Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if there is a difference in how God regards sins. Would he think that some sins such as murder are worse than others like sex outside of marriage? Or is it impossible for anyone to know the answer?

Given the fact that God rarely, if ever, talks to human's I would have to go with 'it is impossible for anyone to know'.

Lots of people, however, love to express their own opinions about what they WANT God to say. The best guide I have seen so far comes from Jesus who says that there are only two important Commandments. And they both appear to be all about people keeping their behavior on the loving side of the middle.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if there is a difference in how God regards sins. Would he think that some sins such as murder are worse than others like sex outside of marriage? Or is it impossible for anyone to know the answer?

Yes. Some sins are worse than others in God's eyes. So that sinners would receive different degree of punishment.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. I can see how it is so difficult to understand the bible and there are so many possible interpretations.

Is that a good feature of the Bible? Should something have different meaning to different people?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Oh so if someone had sex outside of marriage lots of times it would be much worse in God's eyes than murdering one person in your opinion?

Not sure. It is something we do not need to worry about. We know both of them are sins. That is enough.

There are two major fields: White and Non-white. And there are many subfields in the non-white: you may think it is 1000's shades of gray. Gray#200 and Gray#500 do not really make a lot of significant differences. So, it is meaningless to compare that.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes I can understand that obviously God would not like sins but I'm wondering if there is a difference in how he would view them?

It does not really matter. God views sin_1 is worse than sin_2. But it does not make real difference to sinner_1 and sinner_2. Because both of them will never have any touch (relationship) with God. Why would one care about someone who will never exist to him?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
From my experience, the perceived sins many Christians on this site seem narrowly focused on are; abortion and homosexuality.

I don't think so. Those two are debatable issues. If debatable, then the sinful nature is not that obvious. We debate that because we do not have any better things to do.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Anna-

Jul 23, 2017
London
✟17,332.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Is that a good feature of the Bible? Should something have different meaning to different people?

I would prefer it was much easier to understand as I have great difficulty understanding it and comprehending all of the potential interpretations.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I would prefer it was much easier to understand as I have great difficulty understanding it and comprehending all of the potential interpretations.

It is not a textbook which could be understood in one or two semesters. It is a Book for the whole life. So, be patient on It and do not give up. This kind of Book is hard to come by.

You listen to what other people said about the content of Bible. Accept it if you agree. Forget it if you do not agree. That is a good way to do it.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is not a textbook which could be understood in one or two semesters. It is a Book for the whole life. So, be patient on It and do not give up. This kind of Book is hard to come by.

You listen to what other people said about the content of Bible. Accept it if you agree. Forget it if you do not agree. That is a good way to do it.

Your last sentence is what most people do and is why you have so many different denominations of Christianity.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eider

Jun 25, 2017
canterbury
✟16,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Hi.....
No....... In the Laws of Moses adultery was considered to be more serious than murder, although both actions were punishable by death.
Numbers 35: 15-21 covers murder, and Numbers 35:21 --> explains manslaughter.
Sex outside of marriage was punished by death Deut 22:22 and so was promiscuity Deut 23:18.
But Adultery was many more times dangerous for the Israelites than murder. One promiscuous person could, in time, collect many deseases, and if that person then layed with other persons, dreadful deseases could be spread through the nation. Therefore each person was to have a marriage partner and to stick with that partner!
Sin leads to Sickness and Death. If the Israelites were to be strong, healthy and successful, every single law to protect from sickness was a very serious law.

Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom

What works for you? Mind of judgment or mind of love? Because of this verse
Romans 3:10 (Pretty strait forward that) a person in judgment can snap their minds.

The bible is this... John 5:39. Old testament bears witness of Jesus under a different name... Let there be light; Genesis 1:3. Thus verses such as the Word/Light became flesh John 1:14.

A rating of sin is a mind "trained" to do so in judgment. This stems from written laws of mankind. These minds compete in righteousness of self vs another. It usually looks like this... "At least I don't cheat, steal, lie etc like she/he does".

