Are Christians more gullible?

Buzz Dixon

Aug 25, 2004
Los Angeles
✟1,184.00
Faith
Christian
The Bellman said:
Pseudoscientific is fine. I don't know what "theapeutic touch" is, but there is nobody who has ESP.
Only a person with ESP could say that for sure! ^_^

The Bellman said:
Critical thinking IS an inherent asset, and gullibility IS an inherent liability. I don't see how saying so is any more arrogant than saying, for example, that delusional thinking is an inherent liablity.
Alas, for many, they are delusional in that they think they are thinking critically.

Upvote 0

Drifster

Sep 26, 2004
✟270.00
Faith
Baptist
The Bellman said:
My question is, are Christians in general more gullible about things related to pseudo-science and the (supposedly) supernatural? If so, why? Is it that their Christianity makes them gullible, or are they christians because they're gullible?
I'm quite certain now that any answer you get wouldn't be acceptable or no doubt have fault in it's logic, which makes me question your original motives for asking such a question. So again I'll answer your question with a question.

"Is it the truth you seek, or the vanity of knowledge??":scratch:

If it is the truth you seek, then the bible would answer your question with
Proverbs 17:24
"Sensible people keep their eyes glued on wisdom, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth."

Upvote 0
T

The Bellman

Drifster said:
I'm quite certain now that any answer you get wouldn't be acceptable or no doubt have fault in it's logic,
Then you are wrong.

Drifster said:
which makes me question your original motives for asking such a question.
Sorry, I'm not interested in people questioning my motives for asking a question. I've had too many people assign false motives too me.

Drifster said:
So again I'll answer your question with a question.

"Is it the truth you seek, or the vanity of knowledge??":scratch:
It is truth I seek. I have no idea what "the vanity of knowledge" even means.

Drifster said:
If it is the truth you seek, then the bible would answer your question with
Proverbs 17:24
"Sensible people keep their eyes glued on wisdom, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth."
The bible gives me AN answer. Not necessarily a correct one, nor is it even applicable to the OP.

Upvote 0

Buzz Dixon

Aug 25, 2004
Los Angeles
✟1,184.00
Faith
Christian
Bellman, ever see an old George Pal movie called THE POWER?

There's a guy in the movie who has ESP and doesn't show it.

There's a guy in the movie who has ESP and doesn't know it.

Since neither character is outwardly demonstrating his ESP abilities (the guy who knows he has it is careful to hide it; the guy who has it but doesn't know he has it never realized he was manifesting it since it only occured in random and insignificant ways), neither character is known to possess ESP by the other characters in the movie.

The guy who knows he has ESP immediately recognizes the guy who has it but doesn't know it.

Hence, at the beginning of the movie ('cuz the plot kicks into high gear shortly thereafter):
ESP is not known to exist by the world at large.
The only person who knows ESP exists is the person who has it and knows about it.
The person who has and knows about it uses his ESP to read other people's minds, which is how he recognizes ESP in the second character.

Thus it is safe to say in the real world today, nobody has proved ESP exists.
The likelihood of ESP existing is remote.
It nonetheless remains a tiny possibility that ESP may exist.

Upvote 0

Buzz Dixon

Aug 25, 2004
Los Angeles
✟1,184.00
Faith
Christian
The Bellman said:
I have no idea what "the vanity of knowledge" even means.
It's people who take pride in their learning and cognitive abilities while failing to realize they have just as many blindspots as everybody else, only located in different areas.

Remember the classic Farside cartoon with the kid trying to enter the School For Gifted Students by pushing on a door labeled "Pull?"

That's what we're talking about.

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Bellman said:
Recently I was having a discussion online with a Christian. He mentioned something in passing and I questioned him and it emerged that he believes that crop-circles are supernatural, that some people have extra-sensory powers, that bigfoot exists and that there's a government conspiracy to keep his existence quiet, and several other umm...'unusual' beliefs. Another couple of Christians were in the conversation, and they quickly told the first Christian that he was just being extremely gullible...and then, later, revealed that one of them believes in biblical numerology and the other believes in dowsing.

My question is, are Christians in general more gullible about things related to pseudo-science and the (supposedly) supernatural? If so, why? Is it that their Christianity makes them gullible, or are they christians because they're gullible?
Why would one have to be gullible to believe in a large hominid living in the wilds of North America that has reportedly been seen by many people? I'm not saying I believe or disbelieve in "Bigfoot" but it certainly wouldn't surprise me as new species are discovered every day.

Next you'll be telling me the leprachauns living in my flower bed aren't real. :p

Upvote 0

copernicus

Kinder, gentler atheist
May 19, 2002
Visit site
✟844.00
Faith
Atheist
forgivensinner001 said:
Why would one have to be gullible to believe in a large hominid living in the wilds of North America that has reportedly been seen by many people? I'm not saying I believe or disbelieve in "Bigfoot" but it certainly wouldn't surprise me as new species are discovered every day.
And don't forget that we even have a film of Bigfoot. What more scientific evidence could anyone ask for? Nothing seems to satisfy skeptics. The film was shot with a 16mm hand-held Kodak movie camera. It is so clear that you can even make out the zipper on the suit! ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Drifster

Sep 26, 2004
✟270.00
Faith
Baptist
Sorry, I'm not interested in people questioning my motives for asking a question. I've had too many people assign false motives too me.
I never accused you of any false motives, but was curious for your reason of wanting to know if Christians were "gullible". If there is a deeper question that you are seeking the answer for, why not just ask it? As a Christian, I'm obliged to help others find what they are looking for.

It is truth I seek. I have no idea what "the vanity of knowledge" even means.
Tis a true shame if you're unable too.:(

[

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
NoDeity said:
The regions in northwestern North America where Bigfoot is supposed to exist are not exactly unexplored. It seems more than a little unlikely that a species that big could live there all this time without being positively identified.
Bigfoot = Sasquatch, right?

Upvote 0

Drifster

Sep 26, 2004
✟270.00
Faith
Baptist
Buzz Dixon said:
It's people who take pride in their learning and cognitive abilities while failing to realize they have just as many blindspots as everybody else, only located in different areas.

Remember the classic Farside cartoon with the kid trying to enter the School For Gifted Students by pushing on a door labeled "Pull?"

That's what we're talking about.
Actually Buzz, I'm reminded of a dog spinning around and around and around in circles trying to catch it's tail. It rarely does, and when if it ever did, wouldn't have a clue what to do with it! :)

Upvote 0

CrownCaster

FlyFishers Of Men
Aug 18, 2004
✟1,995.00
Faith
Christian
The Bellman said:
Recently I was having a discussion online with a Christian. He mentioned something in passing and I questioned him and it emerged that he believes that crop-circles are supernatural, that some people have extra-sensory powers, that bigfoot exists and that there's a government conspiracy to keep his existence quiet, and several other umm...'unusual' beliefs. Another couple of Christians were in the conversation, and they quickly told the first Christian that he was just being extremely gullible...and then, later, revealed that one of them believes in biblical numerology and the other believes in dowsing.

Well, I am not gullible enough to get into this poorly disguised opportunity to try and make Christians look stupid.:doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
NoDeity said:
The regions in northwestern North America where Bigfoot is supposed to exist are not exactly unexplored. It seems more than a little unlikely that a species that big could live there all this time without being positively identified.
Good point. And no remains have ever been found afaik.

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
NoDeity said:
Okay. I was watching a documentary the other day about this. Six teams working independently sought to answer, once-and-for-all, is there a legitimate chance that the Sasquatch exists.

The results: Four teams said yes it probably exists; two returned inconclusive results; none of them said an outright no.

You be the judge.

Upvote 0