United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Most of the people I know in my life around my age (I'm 25) have extremely bad parents who treat them poorly. Even people I don't know personally claim that their parents treat them terribly. As someone who had two parents who both struggled with mental illnesses and personality disorders, I can understand why my own parents treated me badly (and still do to this day) or made huge mistakes that made and still makes my time spent with them difficult.

Of course I realize that some may claim their parents are bad when it is them who is the problem. But a lot of people I know very well are very kind and upright people and yet their parents treated them and still treat them in a way that is abusive or downright neglectful. Sometimes at work or in public, I see parents who yell at their children or ignore them all together and it does make me incredibly sad.

Now I do know a few friends who have excellent parents and it blows me away every time I see them interact with each other because those sorts of interactions are completely foreign to me. I know this is the case with many other people I know who have expressed feeling the same way. I've even seen people talk about having the same reaction online.

God does tell us to be good to our children to not make life incredibly difficult for them while He commands children to honor their parents. Where are the good Christian parents who raise their children in love and who remember to be compassionate and forgiving towards them? :(

I'm starting to wonder if good parents are extremely rare in today's society, even among Christians. I see so many kids, teenagers, and adolescents (even Christian children) suffering from the effects of having bad parents and sometimes it even carries onto the next generation.What do you guys think?

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
God does tell us to be good to our children to not make life incredibly difficult for them while He commands children to honor their parents. Where are the good Christian parents who raise their children in love and who remember to be compassionate and forgiving towards them?

I cannot speak for others but I loved my daughter immensely before she was born. From the moment I laid eyes on her I was dumbstruck by her beauty and loveliness. I knew I would never accomplish anything greater than I achieved at that moment. She is and always will be the best thing I've done.

We have a very close relationship. She was reared in a loving environment where character was emphasized and shaping was a constant. I was very hands-on and had an intentional process of development from her youth. I began young and made adjustments as she matured. We didn't have a Christian home. Love and belief were plentiful. I believed in her. I encouraged her. I inspired her. That was borne from my heart.

I have forsaken much to bring her to this point. It is not a sacrifice in my mind. She's worth it. We've entered a new season and she's being prepared for marriage and parenting. And eagerly stepping into her purpose with my support.

All this and more from a 19-year-old doing it on her own. Failure was not an option nor was quitting. She was my greatest priority. Perhaps that's the difference. Love won.

~Bella

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of the people I know in my life around my age (I'm 25) have extremely bad parents who treat them poorly. Even people I don't know personally claim that their parents treat them terribly. As someone who had two parents who both struggled with mental illnesses and personality disorders, I can understand why my own parents treated me badly (and still do to this day) or made huge mistakes that made and still makes my time spent with them difficult.

Of course I realize that some may claim their parents are bad when it is them who is the problem. But a lot of people I know very well are very kind and upright people and yet their parents treated them and still treat them in a way that is abusive or downright neglectful. Sometimes at work or in public, I see parents who yell at their children or ignore them all together and it does make me incredibly sad.

Now I do know a few friends who have excellent parents and it blows me away every time I see them interact with each other because those sorts of interactions are completely foreign to me. I know this is the case with many other people I know who have expressed feeling the same way. I've even seen people talk about having the same reaction online.

God does tell us to be good to our children to not make life incredibly difficult for them while He commands children to honor their parents. Where are the good Christian parents who raise their children in love and who remember to be compassionate and forgiving towards them? :(

I'm starting to wonder if good parents are extremely rare in today's society, even among Christians. I see so many kids, teenagers, and adolescents (even Christian children) suffering from the effects of having bad parents and sometimes it even carries onto the next generation.What do you guys think?
Being a parent is the best thing that ever happened to me. My little one is my best friend. We share pretty much all the same interests, and we've broken tons of furniture wrestling and fighting. Needless to say, we drive my spouse insane. Especially when we have to go to the ER for stitches. Anyways, I would double or triple the kids count if it were up to me, but of course baby-making is a two player game.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and btw who taught them they have rights over responsibility? That started in the early 90's.
Actually, that started in the 1960s.

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Most of the people I know in my life around my age (I'm 25) have extremely bad parents who treat them poorly.

I'm sorry for the struggles. I wasn't a very good parent, and the guilt is crushing. Problem is, I thought I was doing OK, and it was too late by the time I realized the problems were serious. The oddest part is that both I and my wife had great parents, and that is part of why the problems caught us off guard. It was simply outside our experience.

With that said, I know some great parents. Life will always be a mix of good and bad.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wasn't referring to civil rights
Neither was I. It was where people started demanding personal rights over personal responsibility; giving rise to what was dubbed the “self love seventies.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Neither was I. It was where people started demanding personal rights over personal responsibility; giving rise to what was dubbed the “self love seventies.”

I think the root of all bad parenting is being only a lover of yourself. Because to be a good parent means that you don't just think about yourself but you also think about your child and what is best for them. Bad parents only ever think about themselves which causes them to either ignore their children and their children's needs entirely or to lash out at their children in cruel ways :(

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Could you imagine if Father Knows Best or Leave it to Beaver were made today.. it would be a total reversal of principles.

I'm 25 so I can't understand the reference very well (but I have heard of those sitcoms). Could you be so kind to explain in more detail what you mean by reversal of principles? :)

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When I'm out where people gather, I see more and more fathers taking their kids out, doing things with them, and being fathers.

A lot more than I saw in my generation. And it's absolutely essential to raise a decent person. Daughters need that as much as sons do. I'm encouraged by that, if nothing else.

• Friendly
Reactions: derpytia
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,395.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I see two things these days. Parents being extremely selfish and not being responsible to care for their kids. And parents teaching their kids they are the center of the universe. Too many parents on both sides. Both create children that are messed up with character, attachment and responsibility problems. Broken homes, single parents, children out of wedlock all have contributed to problem parents. Thank the Lord that all of these issues can be fixed if we give our lives to him and set our lives to live according to his word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Responsibility before rights.

Have you noticed when the trend went to all are equal in ability, (while ignoring all are equal as humans) and everyone got a gold star, that false attitude had no effect on sports or politics? Sports carried on separating the best from the average. Politics never had smarts so nothing changed there.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Things are tough all over for parents, I think. I guess I've got it good in many respects since my son hugs me and my wife nearly everyday and tells us he loves us ... and then complains about feeling like he's not up to being an adult because he's had it so easy.

I guess that means my wife and I are doing at least a little something right, despite the obvious lack of patience I sometimes have........:sorry:

Upvote 0