Are fairy tales and mythology a bad influence?

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Any of you here think teaching children fairy tales, folklore, and mythology is bad for them and will lead for trouble later on? Or if they read mythology, folk tales around the world as adults, does it ruin their faith and walk with Christ?

His my opinion: I loved fairy tales as a child, I read Hans Christian Andersen, the Brothers Grim, and Greek mythology. But before I heard of them, I read the Bible, a kid's version of the Biible with all the bad stuff in it that is so shocking. I read a lot of children's books at the library, before I was ready for more mature books. Many of them were fantasy, or a version of one nation's folk story and legend. I read world mythology, and I was shocked by the behavior of the pagan 'gods' I knew Yahweh would never behave like that. But when I found out about the violence o the old testamanet, that was deeply disturbing. When the Israelites reached the Promise Land, they were ordered by God to kill all of the native people in Canaan, that land, the Promise Land. There was other stuff of great violence in the Bible that upset and hurt me deeply. There was violence and injustice in fairy tales too.

I got lost from my Christian faith from certain legends of cultures like the Celtic culture and the legends of many people, Irish and Welsh fairy tales, RUssian fairy tales, German, French, Scandinavian medieval stories, etc.

I realized God is love. God's love brought me back to him after dealing with hypocrites and pharisees, those who hurt and broke my heart while claiming to be Christians, trying to control and boss me around over issues that do not matter. I don't go o church anymore and my parents have guided me into reality and helped me to support leaders who are truthful and reliable.

I don't have any children so I can't say whether it is ok or not to read your children these old stories. Remember the Bible has some shocking scandalous violent stories. I like fairy tales once but now they seem ridiculous to me. I am writing my own stories and am hoping they will be much better. The problem is for a long time as a teen and young adult I still liked fairy tales and believed in them perhaps it was not so healthy.

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Any of you here think teaching children fairy tales, folklore, and mythology is bad for them and will lead for trouble later on? Or if they read mythology, folk tales around the world as adults, does it ruin their faith and walk with Christ?

Speaking for myself,.. no,.. not really.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

His my opinion: I loved fairy tales as a child, I read Hans Christian Andersen, the Brothers Grim, and Greek mythology. But before I heard of them, I read the Bible, a kid's version of the Biible with all the bad stuff in it that is so shocking. I read a lot of children's books at the library, before I was ready for more mature books. Many of them were fantasy, or a version of one nation's folk story and legend. I read world mythology, and I was shocked by the behavior of the pagan 'gods' I knew Yahweh would never behave like that. But when I found out about the violence o the old testamanet, that was deeply disturbing. When the Israelites reached the Promise Land, they were ordered by God to kill all of the native people in Canaan, that land, the Promise Land. There was other stuff of great violence in the Bible that upset and hurt me deeply. There was violence and injustice in fairy tales too.

I got lost from my Christian faith from certain legends of cultures like the Celtic culture and the legends of many people, Irish and Welsh fairy tales, RUssian fairy tales, German, French, Scandinavian medieval stories, etc.

I realized God is love. God's love brought me back to him after dealing with hypocrites and pharisees, those who hurt and broke my heart while claiming to be Christians, trying to control and boss me around over issues that do not matter. I don't go o church anymore and my parents have guided me into reality and helped me to support leaders who are truthful and reliable.

I don't have any children so I can't say whether it is ok or not to read your children these old stories. Remember the Bible has some shocking scandalous violent stories. I like fairy tales once but now they seem ridiculous to me. I am writing my own stories and am hoping they will be much better. The problem is for a long time as a teen and young adult I still liked fairy tales and believed in them perhaps it was not so healthy.

Think the short answer is really it depends. Some stories open up a persons mind to the truthes that normal life obscures from them and others just make that confusion and blindness deeper. CS Lewis and JR Tolkein were good but not sure Harry Potter has done anyone much good

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a mother who not only raised four children and also homeschooled them I can concur, some fantasy is kosher (proper) yet even stuff that is not as kosher might be needed for enculturalization. For example, the Brother Grim sort are part of our culture.

yet young, impressionable children, should not read it, anymore than they should try and understand why Joshua was warned to kill those living in Israel in his day. Those are rather mature topics which need a more mature mind.

Upvote 0

UnrulyBeauty

Lady of complexity
Oct 11, 2020
US
✟15,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

As long as they have the truth as well, and know what's real and what isn't, I see nothing wrong with sharing fairy tales and mythology with our children. Imagination is a beautiful thing!

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for your thoughts. i agree that parents and teachers should wait until readers are more mature before they read mature content. I was immature and did not react well with mature, adult content. It took me a long time to grow up. I learned a lot from reading though. I learned that a lot of cultures and religions are a lot alike. We're all sinners who need Jesus Christ. All religions have hypocrites. We can learn to love, many couples used to have arranged marriages and they learned to like and love each other. I like stories that are fun or romantic, adventurous, or funny. i usually like Christian romance novels, mostly Christian historical romance novels. I also like Christian fantasy, war between good and evil, stuff like that. I like heroines like myself. I hate horror stories, but the problem is alot of people confuse horror with fantasy. I don't like sickening blood and gore. I like love, family, creativity, romance, happiness. adventure, fun. I like writing stories of my own.

Upvote 0