Are Roleplaying Games Sinful?

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You could say the same thing about all video games, all books, all movies, all TV, and even sports.

I do. I don't believe a Christian should indulge in secular movie or TV watching, secular books, video games, and sports.

You said:
People fantasize about being in the Football game they are watching, and looking at the cheerleaders, and it's an escape from reality.

Right, and sports offer no real value to serving Jesus Christ. Sports only seek to satisfy one's vain desires of what the world loves. Fame, fortune, physical strength and cunning, etc. Jesus says we are to pick up our cross and deny ourselves. We are told by John to love not the things of this world.

You said:
Honestly, it would be difficult to imagine anything that can't be used in a negative fashion. In fact, even coming on a forum like this, can become an escape from facing reality. If you are using this forum, to avoid the troubles of your life, and using the excuse "I'm posting on here to lead people to G-d"... then you are doing something evil.

If they post about their favorite guns, and or political news... then.... "yes."
If they seek to lead others to Christ on the forums and or they seek to teach other fellow believers and help inspire them to follow the Lord.... then... "no."

You said:
So, I know a few people that do RPG stuff, and none of them have done what you listed above, at least not to my knowledge. Of course no doubt there are people who have, and that's really sad.

I don't think you understood what I said. If a person plays Dungeons and Dragons, they are sinning because they are playing in a world where magic is accepted and is okay. Yet, God told His people in the Old Testament to kill sorcerers.

We all have to guard our hearts, yes?

Yes, by not partaking in worldly sinful things such as secular movies, secular books, games, etc. The life or road of a Christian is not an easy one; But it is worthwhile because of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the OP should stand up in his church and express these views just before next Christmas's children's nativity play. Maybe he can get the other church members to boycot it. And if not, he could always just shout "shame" at the the kids when they come on.

I don't believe the church as we know it today is a biblical form of fellowship. In the New Covenant, we see believers gathering in each other's homes and we don't see a believer going into debt to attend a Bible school, and then going into even more debt to have a big building whereby they invite both believers and unbelievers (to eventually do altar calls) to worship God together in praising His name.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the answer is going to depend on the person and on the game.

Some are clearly meant to be a fantasy dive into debauchery and lust (if what I hear and see about them is any indication), some can be played purely as exploration, puzzle-solving, and even being a completely good and honorable character helping people.

And the person matters too. How sensitive they are, how likely to get drawn in, and I think often more to the point for particular people, how likely they are to become addicted to the game and spend far too much time playing it. (There can be an aspect of sin there also.)

I think more often than not, they introduce negative kinds of things into the spirit. But I wouldn't make a blanket proclamation for all games and all people. It's our own responsibility to progress in our faith and learn to turn from what us spiritually damaging or unprofitable.

I am referring to role playing games and not all games in general.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I say.......if your eyes offend you, pluck them out......and if your conscience pricks you when eating certain meat......dont eat it.

The problem comes if we judge , positively or negatively, others based off of our own infirmities. It's akin to one, with a history of alcohol abuse, after recovering, telling all that they should never drink.....for they too will start to abuse it. This, obviously, simply isn't truth.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ahhh that kind of "roleplaying" wasn't sure how controversial the thread was going to be.

playing make believe is something children do tho. Jesus said to be like children.

The Bible also says,
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." (1 Corinthians 13:11).

Jesus was saying we had to be converted like a child to enter the Kingdom of God. Meaning, we have to be humble like children can be who are under their parent's authority.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I say.......if your eyes offend you, pluck them out......and if your conscience pricks you when eating certain meat......dont eat it.

The problem comes if we judge , positively or negatively, others based off of our own infirmities. It's akin to one, with a history of alcohol abuse, after recovering, telling all that they should never drink.....for they too will start to abuse it. This, obviously, simply isn't truth.

Saying that murder is wrong is not judging anymore than pointing out other sinful things. Roleplaying games generally have sinful things within them. The most popular sins pushed in these games is sorcery (magic), and violence to resolve things.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know because I don't suppose I know what role playing games are.

I think anything has potential to be either good or bad depending on content.. if you playing a video game with a positive character, and your not taking anything to excess I don't see it as inherently harmful.

We all take breaks in different ways..

I've got half an eye right now on forged in fire, a televised blacksmith contest.. it's not beneficial, but certainly not harmful either to do things that are just passing the time occasionally.

We all need breaks.

Well, I do not have a problem with education shows. Reality shows of competition is something else. What does it benefit in our walk with Christ to focus on watching something about weapons that can hurt people? This is the problem with roleplaying games. Violence is what is used to solve the problem in the game. While God did tell the Israelites to go to war with their enemies, we are not under the Old Covenant anymore. Jesus said to turn the other cheek. Jesus said to love, pray, and do good towards your enemies.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Are Roleplaying Games Sinful?

I believe they are. Let me explain before you stone me.

