Are Skinny Jeans / Leggings / Tight Fitting Pants Modest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
All those skinny jeans, yoga pants, leggings and whatnot are immodest. They are vain or try to be and I don't like them. People are free to wear whatever they wish I suppose, but they are free to be judged for it as well.
Are naked animals immodest? If god wanted people to wear clothes, why didn't he make them already with clothes on?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,459.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My question is, what do you think about Christians wearing skinny jeans?
There are definitely naughtier things that have been regularly worn in public by the opposite sex.

The reason I’m hesitant to wear them is because I don’t want to make guys lust when they look at me, but am I just being overcautious and will it not make any difference either way? Will guys look at my butt (as awkward as that sounds, lol) no matter what I wear anyway?
If a guy likes you, he will lust after you, and you cannot stop it. He'll find a way to do so if you're in loose sweatpants and flannel. It's not your fault.

Biblical modesty is dressing appropriately to the occasion. It's never a passive-aggressive beauty competition, declared or undeclared (1 Tim 2:9-10). Showing as much of yourself as you can get away with is immodest, but so is covering up a bit more yet going crazy with hair or jewelry or acting in a way such as to actively attract attention to yourself. Taking lots of selfies would be immodest (I'm talking about going overboard with it). Some dance moves are immodest (dancing itself is fine though).

Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Shouldn't the responsibility for lust be on the one lusting? If not, you can't stop at western modesty. Some guys will likely lust unless you are fully covered, to the extent that you don't look like a human female. Are you going to wear a burqa? That would seem to be the logical conclusion.

I'd say that responsibility for thoughts is with those whose thoughts they are. If not, your are enslaving yourself to the 'sin' of others, and having your life dictated by their issues.

Humans are naturally totally naked, and I don't think that's in itself immoral. Wear what your are comfortable with. :)

This!

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Modesty has always been more about attitude than apparel. :)

The flappers in the 1920s who astonished and outraged their prudish contemporaries with their audacious style of dress actually revealed far less of their skin and showed off less of their figure than a modern outfit for a similar occasion. It was their exuberant sassiness, exalted confidence, and daring embrace of their youth and desire to defy conventions that really was more remarkable than what they were wearing. The dress emphasized and reenforced the attitude; it didn't create it. Skinny jeans wouldn't have the same statement as a flapper dress even though it more predominantly showcases your figure because the times, perceptions, and context have changed. As you wrote in your post, skinny jeans are hugely popular at your school. You're not raising brows or creating a scene by wearing that jeans style to your school when you'll be blending in rather than standing out in them. If you had an attitude that accompanied them, being overtly flirtatious and intending to be provocative and generate lust, then it might be immodest, but the jeans on their own are fine. Wear what makes you feel comfortable physically and socially.

I think it's awesome that you can even wear jeans to school. I'm looking forward to that at college. With the exception of two years at an elementary school that didn't require a uniform, I've been wearing one my entire academic career thus far. It's actually was what helped me to realize that lust is not something we're responsible for invoking by our outfits alone. I get hit on the most when I'm in uniform (and I rarely wear makeup or do anything special) and when I'm working out and am smelling and looking funky. If guys look at you, they're doing so with their own eyes they control. The intentions behind their reactions are as important as the intent behind our actions. I don't think a guy reflexively checking a girl out is inherently wrong so long so long as he doesn't do it in a way that is deliberately seeking to objectify her or make her feel uncomfortable. If they feel lust, they can mitigate those feelings. If you deliberately set out to cause lust and temptation, especially in inappropriate ways, that's one thing, but if it's something generated simply by dressing normally, that's not your responsibility to manage. There are women in burkhas who inspire lust. There's a review on Yelp for a coffee place near my school written by a man warning other men to stay away from there in the mornings and afternoons because it's "jailbait central" when we are all there in our "schoolgirl fantasy uniform." The review was circulated around kind of in amusement. We're not offended, outraged, or feeling exploited, and we're definitely not feeling guilty or making modifications. It's not our responsibility. I don't think he was a lecherous predator; he was just honest about his reaction. 50 years ago when the uniforms were dowdy and loose, completely unflattering to the figure, I'm sure there were guys and men who took special notice of the girls, too.

Another thing. Confidence is more alluring than self-consciousness, so if more guys are drawn to you in skinny jeans that you feel good in, it could have more to do with your vibe than your booty. All in all, I think Jesus would want you to focus on more important things than skinny jeans.

