Are Christians commanded to judge?

J

jonas3

Christians are commanded in Scripture to separate themselves from unbelievers and false religion. Christians are commanded to, "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment." - Jn 7:24. What is righteous judgment? Righteous judgment is not judging by APPEARANCE, OBSERVATIONS, or someone’s SINCERTY, but according to the gospel of Jesus Christ. If a person does not believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ, then that person is currently lost (i.e. unregenerate). There exist no Christian who is ignorant of the gospel of Jesus Christ, which conditions salvation alone on the atoning blood and imputed righteousness of Christ towards His people alone. In Romans 10:2 it is written,

“For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.” – Ro 10:2.

There are many people who have, “a zeal of God”, but, “not according to knowledge”. What does this mean? It means that they APPEAR to have a form of godliness, but they lack true knowledge. They call themselves Christians, are very sincere in their beliefs, live moral lives, and strive to obey God’s commands; however, despite their “zeal”, they are ignorant of something. What are they ignorant of? What knowledge do they lack? We read in the next verse,

“For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.” – Ro 10:3.

These people are, “ignorant of God’s righteousness”, which shows that they are ignorant of the gospel, as it is written,

"16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." - Ro 1:16-17.

They lack the knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and are going about to establish their own righteousness, because they are ignorant of God’s righteousness. All those who do not believe that the atoning blood and imputed righteousness of Christ alone demands the salvation of all whom He died are unregenerate. Furthermore, all those who profess that their salvation is somehow conditioned on themselves, or believe that others are saved who profess that their salvation is somehow conditioned on themselves are unregenerate. They do not believe (i.e. understand) the gospel. They do not believe that true faith professes that Jesus Christ met all of the conditions for salvation; therefore, when they say that others are saved who do not profess that Jesus Christ met all of the conditions for salvation, they show themselves to be unregenerate, because they are implying that they believed that they were saved when they conditioned salvation on themselves. Now if a person believes that someone is saved (i.e. regenerate) while conditioning salvation on themselves, then they must believe that to be the true gospel, or at least an acceptable gospel; therefore, Christians can rightly judge that person to be lost and ignorant of the gospel, because the true gospel only conditions salvation on the work of Christ, and a Christian would never profess that they were saved when they believed a false gospel of salvation conditioned on the sinner.

Therefore, those who do not believe the gospel, which includes all who are ignorant of the gospel, are unregenerate. All people who are unregenerate are to be separated from in fellowship (i.e. they are not to be called brothers or sisters in Christ). Let me make this clear, Christians are not to judge the eternal state of an individual (i.e. judge one to be going to hell (1Cor 2:15)); however, they are commanded to judge someone to be a Christian or not depending on that persons doctrine (i.e. belief in the true gospel of Jesus Christ). The gospel is the means by which Christians are to judge other people, judging by any other standard is wicked. As it is written,

"9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. 10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds." - 2John 1:9-11

Finally, can Christians know the heart of an individual? This all relates back to what has just been said about judging. Plainly, the Scriptures teach, “But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:” – 2Cor 4:3. Therefore, Christians can know if a person is an unbeliever by their profession. Christians can know the heart of an individual because if the gospel is hidden to someone, then they are lost. By definition, if one cannot judge between the true gospel and the false gospel, then that person must be ignorant of the gospel, because they do not know what is true, and what is false, and they are currently lost (i.e. unregenerate).

In addition, please also consider this passage in Matthew,

"10 And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: 11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. 12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying? 13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up. 14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. 15 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable. 16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding? 17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? 18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man." - Mat 15:10-20.

When someone professes “blasphemies” against the gospel of Jesus Christ (i.e. partial depravity, conditional election, universal atonement, resistible grace, conditional perseverance, etc) those “blasphemies” are said to, “come forth from the heart”; therefore, from a persons profession Christians can know their heart, and Christians can know these people to be “blind” (i.e. ignorant of the gospel). This does not imply that they can never be saved (i.e. regenerated), but rather that they are currently not saved (i.e. regenerated). However, if they are regenerated by God, then they would never again profess a belief in a false gospel, or call others who profess a belief in a false gospel to be their brothers and sisters in Christ, or ever say that they were saved (i.e. regenerated) when they believed in a false gospel.

-jonas

J

jonas3

reformedfan said:
good thing it's Christ's blood that justifies a person, not their belief system, eh, Jonas?

If a person believes that Christ shed His blood to justify everyone without exception (including those who end up in hell), then that "christ" justifies no one, and that belief system is damnable (i.e. they are unregenerate, and will remain so unless God regenerates them). Those who say that they are fellow "Christians" are also unregenerate, or those who say that they were saved (i.e. regenerate) while they believed in such heresies are also unregenerate. Belief in the true gospel, is something all Christians (regenerate people) know and profess. Their "belief system" is very important, since it is the faith that they received from God through regeneration.

"16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." - Mark 16:16

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - Jn 3:18

"16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." - Ro 1:16-17

"3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." - 2Cor 4:3-4

"In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:" - 2Th 1:8

"For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?" - 1Pet 4:17

"9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. 10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds." - 2Jn 1:9-11

-jonas

Upvote 0

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
http://lightintheblack.co.uk/forum/portal.php
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
hey, wanna hear a funny joke, Jonas? You wanna be a hyper Calvinist, but you keep insisting that something other than Christ's blood is what justifies a sinner. Isn't that funny! You keep trying to tie grace to WORKS: a person's belief system, BWAHAHAHAA! Just like an arminian only worse!!

Isn't that a riot!! Man, you slay me!

Upvote 0