Are AI Products really "Le Creme de la Creme"?

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Boy, would I LOVE to see this happen.
"But they have a solution to the problem. First, they will “align technology with humanity’s best interests” and then AI will help us learn to love each other."
I'm glad to hear this if it's true.
"That would be worrisome if AI can indeed act autonomously, setting its own goals and deceiving humans to achieve them. Fortunately, this is not the case."

Upvote 0

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Alright everyone, I've been doing some checking on the main reason for this thread which is: Can AI image creator create an image (concept or character) better than the one(s) a person who originally thought up the concept or character description? And after lots of attempts of creating images on DALL-E and NightCafe here is what I have found.

I can't draw or paint worth a darn but I have fascinating images in my head. I would love to put these images to paper somehow and DALL-E and NightCafe give me kind of that ability. To create an image (concept or character), one has to describe what the image should look like on paper. Using lots of nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs, one enters the description. The better one describes the concept or character the better the output looks.

The images I created some were really good and some were so so but they were all way, way better than anything I could have drawn or painted with the experience that I have at art. The drawback is that nearly everyone of the AI generated images was not nearly as good as the images I had in my head. If I were an excellent artist and painted those images in my head, they would have been superior to the AI generated images. Why? Because they would be more precise and have touches the AI art generator could not even conceive of.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,896.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Alright everyone, I've been doing some checking on the main reason for this thread which is: Can AI image creator create an image (concept or character) better than the one(s) a person who originally thought up the concept or character description? And after lots of attempts of creating images on DALL-E and NightCafe here is what I have found.

I can't draw or paint worth a darn but I have fascinating images in my head. I would love to put these images to paper somehow and DALL-E and NightCafe give me kind of that ability. To create an image (concept or character), one has to describe what the image should look like on paper. Using lots of nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs, one enters the description. The better one describes the concept or character the better the output looks.

The images I created some were really good and some were so so but they were all way, way better than anything I could have drawn or painted with the experience that I have at art. The drawback is that nearly everyone of the AI generated images was not nearly as good as the images I had in my head. If I were an excellent artist and painted those images in my head, they would have been superior to the AI generated images. Why? Because they would be more precise and have touches the AI art generator could not even conceive of.
Here is the point made by the US Copyright Office: Take the prompt you've written. Enter it five times, or better, enter the same prompt into five different AI engines. If you get a different image each time (which you will), then it's not you creating the image, it's the AI.

That is no different from an advertising agency hiring five different photographers and given each the same concept for an image. The five different photographers will produce five different images from the same concept...because the creativity is theirs, not the ad agency's.

Reactions: Hvizsgyak
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Are AI Products really "Le Creme de la Creme"?​

I'll let you all be the judge:

Asking dall-E to draw: "a restaurant scene where the customers are Guinea pigs and the servers are kitties".

_36de1578-af39-49dd-9b4f-43dd23bedb56.jpg

My sense is theres a few important things that are kind of.... off.

• Haha
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,096.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Asking dall-E to draw: "a restaurant scene where the customers are Guinea pigs and the servers are kitties".

Looks like the guinea pig is part of the menu. Which reminds me...

Wife and I walking around a market in Lima a few years ago. Lot's of fresh produce, meat, fish, fruit. Fascinating place. Colorful, busy. Then we walked past a section that had lots of guinea pigs in cages.
'Awww, look', says wife. 'They're so cute...'.
'Umm, this isn't the pet section, dear' I say. 'This is part of the meat section.'

I tried one a couple of days later. Looked like fried road kill. Tasted...meh...

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

View attachment 341057

This restaurant seems to have odd idea about what "serving customers" means.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

View attachment 341057

I'll say, first of all the crudité is way too large, the one cat's smile looks forced, and where are the birds outside?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll say, first of all the crudité is way too large, the one cat's smile looks forced, and where are the birds outside?
If this is AI working “as planned”, think of what gems it’ll cough up while trying to convince the guy threatening to unplug it that it needs” just a little more of that sweet sweet electricity! PLEASE!”

We’re doomed.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
If this is AI working “as planned”, think of what gems it’ll cough up while trying to convince the guy threatening to unplug it that it needs” just a little more of that sweet sweet electricity! PLEASE!”

We’re doomed.

"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,256.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or are they just another choice in a long slew of suggestions?

The article wouldn't be that bad if it would have just said "this is what AI thinks the characters of Harry Potter should look like". But no, the article goes on to say "One Potterhead used AI to generate images of what the iconic characters should really have looked like in the film adaptation based on the book descriptions.". Giving the AI generated images the official end product. Hopefully this type of reliance on AI's output won't trickle down into real life situations such as business making decisions - oops, I spoke to soon:

or religious thought:

Will faithful followers be able to distinguish between a homily inspired by The Holy Spirit and a homily created by AI? Is there going to be a difference? How will the faithful followers know that they are not being lead down a very clever ruse hidden in the deepest depths of the AI program?

I love what AI can do in many circumstances. I've always wanted to be able to express my thoughts thru art BUT stick figures are my best works. The same goes for music. I have new songs in my head just waiting to be put on paper BUT I have no idea how to do that in a decent amount of time. AI allows me to do both of those things (if I could only afford it now) (and I don't mind giving the AI 90% of the credit for the works just so I can get my thoughts down on permanent paper or canvas.

Interesting collection of articles. I liked the Catholic overview of how we should engage with this especially. Regarding the essential principles they articulated, however, there is still a lot of work to be done. As the church says AI should remain the servant of humanity.

Regarding sermons, I was taught in homiletics class that a sermon was the communication of truth through personality. An AI can produce a representation of a personality, that feels real but is in fact just an inconsistent composite of many human thoughts and words. AI has no soul and that inauthenticity will come across from the pulpit. The words will be right but not cohere with a human soul, or a human body and physical context. It is the ultimate in hypocrisy to compose love poems without a heart, to write soulful poetry from the pulpit without a soul, and to communicate truths for which you have no possibility of paying any price.

Regarding the Catholic principles:

Transparency: AI systems must be understandable to all.

People do not understand how they come to the conclusions that they do. Since 2016 google has used a machine-learning approach to its search engine algorithm. It seems to work but they do not know why.

Inclusion: These systems must not discriminate against anyone because every human being has equal dignity.

This seems a little like a prescription for moral relativism. Some things are true and some are false and simply not offending people seems to lead to fudged, verbose, or confused answers from AI and especially in the area of religion.

Accountability: There must always be someone who takes responsibility for what a machine does.

Corporations or nation-states own AIs, who has ever gone to prison for this?

Impartiality: AI systems must not follow or create biases.

As with inclusion, the bias of never taking a position can itself foster moral relativism and confusing answers that seek not to offend rather than impart truth.

Reliability: AI must be reliable.

AI is still learning, and everything it says requires testing. I wrote a program yesterday with an AI, but it requires hours of to and fro, corrections and more and more precise questions before it solves the problem. By then it had forgotten its answer to previous issues and so in the end I just finished the program myself and got it working. Still working with an AI like that probably saved me a lot of time.

Security and Privacy: These systems must be secure and respect the privacy of users.

GDPR rules need enforcing, the Legal framework is there. But the fact is that it borrows from the full weight of human knowledge to draw conclusions and so individual internet footprints can be more easily read by it than pre-AI

Upvote 0