#1. Sin can happen in the mind and be regarded just as the equivalent of a physical sin. The fantasy of committing adultery with a woman is considered as the very act of adultery according to Jesus. For He says, "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:28). So the desire to lust after a woman in one's heart (even in fantasy type way) is still the same as adultery. For Jesus says in Matthew 15:19-20, "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man." So to have evil thoughts means we can be defiled by such evil thoughts. To hate one's brother is the equivalent of murder (See 1 John 3:15).

#2. So if a person fantasizes about being sorcerer, they are committing sin because the Bible condemns sorcery. Just merely saying it is fantasy does not undo the sin. A person can fantasize about women, but this would be condemned by Jesus in Matthew 5:28-30. Even if they think real sorcery is wrong, the fact that they toy with the idea of the sin of sorcery in some fantasy world does not make it any less sinful.

#3. One of the major reasons to play a role playing game is to escape into a world of fantasy. I know. I used to be something like a Dungeon Master but it was not D&D, but another roleplaying game. The Bible says, "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" (2 Corinthians 10:5). Jesus says pick up your cross, deny yourself and come follow me (See Matthew 16:24-26). So our escape should be in the Bible and in following Jesus and not in a role playing game that satisfies the lusts of the flesh with vain and sinful imaginations.

#4. Can a person play a Bible based roleplaying game and not sin?
I think it would be difficult to do so. The problem I see is that the Dungeon Master in a Bible based roleplaying game would be acting as if they are God in the story. So if your goal was to get somebody saved in the game, the dungeon master would have to step in for God by creating openings and or obstacles for the scenario to take place (Thus taking the position of God). This would not be a problem if they were simply writing a script for a book, movie, or comic book because they are not making such a creation as if it was some kind of game to have fun over for our enjoyment. The battle we fight spiritually should never be treated as some kind of game of enjoyment on our behalf. The purpose of a Christian fantasy book, movie, comic book should be to lead others to Jesus Christ. But if a person is going to play a Bible based role playing game it seems like an escape from doing the real thing. We have to as believes get our hands dirty in reaching lost souls and in helping the poor. This cannot be done in some fantasy world amongst ourselves for pure entertainment with the rolling of some dice. We can spend all our time wishing or fantasizing about reaching the lost, but if we are not actually doing that personally ourselves, we miss the point of what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ.

#5. Fantasy Roleplaying Games are something that is originally of the world. It's purpose is to lead others to escape reality into some fantasy world that can lead to doing sinful things in one's own mind. Such games are generally associated with sorcerers and magic (Which is clearly condemned in the Bible).

So why would any Christian want to associate with something like this?

I've been getting super into D&D lately. It's fun!

Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I disagree. I think that while some games may be okay like say UNO. One should probably only play such games so as to warm up to family members if your goal is to at some point in time try to talk to them about Christ. But if it is a role playing game, or a video game, they are usually filled with sinful things within them. The Bible tells us to avoid evil communications.

Well, the thing about roleplaying games is you (for the most part) direct the story. Although some people use the term RPG for the more linear narrative type of stories as well, but the original term applied to building your own character and making choices. In which case, you can play "good" characters.

This is no more evil than writing stories. Tolkien and CS Lewis were both devout Christians and built entire worlds of imagination, and even had metaphors of Christ in them.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wouldn't all forms of acting be under the umbrella of role-playing? Church plays involve role-playing, Christian films with actors, they're role-playing too. Both involve using imagination and representations.

No. While they are similar, they are not the same thing because the end result or goals are different. In a Christian movie, or play, the goal is to lead others to Christ, or to inspire others to follow the Lord. In a Bible role playing game, the goal is to escape into a fantasy world whereby nobody is being led to Christ, and whereby nobody is really being inspired to follow the Lord. They are just pretending and not actually making any real difference for Christ in the real world.

Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No. While they are similar, they are not the same thing because the end result or goals are different. In a Christian movie, or play, the goal is to lead others to Christ, or to inspire others to follow the Lord. In a Bible role playing game, the goal is to escape into a fantasy world whereby nobody is being led to Christ, and whereby nobody is really being inspired to follow the Lord. They are just pretending and not actually making any real difference for Christ in the real world.

Now you just sound like an extrovert and mistaking that for the only way to live as a Christian. The bulk of an introvert's life is having an internal world first.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've been getting super into D&D lately. It's fun!

What is fun does not mean it is something of God or that is a righteous thing to do. Jesus said that if a person looks upon a woman in lust, they have committed adultery in their heart. So a person can sin in their mind. So there is no such thing as fantasy as being some kind of actual barrier between reality when it comes to sin. If a person fantasizes about something sinful or in a world where sinful things takes place, they are approving of sinful things in their mind. Sorcerers were killed in the OT. So if a person fantasizes about being a sorcerer, they are actually pretending to take on a sinful occupation that God condemns. It would be no different than watching a cartoon inappropriate content movie. Is watching such a thing okay just because it is fantasy and not real? Surely not. The Bible says to avoid evil communication. Why? Well, a person can sin in their own mind by entertaining the idea of sinful things. Also, violence is used in these games to resolves problems. While that was the way of the OT, this is not the way of the NT. Jesus taught that we are to turn the other cheek if we are struck. Jesus taught to love our enemies, and to pray for them and do good towards them (even when they might do bad towards us).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now you just sound like an extrovert and mistaking that for the only way to live as a Christian. The bulk of an introvert's life is having an internal world first.

