Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so you you are saying as member of OBOB that it is good thing to do?

Not sure what OBOB has to do with it. I don't side with fundamental fanatics or liberals. I find my guidance in God alone and His means of discernment in forming my own opinion in supplication to Him that He may show me if I am wrong or not. If your pigeonholing me for being a Catholic then you may be surprised to find that I am orthodox. (at least in my mind. lol)

To be honest, I haven't read the article yet but if I understand the OP correctly they are listing the accused right? Correct me if I am wrong.

I mean, if I was accused and actually innocent then I wouldn't much like it if I were in those shoes but if I was guilty then what else could I expect right? Either way a matter of public record. I guess I would prefer only those actually convicted were listed. Innocent until proven guilty; yet having not read the article I would hope that is the case yet nevertheless exposing is good. Are people assuming guilt without convicition do you think just because it public record? That would be pretty small minded I would think. I don't presume to be judge and jury, do you?

I know there are cases of innocents accused all the time and that most people don't usually consider that this is a possibility and judge harshly and thats unfortunate and the best reason to shelter the possibly innocent. Its another casualty of the sin of the guilty in a way isn't it? What do we judge and how do we judge correctly? Do we blindly point and blame as many or as much as we can from the same ignorance that burned witches or do we try to get to the root of the issue and find the answers to why and how this could happen?

I don't think any convicted pedophile or criminal for that matter should be anything less than public knowledge. Its a very good deterrent and the shame of it may actually be part of the wake up call for the guilty to take a serious look at how they got where they did. The right to protection from detraction is often outweighed by the severity of crime or necessary protection of the innocent, would you agree?

See, that being said though there are flaws in the system too. I know of an actual case where an 18 year old is on a pedophile list for statutory rape of his 16 year old girlfriend and may be on that list the rest of his life, have to report to where ever he moves and notify his neighbors he is a registered offender.

Now the crux of the matter; the condition and disorder. What is the cure? Where/how do we as a society, both spiritually and psychologically work to rectify the problem? Certainly not by hiding/denying the problem exists or in failing to understand it for what it is. Sooner or later these conditions need to be treated lest the epidemic increase further. There are already whole prisons dedicated to only pedophiles in every state nearly. Shouldn't it be sooner than after its too late?

Peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeanM

Jun 4, 2007
✟5,870.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Just curious~

It seems that the listed priests fall into one of three categories: Dead, Laicized, and "Ministry is permanently restricted and he has accepted a supervised life of Prayer and Penance."

Dead is obvious. Laicized means returned to the status of a layman, and the third might mean incarcerated?

I wonder why they don't just say incarcerated if that's what they mean. Otherwise, it kinda looks like most of these guys got off scott free, which would be a travesty, IMHO.

Hmmmm.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just curious~

It seems that the listed priests fall into one of three categories: Dead, Laicized, and "Ministry is permanently restricted and he has accepted a supervised life of Prayer and Penance."

Dead is obvious. Laicized means returned to the status of a layman, and the third might mean incarcerated?

I wonder why they don't just say incarcerated if that's what they mean. Otherwise, it kinda looks like most of these guys got off scott free, which would be a travesty, IMHO.

Hmmmm.

I heard somewhere the majority are under house arrest. That would be a question for the authorities I suppose. I wonder if they have one of those little GPS bracelets?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.