This, too.

Wear what's appropriate for where you're going & what you feel good in. I agree w you and @Sketcher

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
All those skinny jeans, yoga pants, leggings and whatnot are immodest. They are vain or try to be and I don't like them. People are free to wear whatever they wish I suppose, but they are free to be judged for it as well.
By all means don't wear them if you don't like them, but I don't think anyone us going to be judged for wearing skinny jeans.

Upvote 0

Laury

Jan 3, 2016
Bavaria
✟16,550.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Please, just wear what you're comfortable in. If you think those clothes are ugly, then don't wear them. If you don't want to show off skin at the same time, wear pretty clothing that covers it.

For a young girl like you, there will always be guys who have a crush on you or will look at you with lust, you won't be able to avoid this at all. But attraction isn't a bad thing, that's a big reason why we chose our partners after all.
Not to mention that if there are so many girls wearing this in your school, it's not like they will suddenly all focus on you just because you wear nice fitting jeans, they see this all the time. The excitement is not really high if you are exposed to it a lot.

Also: Lust comes from both sides, so if a guy lusts after you just because of a pair of jeans you are wearing without intending to have such an effect or showing off a lot of skin or act in an erotic way, maybe he needs to control himself a bit more. That doesn't really seem to be your fault after all.

PS @threat: I feel the need to point out that guys walking around bear chested and with tight pants that show their chunk in a very detailed way, females also get aroused by that. Doesn't seem to cause any uproar there...

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys; so this is kind of an opinion question I guess. I’m a 16 year old girl (a sophomore in high school) and it seems like just about every girl wears skinny jeans and jeggings and leggings (basically, form fitting jeans) practically every day. Rarely do I see a girl wear boot leg or other less form fitting jeans (and those that do still wear tight jeans sometimes). I wear types of jeans that aren’t as form fitting, more loose jeans because I feel like that’s more modest and like it is what Jesus would want me to do. But I feel like boot cut jeans (and other non-form fitting types) are unflattering and I really dislike the way I look in them. My question is, what do you think about Christians wearing skinny jeans? The reason I’m hesitant to wear them is because I don’t want to make guys lust when they look at me, but am I just being overcautious and will it not make any difference either way? Will guys look at my butt (as awkward as that sounds, lol) no matter what I wear anyway?
I pray about this a lot and I feel like I am at a crossroads. Thinking that Jesus wants me to be as modest as possible but also knowing that he wants me to be comfortable with my body (and I feel kind of unattractive and lack confidence in my appearance when I wear boot cut and other non-form fitting jeans.) What is your opinion on this- girls, do you wear them, and do you think Jesus approves? And guys, do you have thoughts as well; do you have more trouble keeping pure thoughts around woman wearing skinny jeans? Thanks for sharing your thoughts, guys!

I'm a guy. I have always found the tight fitting clothing to be unattractive. I'm not even sure why, but women in tights has always pushed me away.
In fact, the more artificial or "sexy" things a girl does, the more I think she's not confident with what's in her head. To me, its like she's declaring "I'm not very intelligent but look how pretty or sexy I am"..

My wife doesn't wear any makeup or jewelry.. She's one of the most intelligent women I have ever met and even though she's around 40, she still gets asked for her identification when she buys alcohol.. she looks 20 to 25.

One other thing.. from a scientific point of view.. I know the stretchy leggins don't fit this, but tight fitting jeans that don't have any "give" are actually medically bad for you body.. something to do with circulation.

Reactions: Locutus
Upvote 0

WretchedGoat

Feb 24, 2016
USA
✟1,386.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
By all means don't wear them if you don't like them, but I don't think anyone us going to be judged for wearing skinny jeans.

Really? So if I think that kind of dress looks horrible and attention-seeking, how am I not judging? If I make the decision to NOT talk to an otherwise attractive woman based solely on the fact that her backside is on display for the whole world to see, how am I not judging?

You know what I meant in what I wrote. Don't take my words out of context. I don't veil what I say. I say exactly what I mean to say. If you read it in a different context, that's your problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My question is, what do you think about Christians wearing skinny jeans? The reason I’m hesitant to wear them is because I don’t want to make guys lust when they look at me, but am I just being overcautious and will it not make any difference either way?

