Are Anglicans/Episcopalians Protestant?

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks! :) That post answered all my questions.

Please read the whole thread. Many Anglicans such as myself are not ashamed of our protestant faith. Many Anglicans unfortunately feel Protestant is equivalent to "Illegitimate" which simply is not true.

We are Protestant, not in the common (incorrect) sense of the word, implying a certain form of american evangelicalism, but in the proper historical understanding of the word.

Protestant is not the opposite of Catholic as many sadly say. Many Catholics such as myself are quite protestant.

Protestantism is a Return to Catholicism, not a break from it.

Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well the Anglican Church was a true refomation of the Catholic Church, if fact many off the changes the AC did are changes that are dreamed by Catholic liberals for centuries.
Continental protestants like Lutherans and even more Anabaptists, Calvinists and British separatists were actually more a revolution that a reform of the Church and went in my opinion too far away from the Apostolic Church producing things like american fundamental evangelicalism that is just good old Brittish separatism revisitied.
The AC in my opinion like a ship with three bows. One looks towards Catholicism, the other toward Calvinist protestantism and the other toward liberal univesalism.
In her finest hours the AC mixes the best of those traditions and produces fruit like C.S. Lewis or Sadhu Sangar Singh. Sometimes it looks like is mixing the worst of those traditions and leaving me confused.

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
The AC in my opinion like a ship with three bows. One looks towards Catholicism, the other toward Calvinist protestantism and the other toward liberal univesalism.
In her finest hours the AC mixes the best of those traditions and produces fruit like C.S. Lewis or Sadhu Sangar Singh. Sometimes it looks like is mixing the worst of those traditions and leaving me confused.

Point taken, but couldn't a similiar characterisation be made against all denominations including the 'Catholic' Church? One looking towards progressevism, one toward traditionalism and the other toward liberal universalism.

Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Catholic Chruch does not have a Calvinist party.
Is more like liberal universalists vs traditionalists. With most people sitting somewere in near the middle on both sides. And the Vatican acting as a partial refeere that favors one party in one things and sometimes the others.
In my opinion the RCC politicas are like a tug of war while the AC politics are more like a triangle.
That is my mental image of the politics in those churches.
Cannot comment in EOC politics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Point taken, but couldn't a similiar characterisation be made against all denominations including the 'Catholic' Church? One looking towards progressevism, one toward traditionalism and the other toward liberal universalism.

Of course.

One characteristic of Anglicanism that I have to respect is that despite its breadth and the tensions that come from this, it doesn't lie about itself by claiming that every member in every pew certainly believes the exact same thing, that we have no divisions, yada yada yada.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course.

One characteristic of Anglicanism that I have to respect is that despite its breadth and the tensions that come from this, it doesn't lie about itself by claiming that every member in every pew certainly believes the exact same thing, that we have no divisions, yada yada yada.

Haha, dad and i were discussing that with an Orthodox friend of ours the other day.

(He's a good guy)

Upvote 0

CatholicFlame

The Lord is Risen Indeed
Nov 4, 2007
California
Visit site
✟20,269.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
But isn't the main difference to answering this question that mainline protestants are derived from the changes implemented by martin luther and anglicanism derived from the changes of someone else?

It seems like they are not both of the same founder so much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The CoE was a Catholic Church who allowed the King's wife to give a protestant element into the worship.

SInce the Church was more controlled by its national leader rather than the Pontiff.

So i think altho they originated from Apostolic roots, they removed themselves from their only Successor.

Upvote 0