A mind of love trained to love knows she/he is not righteous and does not judge another. The bible is what you want it to be to your heart... A book of judgment or a book of love... Choose :oldthumbsup: . Then maybe this verse can apply ; John 5:40

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Murder is worse than a person having sex outside of marriage. And raping a child is worse than stealing a piece of candy from a store. The punishment for the former should be much greater than the punishment for the latter. It's just basic common sense.
Are you talking about earthly/human punishments? If so, of course. But do you think that God doesn't forgive one as ably as another? If you doubt that, then you don't understand the message of God.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Nothing. People will typically interpret scripture to suit their personal psychological needs. No way around this, it is human nature.
That is what has made me draw away. If everyone has a different interpretation - which has been my finding from many years in churches and also listening to Christians outside of church - then who knows what is right and wrong? So it's better to establish a right/wrong based upon loving others and not harming others, which are basic tenets of ALL religions, and also of human society outside of religion (although of course not all follow those tenets, they just pay lip service). The ridiculous arguments that otherwise take place are just that ... ridiculous. The nitpicking about Greek and Aramaic and "you can't be a good wife if you don't submit." Oh my gosh. Eye roll. Such a waste of time. I think I read once that the word "love" is the one most used in the Bible, and what is the greatest commandment? Matthew 22:38, which includes "love your neighbor as yourself." Love God and love your neighbor. Why can't Christians do that? Oh, but neighbor is gay/black/atheist/Republican/Liberal ... can't love that person. It's not that long since one poster here had a thread about how much he hates Liberals. So, why should anyone want to be at a church amongst people who literally hate them? Who are singing about "they will know we are Christians by our love" while feeling hatred of anyone who is different to them?

This was a ramble/rant I know and not really addressed to you. Just came from this general thread/tenor of discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Nothing. People will typically interpret scripture to suit their personal psychological needs. No way around this, it is human nature.

That is the business between the person and his God. It could only be a good thing. He has some Bible verses to interpret. If he care to share his interpretation, then there is a Bible study.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Are you talking about earthly/human punishments? If so, of course. But do you think that God doesn't forgive one as ably as another? If you doubt that, then you don't understand the message of God.
I believe that God will forgive both, but the punishment for one is greater than another. Catholics believe in purgatory.

And spare me your "you do not understand the message of God" judgment. Your opinion concerning what I understand or do not understand is irrelevant to the discussion.

Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When folks discount the philosophical/theological idea of purgation, there are several points in scripture which come to mind which seem to affirm the concept. One of the most clear was taught by St. Paul in 1 Corinthians @ 3:10 and following:

1 Cor 3:10 With what grace God has bestowed on me, I have laid a foundation as a careful architect should; it is left for someone else to build upon it. Only, whoever builds on it must be careful how he builds. 11 The foundation which has been laid is the only one which anybody can lay; I mean Jesus Christ. 12 But on this foundation different men will build in gold, silver, precious stones, wood, grass, or straw, 13 and each man’s workmanship will be plainly seen. It is the day of the Lord that will disclose it, since that day is to reveal itself in fire, and fire will test the quality of each man’s workmanship. 14 He will receive a reward, if the building he has added on stands firm; 15 if it is burnt up, he will be the loser; and yet he himself will be saved, though only as men are saved by passing through fire.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I believe that God will forgive both, but the punishment for one is greater than another. Catholics believe in purgatory.
If there is forgiveness then where does punishment come into it? My understanding of purgatory is that it is a waiting period, and is not for punishment.

Reactions: stevenfrancis
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
If there is forgiveness then where does punishment come into it? My understanding of purgatory is that it is a waiting period, and is not for punishment.
You are saved from eternal punishment. All punishment, not so much. One example of this is dying. Death is the punishment that God gave to mankind for the sin of Adam. You still die, even though you are saved.

The doctrine is explained more fully here:
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Purgatory

Upvote 0