Will guys look at my butt (as awkward as that sounds, lol) no matter what I wear anyway?
Yes, they will.

How's that for a direct answer? ;)

However, it won't be nearly as much of an actual invitation (to lust) as are those flannel leggings things that are equally as popular as skinny jeans and are about as close to having painted your body with a roller before going out to the mall as I think it's possible to get. As for skinny jeans, I personally don't find them to be very flattering anyhow.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Really? So if I think that kind of dress looks horrible and attention-seeking, how am I not judging? If I make the decision to NOT talk to an otherwise attractive woman based solely on the fact that her backside is on display for the whole world to see, how am I not judging?

You know what I meant in what I wrote. Don't take my words out of context. I don't veil what I say. I say exactly what I mean to say. If you read it in a different context, that's your problem.
Where did I take your words out of context? The difference between you and I is that I don't judge others for what they wear or, for that matter, for what they don't wear. I can't imagine not talking to someone solely because they were wearing tight pants. I don't know their social or economic background. Who am I to judge?

Upvote 0

WretchedGoat

Feb 24, 2016
USA
✟1,386.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Where did I take your words out of context? The difference between you and I is that I don't judge others for what they wear or, for that matter, for what they don't wear. I can't imagine not talking to someone solely because they were wearing tight pants. I don't know their social or economic background. Who am I to judge?

No pal, there are a LOT more differences between you and I. Your opinion is duly noted and disregarded. Have a nice afternoon.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I'm a guy. I have always found the tight fitting clothing to be unattractive. I'm not even sure why, but women in tights has always pushed me away.
In fact, the more artificial or "sexy" things a girl does, the more I think she's not confident with what's in her head. To me, its like she's declaring "I'm not very intelligent but look how pretty or sexy I am"..

My wife doesn't wear any makeup or jewelry.. She's one of the most intelligent women I have ever met and even though she's around 40, she still gets asked for her identification when she buys alcohol.. she looks 20 to 25.

One other thing.. from a scientific point of view.. I know the stretchy leggins don't fit this, but tight fitting jeans that don't have any "give" are actually medically bad for you body.. something to do with circulation.

This.

It says far worse things about a female than "I have no style". It tells us she's depending upon body parts and artifice to appeal to other human beings.

As a fellow no-makeup/no jewellery wearer, and more to the point, older than 40 and with grey hair, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that men look primarily at faces and overall form, not makeup and sexual signals. Grey hair doesn't even stop them.

Reactions: Murby
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Laury

Jan 3, 2016
Bavaria
✟16,550.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It says far worse things about a female than "I have no style". It tells us she's depending upon body parts and artifice to appeal to other human beings.

or, OR....
...it tells us that she likes those clothes and/or the way she looks in those.

Can we please stop thinking that people just dress up for others?

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that men look primarily at faces and overall form, not makeup and sexual signals.

I know guys who like big breasts, I know guys who are into muscles, I know guys who are into chubby girls, I know guys who like girls that wear a lot of make-up, I know guys that don't care about looks at all, I know guys that like nicely shaped butts, I know guys that like pretty faces...
I could go on and on.

Different people like different stuff, different people get turned on by different things.

What some people find trashy is for other people really attractive, what for one person seems sloppy can be charming or cute to the other.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No pal, there are a LOT more differences between you and I. Your opinion is duly noted and disregarded. Have a nice afternoon.
Are you always so rude, "Pal?"

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
or, OR....
...it tells us that she likes those clothes and/or the way she looks in those.

Can we please stop thinking that people just dress up for others?

I know guys who like big breasts, I know guys who are into muscles, I know guys who are into chubby girls, I know guys who like girls that wear a lot of make-up, I know guys that don't care about looks at all, I know guys that like nicely shaped butts, I know guys that like pretty faces...
I could go on and on.

Different people like different stuff, different people get turned on by different things.

What some people find trashy is for other people really attractive, what for one person seems sloppy can be charming or cute to the other.

Of course. I was referring only to my position, and my experience. I don't appeal to men who like big boobs and makeup, and I don't frequent places where such men are. Therefore it's my experience that men are more interested in faces and form (as in, physically fit - which is regarded as a mark of self-respect and productivity) than artifice and overt sexual signals. I've actually done some research on this, so while I'll restrict my observations to the personal, I can say that in certain demographics, the tight clothing clad, big-boobed female is not considered attractive.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.