Are pastors required to agree with all the “Calvary Chapel Distinctives” in Chuck Smith’s book?

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello. I’ve been reading more about Calvary Chapel. There is one nearby that I’m considering joining. One thing I still don’t understand the degree to which a pastor must conform to Chuck Smith’s book “Calvary Chapel Distinctives.”

On virtually every site related to Calvary Chapel and the Calvary Chapel Association there is a statement of faith or beliefs section that are identical and not very detailed, which I like. But I read in multiple places, but nowhere official, that in order to be a Calvary Chapel congregation, you have to accept all of the things in Chuck Smith’s book “Calvary Chapel Distinctives,” in addition to the statement of faith. Does anyone know what’s actually required of pastors and congregations seeking to become or maintain an identity as a Calvary Chapel? Thank you!

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟107,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know alot about CC, but the church government stresses the senior pastor is based upon the "Moses Model." Clearly this brings about an authoritarian culture in the church, leaving the senior pastor unanswerable to anyone.

Ask a CC pastor for an informational interview about being ordained and all the prerequisites of belief. The local congregation my have a internship program which leads to ordination.

Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know alot about CC, but the church government stresses the senior pastor is based upon the "Moses Model." Clearly this brings about an authoritarian culture in the church, leaving the senior pastor unanswerable to anyone.

Ask a CC pastor for an informational interview about being ordained and all the prerequisites of belief. The local congregation my have a internship program which leads to ordination.
Thanks, but I’m not interested in being ordained. I’m trying to find out what is required for Calvary Chapel pastors to teach, because I suspect the standard statement of faith is not the whole story.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟107,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, but I’m not interested in being ordained. I’m trying to find out what is required for Calvary Chapel pastors to teach, because I suspect the standard statement of faith is not the whole story.
An informational interview would solve the problem. Don't ask us. Ask them.

Upvote 0

Christfollower7

Mar 2, 2024
Los Angeles
✟5,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Generally, it should be expected that every senior Calvary Chapel pastor adheres to Calvary Distinctives. Afterall, that is what makes Calvary Chapel unique. If you can't adhere to the basics as outlined by Pastor Chuck Smith, then don't call yourself a Calvary Chapel! You have to look at it the same way as any typical chain restaurant. If you go into a Chick-fil-A anywhere in the USA, that chicken sandwich is going to taste the same, as well as the fries, Sweet Tea, shakes, etc. The same should be said of Calvary Chapel, no matter where you walk into one. You are going to find a pastor that teaches the Word of God, verse by verse. Are there some Calvary Chapels that have deviated from the Calvary way...of course there are. But generally, you are going to have the same style of preaching and standards in most Calvary Chapels.

In regards to the Moses style of approach in Calvary Chapel...yes, that is true. Chuck talks about that extensively in Calvary Distinctives. A good Calvary Chapel pastor will have a good board with proper checks and balances...not just "yes" men, but ones to hold him accountable. And, a senior pastor should have trusted men he confides in, sharing his struggles for accountability purposes. Don't look at it as a dictatorship, but as someone the Lord is using, the same way He used Moses, David, Elijah, etc.

By the way, I have been in one particular Calvary Chapel and the senior pastor was ruling with a strong arm and the servants did not look joyful. The pastor has been there for too long and he needs to step down. Truly sad.

Also, I knew a Calvary Chapel pastor that was put in charge of listening to sermons that were sent to Calvary Costa Mesa in question. If something was found horribly off in the teaching, that pastor would be addressed. And if a change was not implemented, they would kindly ask that Calvary Chapel to rename themselves. And they would be removed from the Calvary Chapel directory on the web site.

Reactions: Bethlehem57
Upvote 0

Bethlehem57

May 7, 2023
Western Piedmont
✟8,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My DH and I attended a Calvary Chapel that was 45 minutes one way. They don’t have membership, so as long as you were tithing, you are one. I found this to be a little troubling, as well as the way that the Senior Pastor openly told us that he hated handshaking and “don’t expect me at the back of the church to greet you.” He was from NY, and before salvation, was involved with a lot of shady stuff, as he admits.

I will say that Jack Hibbs is an amazing Pastor and we listen to him a lot! But you should be “fellowshipping with the Brethren.” So a church that’s Bible teaching, verse by verse is what we’ve found to be Biblical. And the previous CC did that too, it just started drifting.

We had been attending for about 3 years and once we found out that we weren’t allowed to really actively participate in any ministry because of our commute, except for preparing meals for members who were closer to us, we decided to find a closer church that adheres to a Pre-Trib view. There was a Bible study for women, however, they catered more to younger moms and I’m passed that. There was another Bible study closer to us, but we found that the leader more or less just like to hear her own voice on YouTube. She also teaches stuff that’s not biblical so be a Berean when you are under the teaching of anyone, Calvary Chapel or not!

This pastor had an awesome testimony, however, after he recently wrote a book about that, the sermons also kind of centered along those lines. The things I miss are the music and the saints that we met and became close with. When a hymn was played, this was a couple of guitars, drums and maybe a vioLin occasionally, it wasn’t rock star, but I could feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in the music. And those saints that were there felt it too! I have gotta say, before this, I would never feel the need to reach up and put my hand up for the Lord! And the music ministry had the Pastor’s son as the lead. I’m telling you this because he could be off key every song, but it really didn’t matter!

We have since joiNed a closer church that is teaching Pre-Trib, and although they don’t do “prophecy updates” unless the verses by verse teaching would come to that part of Scripture. The music is good, but frequently I don’t feel the same as before, however, that might be my problem, so I’m keeping an open mind. They are also a large church, but plugging into ministry, Bible study and what the call “life groups,” will help.

Upvote 0