Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if there is a difference in how God regards sins. Would he think that some sins such as murder are worse than others like sex outside of marriage? Or is it impossible for anyone to know the answer?

It depends.

All sin leads to death so in that sense no all sins are the same.

But some sins have different consequences, for example telling a lie is different than killing someone and in that sense yes, God treats sin differently.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Oh so if someone had sex outside of marriage lots of times it would be much worse in God's eyes than murdering one person in your opinion?
I think I said just the opposite. Both are Mortal Sins. It is not as though one of these is the fifth worst sin and the other is ranked only as number eleven. Either one of these will get you damnation if you die after committing it and do not repent of it before you die.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm wondering if there is a difference in how God regards sins. Would he think that some sins such as murder are worse than others like sex outside of marriage? Or is it impossible for anyone to know the answer?

I don't see any hierarchy or rating system of sins in anything Jesus or the apostles taught. In fact, Jesus clarified just how high God's standard is when He taught that even hatred is murder and lust adultery.

As the Bible makes clear, God's standard is perfection. This is why we need Jesus our Saviour. He's the only one who ever led a sinless life.

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF. :) As an aside, you'll meet a wide cross-section of people here with quite a range of opinions on things. You'll find that Christians are not a monolithic group; but there are certain core things that almost all of us hold to. There is just more time devoted to discussing the differences than the common things. You'll also meet many people with stories to tell of their spiritual journey. I personally enjoy reading about people's lives, struggles, and victories.

My answer to the "worst" sin is going to be a bit complicated. Sorry.

One thing to note is that the general Christian concept of sin is also related to the idea of "falling short of the mark" and not just breaking a set list of rules and laws. Many people lose sight of this because it's often easier to recite a list of rules to get excited about than to explain principles. It is the idea that there is a physically, emotionally, and spiritually healthy life for us to be living and sin is missing out on that.

One Bible passage many Christians look to as being definitive of the Christian life is "the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control". The general idea is we are changed into people for whom that is true. It is not so much about avoiding bad things, but becoming people for whom loving God and people is the natural outflow of our lives. It is the idea that patience is about becoming a person who is truly patient inside, not merely taking anger management classes to try to control it. I prefer to focus my attention on the goal and destination, not the departure point.

The central message of Christianity is two fold. I'm going to try to avoid common theological jargon and capture the gist of it. The first side of it is that God forgives our sins through Jesus Christ. The general idea is that people ourselves are a large source of human suffering and pain and evil in the world. None of us is guiltless with respect to that. Some of us are worse than others. But we all need to own up to our contribution to it. The issue is that God is going to eliminate all of the evil in the world, but doesn't want to chuck us out on the garbage heap along with it. The main point of forgiveness is that He is no longer going to hold our contribution to the evils of the world against us. Now that is good, but it doesn't deal with the issue that we are still contributing to it. The second part of the message is that He will work inside of us to change us. It is not about following rules, but about being changed into a new person that naturally follows the rules. It is about being changed into a person that no longer makes the world a worse place but a better one. It is about becoming a person for whom love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control are a natural description of who we are inside.

In my opinion, the only unforgivable sin is simply explicitly rejecting everything to do with God until your last dying breath. To me, it's saying that "I am not contributing to evil in the world, I need nothing from You. I'm fine exactly the way I am. Go away!" Other sins contain some degree of temporal consequence of various types . For example, if I murder someone, I will probably spend the rest of my life in prison. If I become addicted to heroin, my life will be shortened and I will struggle with severe physical and emotional issues. However, it is only the permanent and total rejection of any spiritual responsibility and remedy that is unforgivable. So, that's what I would consider the worst sin.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think there is a difference in how God regards sin. I feel he would see the sin of murder to be worse than sex outside of marriage.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To get as close as you can to what sins is worse, I think I would go to the Old Testament and see what the penalty is for those sins that are mentioned. The tougher the penalty the worse the sin...makes sense to me anyway.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oh so if someone had sex outside of marriage lots of times it would be much worse in God's eyes than murdering one person in your opinion?
Hi Anna,
The question cannot be reduced to a mere arithmetic formula. Clearly, judging by consequences, some sins are worse than others. Murdering is worse than stealing a candy bar. But it gets complicated.

