God did not communicate clearly through his word, then his word is unsuccessful. Since this cannot be, we must accept that the Scriptures are sufficiently clear.
It's always best to see what God has to tell us through His Word and He tells us in the Psalms, "If you will search it out, (His Word), like you would hidden treasure God will be awesome to you and bring you to the knowledge of God". Read with your heart and the Holy Spirit will guide you my friends...

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The basic idea is that the Bible is sufficiently clear.
Yes, the Bible is clear. In fact, none of the theological elucidations are needed at all. All that is needed is an accurate text and good translation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The RCC and EO teach that the people of God need ordained clergy in order to tell them what the Bible means - otherwise they are without hope. In their view, more authoritative words from God are needed (which come through the church) in order to clarify Scripture.
I think they did this to protect people from the various theologians who were teaching the people things false; in other words, making the clear meaning of the Bible to mean something else. And the people who didn't know any better were fooled by this.

Upvote 0