Archbishop Elpidophoros of GOA closing out the DNC with a prayer.

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I heard he was going to "be there" and so he gave a prayer "In the Name of the Holy Trinity." His appearance at the DNC came as no surprise given Biden's history of receiving awards from the EP/GOA. It could be argued that the Archbishop's prayers at the DNC is because they are especially in need of his prayers.

Edit: Found a video of the prayer itself.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Xenophon

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the only issue I heard is that he prayed for VP Biden as the President.

but there should be no issue that he was there or praying (unless it was a joint prayer, and I don't think it was). we always have prayed for our civil leaders.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think the only issue I heard is that he prayed for VP Biden as the President.

but there should be no issue that he was there or praying (unless it was a joint prayer, and I don't think it was). we always have prayed for our civil leaders.
Ah, I see. Thanks for that nuanced explaination.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I heard he was going to "be there" and so he gave a prayer "In the Name of the Holy Trinity." His appearance at the DNC came as no surprise given Biden's history of receiving awards from the EP/GOA. It could be argued that the Archbishop's prayers at the DNC is because they are especially in need of his prayers.
They've done this for both conventions for at least th last 20 years.

See this note from 2016: Archbishop Demetrios Delivers Benediction at Republican National Convention - 2016 News Releases - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

From that article:

Following a long established tradition in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese to offer a prayer in both the Republican and the Democratic Conventions, Archbishop Demetrios was invited by the Republican National Committee and was introduced by its Chairman Reinhold Richard "Reince" Priebus.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He didn't.

well, maybe. it depends on if he prayed for "Joe Biden, for the highest office in the land..." or if it was "Joe Biden for the highest office in the land..."

the former has no issue, the latter does. honestly, it's hard for me to tell which from the video.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The text of the sentence is ungrammatical either way, it seems like there's a word missing or he flubbed the function of an English preposition.

We pray that You would shine the light of Your countenance upon the delegates of this convention, and upon Vice President Joe Biden for the highest office in the land.

With or without the comma, that clause doesn't parse like that with that verb. You can't shine a light on somebody for some intention like that, that's not what words mean. Meanwhile, if you go with the hypothesis that perhaps "their nominee" or some participle like "running..." got elided or the name got substituted for "their nominee", the text seems a lot like the 2016 GOP convention prayer:

Furthermore, Almighty Lord, send forth your guiding hand upon these Your servants, the delegates of the Republican National Convention and their nominees for the superb and awesome office of the President and Vice President of the United States of America, Donald Trump and Mike Pence, and lead them unto wisdom and discernment...

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
well, maybe. it depends on if he prayed for "Joe Biden, for the highest office in the land..." or if it was "Joe Biden for the highest office in the land..."

the former has no issue, the latter does. honestly, it's hard for me to tell which from the video.

The former is not congruent to the rest of the content of the sentence in that prayer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,770.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think that while it is good and right to pray for anyone, including leaders, in our Liturgy or private prayer, it is not good for our bishops to pray at partisan events, period. Doesn’t matter whether it’s for the Republicans or Democrats. By standing up at a partisan event, the bishop gives the appearance of endorsing the partisan side. Even the appearance that is not fact is bad. A bishop also appears to represent us as the Church, and our endorsement of the partisan side.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The former is not congruent to the rest of the content of the sentence in that prayer.

nah, it can be. there is nothing wrong with praying for the delegates, the VP, and the Presidency as three separate things to pray for.

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
nah, it can be. there is nothing wrong with praying for the delegates, the VP, and the Presidency as three separate things to pray for.

Agreed. In the OP:
It could be argued that the Archbishop's prayers at the DNC is because they are especially in need of his prayers.

What clues me in on the opposing side is that he didn't pray for them to repent of their stance on crimes against children, born and unborn.

It's funny because if you go to the YouTube video itself, the like to dislike ratio is amazingly negative, and being that it is hosted by the GOA channel itself, I doubt those dislikes are all random members of the Right Wing Death Squad, but rather Greek Orthodox Christians like myself who profoundly disagree with the Archbishops presence and representation of us at the DNC.

Transcript of the prayer from the GOA channel:
Let us pray. Most merciful and loving God, As we gather in soberness of mind and of heart for the sake of our Nation and its future, We pray that You would shine the light of Your Countenance Upon the Delegates of this Convention, And upon Vice President Joe Biden for the highest office in the land. As we face the future as One American Nation, Bring us to our best selves and inspire our better angels, In peace, in fairness, and in generosity. That we may fight against injustice, inequality, and hatred. That we may achieve a common good, a greater good, In the Name of the Holy Trinity we pray. Amen

No comma.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Brighid
Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
yeah, you can. I have heard plenty of prayers for leadership that follow that pattern.
I'll take your word for it, but this doesn't make grammatical sense: We pray that You would shine the light of Your countenance ... upon Vice President Joe Biden for the highest office in the land. Inserting a comma doesn't make it make grammatical sense, either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Agreed. In the OP:

What clues me in on the opposing side is that he didn't pray for them to repent of their stance on crimes against children, born and unborn.

It's funny because if you go to the YouTube video itself, the like to dislike ratio is amazingly negative, and being that it is hosted by the GOA channel itself, I doubt those dislikes are all random members of the Right Wing Death Squad, but rather Greek Orthodox Christians like myself who profoundly disagree with the Archbishops presence and representation of us at the DNC.

No comma.

Well, the original video of the DNC also had significantly more dislikes, but the dislikes are purged in standard Google Manipulation way.

Same with the other DNC videos. They be purging the dislikes because clearly only Russian Bots would dare dislike such videos.

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, the original video of the DNC also had significantly more dislikes, but the dislikes are purged in standard Google Manipulation way.

Same with the other DNC videos. They be purging the dislikes because clearly only Russian Bots would dare dislike such videos.

I edited the OP video to just the prayer itself which is hosted on the GOA channel. It's getting ratio'd there as well. Now, you could argue that the GOA is the Orthodox Church of Democrats, but that still doesn't explain why. Point being, the average RWDS more than likely doesn't know the structure of the Orthodox Church, who or what an Archbishop is in the context of the GOA, nor go to the GOA channel just to search out the prayer given by the religious guy wearing the funny hat (since most RWDS's are Protestants).

Nah, I think he's getting organically ratio'd by the Church laity.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'll take your word for it, but this doesn't make grammatical sense: We pray that You would shine the light of Your countenance ... upon Vice President Joe Biden for the highest office in the land. Inserting a comma doesn't make it make grammatical sense, either.

well, it can. it could sound like he is praying for the delegates, the Vice President, and the presidency in general (as the highest office in the land).

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. In the OP:

No comma.

well, that's no good.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
well, it can. it could sound like he is praying for the delegates, the Vice President, and the presidency in general (as the highest office in the land).
Okay, I see, if you're reading it as, "We pray that You would shine the light of Your countenance ... for the highest office in the land", that would indeed make sense as a third thing in a list, but I don't think that would be his meaning. I think the reading in Archbishop Elpidophoros of GOA closing out the DNC with a prayer. is more sensible but either reading is more sensible than thinking the Archbishop was praying an endorsement of Biden rather than the exact sort of prayers offered at both conventions for at least the last couple decades by the Archbishop of the Greek Archdiocese.

Upvote 0