For instance, let's say a terrorist leaves a bomb somewhere that kills 100 people. Another takes a knife and personally kills 10 people over a span of a year. Though the first terrorist killed more, he may have been detached from his crime, while the second intimately knew the horror of what he was doing, and persisted in it over a period of time.

That brings us to the issue of the state of the heart. Here's a verse from Jeremiah 17:

I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.​

There are many such statements in the Bible, to the effect that God sees the heart and weighs the motives. What matters most is the condition of the heart, not man's performance. God see not only what we do, but also why we do it.

Man is born infected with sin. He commits sins because he is a sinner by nature. But God in His desire to reconcile us back to Himself has made a resolution of our sin problem available to us. That solution is the atonement of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Sin is sin. There is forgiveness for all sins, or so I was always taught. I don't consider myself as much of a Christian anymore, but I love the concepts of grace and mercy, which are above human (imo) and so rare to find IRL.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What is love Anna ? How do we perfect it? Even a murderer of children helped author the bible. A common misnomer is good comes from self.

You are caught in duality of self. We all are there at times in our lives and that is O.K. :oldthumbsup: If we put weight to sin how do we forgive? Atheist is your claim in the journey so far and this is probably due to rules of Churches vs judgment of self.

The perfecting can be summed up in this... 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 . Yet, one must believe a higher power loves you like that firstly. In hopes a word of life Anna :oldthumbsup:

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is one of the worst sins that a person can commit, this is not forgiven.

I've never heard of "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit".
What is it?
How does it do harm?
OB

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't consider myself as much of a Christian anymore, but I love the concepts of grace and mercy, which are above human (imo) and so rare to find IRL.

Agree. Truly rare among humans, and probably one reason it is pushed so by the Bible/God.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes in mans eyes some sins are worse than others.....
In all the governments of the world some sins are worse
Than others......
And yes in the Bible feom genesis....revelations sins are ranked as worse than tothers ....
And commandements or good deeds are ranked as more imortant than others.....
Jesus ranked sins and commandments...constantly...
It wqs one of His most asked question.....
What is the greatest commandment??.......

But God can forgive all sins if you givr your life and heart to His son Jesus Christ......!!!!

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Murder is worse than a person having sex outside of marriage. And raping a child is worse than stealing a piece of candy from a store. The punishment for the former should be much greater than the punishment for the latter. It's just basic common sense.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Murder is worse than a person having sex outside of marriage. And raping a child is worse than stealing a piece of candy from a store. The punishment for the former should be much greater than the punishment for the latter. It's just basic common sense.

If having sex outside of marriage, was as bad as murder, they better start building a lot more prisons.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes I'm aware blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is the worst sin. Other than that though would you say other sins are all equally bad?
John 19:11
Jesus answered, “You would have no authority over Me, unless it had been given you from above; for this reason he who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.”

So I would say no. In his first letter, John says this:

1 John 5:16
If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

StevenBelievin

Trust In God
Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
✟144,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

John 19:11 Jesus answered, “You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.”

Obviously some sins are greater than others. Sexual sins are worse than others as they are sins against ones own body which is the temple of the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)

• Prayers
Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi:

The full answer is yes. Some sins are less than others. Oddly, the two you picked as examples, however, are both mortal sins covered in the 10 commandments and therefore are of grave matter, and based on the intent and knowledge of sinner actually destroys the relationship with God if not repented of and turned away from. There are also venial sins. These would be sins which are harmful to the relationship with God, and have the danger of setting one on the course of eventual mortal sin. The venial sins are especially dangerous, because they tend to be taken lightly by the sinner, and they can find themselves rationalizing them, and diluting the conscience of the concept of sin, so that when mortal sin occurs, there is a pattern of self rationalization already established which makes it easier to start ignoring mortal sin.

• Prayers
Upvote 0