Are dragons evil and should Christians avoid them?

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,814.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am really fascinated in dragons and other forms of mythical creatures. I just find them beautiful. The thing I'm concerned about is that if they are viewed as evil in the bible? And should I avoid wearing a shirt with a dragon print on it or watch movies with them in it? Thanks

My mates Mother in law was classed as a 'Dragon'. He would steer well clear of her!!

Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Depends on what we're talking about.

This old one from Harry Potter is definitely not a snake - but more like a wounded zoo animal being rescued out of kindness. It does not appear sentient - but sad and neglected and tortured. It evokes both respect and sympathy.

I mean most Christians wouldn't have a problem with a snake on their shirt, and the dragon is no different so why not a dragon?

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,900.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My mates Mother in law was classed as a 'Dragon'. He would steer well clear of her!!
Ha ha - when I was in the army and posted a state away from family, I used to write to my grandparents as "Dear George and the Dragon."

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,900.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I mean most Christians wouldn't have a problem with a snake on their shirt, and the dragon is no different so why not a dragon?
Yeah, it all depends on the context. How is the dragon visualised - what is it doing - what is it about - what does it stand for or mean?

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Michael D. O Brien has written a book called A Landscape with Dragons. Which is a christian critique of contemporary fantasy novels and films. One of his main concerns is about a symbolic inversion in some fantasy stories and films.

In regard to fantasy writer Anne MaCaffrey, he says:

"McCaffrey depicts dragons as beautiful, intelligent, good creatures, and thus the primary negative impact of her novels is symbol inversion."

Contrast Dragonslayer (1981) - where the dragon is depicted more or less in traditional western manner.

Dragonslayer (1981 film) - Wikipedia

And Dragonheart (1996) - which is far less traditional in its story line - and symbolism. O'Brien says the dragon in this film is presented as a Christ-figure!!

Dragonheart - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,900.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Michael D. O Brien has written a book called A Landscape with Dragons. Which is a christian critique of contemporary fantasy novels and films. One of his main concerns is about a symbolical inversion in some fantasy stories and films.

In regard to fantasy writer Anne MaCaffrey, he says:

"McCaffrey depicts dragons as beautiful, intelligent, good creatures, and thus the primary negative impact of her novels is symbol inversion."

Compare Dragonslayer (1981) - a traditional fairy tale about Dragons where the Dragon is evil

Dragonslayer (1981 film) - Wikipedia

And Dragonheart (1996) - which is far less traditional in its story line - and symbolism. O'Brien says the dragon in this film is presented as a Christ-figure!!

Dragonheart - Wikipedia
Yet Jesus is the lion of Judah - and yet Satan prowls around like a lion. Both are biblical symbols on very opposite ends of meaning. Context within the story is everything.

I get the feeling many of these more paranoid authors need to listen to Petra's old song "Another witch hunt."

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yet Jesus is the lion of Judah - and yet Satan prowls around like a lion. Both are biblical symbols on very opposite ends of meaning. Context within the story is everything.

I get the feeling many of these more paranoid authors need to listen to Petra's old song "Another witch hunt."

I don't know if O'Brien is paranoid or on a witch hunt.

I take your point about lion symbolism, but is the dragon symbol used in different / opposite contexts in the Bible, the same way as the lion symbol?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
CS Lewis has a dragon in his novel Perelandra. It doesn't have much of a role in the story. When his protagonist Ranson awakes after arriving on the unfallen planet Perelandra, he see's a small dragon curled round a tree looking at him. It's like in the Garden of Hesperides. He wonders for a while whether or not it is a rational animal. It follows him around a bit, but in the end it seems to suddenly forget about him and this convinces Ransom it is just a beast. It doesn't have any other part in the story as far as I can recall.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn’t consider Leviathan to be a dragon. I believe it is a sea monster, representing chaos, which in Hebrew mythology is associated with the sea.

Words that King James translates dragon are often identified with specific animals in modern translations. So it’s not so clear that they referred to what modern fantasy writers would call dragons. E.g Gen 1:21 is often translated today (and in KJV) as whales. At any rate it’s clearly aquatic, which I’m pretty sure St Georges dragon wasn’t, nor today’s fantasy dragons. Anchor Bible translates it sea monsters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,191.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am really fascinated in dragons and other forms of mythical creatures. I just find them beautiful. The thing I'm concerned about is that if they are viewed as evil in the bible? And should I avoid wearing a shirt with a dragon print on it or watch movies with them in it? Thanks
Come to Hong Kong and enjoy them.
They're cool and do nobody the least harm!
Dragon boats!

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Dragons are not any more evil than other creatures. But they are powerful. This is probably why Satan chose the dragon as his symbol. Lots of people have used dragons on coats of arms, flags, and such because they are powerful animals.

The dragon is Revelation is a red dragon. Ring a bell? Is any nation today a red dragon?

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Dragons are not any more evil than other creatures. But they are powerful. This is probably why Satan chose the dragon as his symbol. Lots of people have used dragons on coats of arms, flags, and such because they are powerful animals.

The dragon is Revelation is a red dragon. Ring a bell? Is any nation today a red dragon?

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,191.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Hmm. Different type dragons!

Reactions: eclipsenow
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,900.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Here's the thing. Satan didn't choose the image of a dragon for himself. John did, as a metaphor to describe him. You're acting as if the metaphor John used then is somehow prescriptive for us on a cultural basis now. The Christian life has also been described as having the attributes of armour - but does that mean anything about wearing actual armour now?

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,191.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

I hope you are not saying something about China

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Chromatic dragons are typically evil but metallic dragons are almost always benevolent.

Upvote 0

Thera

Sep 21, 2019
Montreal
✟52,709.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
No not necessary evil, a necessary story telling trope that enriches all our lives. And not only this but if you are history geek, like anthropology etc. all kinds of cool stuff with dragons and serpents going back before there was the invention of writing. The Dragon is "Older than Dirt" as far as world culture goes.

Older Than Dirt - TV Tropes

Rather than get rid of the dragon, I say that those that want to get rid of it might not have a soul. :)
Lol. No. We have to keep the memory of it, so we can remember having gotten rid of it. The importance of the dragon is that it was slain by Saint George, and other dragons by similar heroes!

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Leviathan in the Bible is described as God's creation, and is described as having scales and breathing fire. So not only are dragons okay for a Christian to like, they weren't as mythical as we've been told. Double happy news for you!
:cheer:

Upvote 0