What you said here really does not really undo what I have stated.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saying that murder is wrong is not judging anymore than pointing out other sinful things. Roleplaying games generally have sinful things within them. The most popular sins pushed in these games is sorcery (magic), and violence to resolve things.
There are some who can drink without getting drunk.... There are others who have to get drunk after taking one drink.....If one is the latter, it would be wise to not drink at all. But his doesnt make drinking wrong or against the law.

Murder is against the law.....so even if one considered it ok....it would still be wrong to do because it violates laws.

If the only law roleplaying games violate is the law in ones mind, they do well to avoid it. However, this does not mean that their thoughts and beliefs are true for others.

Some can play these games and be spiritually unaffected.....others should avoid them until they have taken full control of their own faculties....as oppose to giving control to things that they see, play, drink etc... I aim to be the former.

We each must work out our own soul salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What you said here really does not really undo what I have stated.

Well, you seem to be against "fantasizing" now. That's kind of a broad term. It can also be contemplation, carefully building points of view or models of looking at the world, and generally just taking time to think about what you take from the external world.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What is fun does not mean it is something of God or that is a righteous thing to do. Jesus said that if a person looks upon a woman in lust, they have committed adultery in their heart. So a person can sin in their mind. So there is no such thing as fantasy as being some kind of actual barrier between reality when it comes to sin. If a person fantasizes about something sinful or in a world where sinful things takes place, they are approving of sinful things in their mind. Sorcerers were killed in the OT. So if a person fantasizes about being a sorcerer, they are actually pretending to take on a sinful occupation that God condemns. It would be no different than watching a cartoon inappropriate content movie. Is watching such a thing okay just because it is fantasy and not real? Surely not. The Bible says to avoid evil communication. Why? Well, a person can sin in their own mind by entertaining the idea of sinful things. Also, violence is used in these games to resolves problems. While that was the way of the OT, this is not the way of the NT. Jesus taught that we are to turn the other cheek if we are struck. Jesus taught to love our enemies, and to pray for them and do good towards them (even when they might do bad towards us).

Thanks! I'll try to Christianize my campaigns a bit more. Maybe the heroes could all be Paladins who try to kill all the sorcerers.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are some who can drink without getting drunk.... There are others who have to get drunk after taking one drink.....If one is the latter, it would be wise to not drink at all. But his doesnt make drinking wrong or against the law.

Alcohol is a different issue altogether. I believe that if a person knows that alcohol is a poison like myself, they cannot drink it without their conscience condemning them. But yes, I do believe others who are unaware that alcohol is a poison can drink it in moderation. But this is not the same thing as say playing a role playing game that has obvious sinful things within them.

Murder is against the law.....so even if one considered it ok....it would still be wrong to do because it violates laws.

Right, and you can murder in your mind. The Bible says if you hate your brother, it is the equivalent of murder (1 John 3:15). If a person fantasizes about murder it is still just as wrong even if they had no intention of actually murdering anyone. The act of dwelling on sinful things in a fantasy is just as equally wrong because Jesus said that if you look at a woman in lust, you have committed adultery in your heart.

You said:
If the only law roleplaying games violate is the law in ones mind, they do well to avoid it. However, this does not mean that their thoughts and beliefs are true for others.

Some can play these games and be spiritually unaffected.....others should avoid them until they have taken full control of their own faculties....as oppose to giving control to things that they see, play, drink etc... I aim to be the former.

We each must work out our own soul salvation.

I used to be a Dungeon Master, but for another roleplaying game that was not D&D.
The problem is that a person cannot escape getting caught up in doing sinful things in their mind in this fantasy world. Another problem with role playing games is that it is about escape into a fantasy world to serve one's own lusts of enjoyment alone. Nobody is led to Christ, and or inspired to follow the Lord by playing role playing games. But if we pray over a meal, we can show our love for God to others.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, you seem to be against "fantasizing" now. That's kind of a broad term. It can also be contemplation, carefully building points of view or models of looking at the world, and generally just taking time to think about what you take from the external world.

I am against group fantasizing with the end goal of it not going anywhere. If the goal is to create a Christian movie to lead others to Christ and or to inspire them to follow Christ, then that is different.

Reactions: straykat
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Alcohol is a different issue altogether. I believe that if a person knows that alcohol is a poison like myself, they cannot drink it without their conscience condemning them. But yes, I do believe others who are unaware that alcohol is a poison can drink it in moderation. But this is not the same thing as say playing a role playing game that has obvious sinful things within them.

My buddies and I like to drink whiskey when we play D&D.

• Haha
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0