Archbishop Dmitri of Dallas and the South (EO)

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think that was the case during Metropolitan Herman or Jonah's election. The election of Metropolitan Theodosius though, Vladika Dmitri had the clear majority vote, but the Synod wasn't ready for a convert metropolitan (yet) mostly out of fear that other jurisdictions wouldn't view the OCA as being legitimate. It was the 1970s, it was a different time.
it was Metropolitan Herman. Archbishop Dmitri was retired by Metropolitan Jonah

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think that was the case during Metropolitan Herman or Jonah's election. The election of Metropolitan Theodosius though, Vladika Dmitri had the clear majority vote, but the Synod wasn't ready for a convert metropolitan (yet) mostly out of fear that other jurisdictions wouldn't view the OCA as being legitimate. It was the 1970s, it was a different time.
WOW.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, it sounds scandalous now, but the 1970s were a different time. The OCA was considerably more Slavic in character at the time too to the extend that we would have described it as "diet Russian" today; the switch to the New Calendar for example didn't happen until about 1982 or so. Vladika Dmitri's status as a bishop, because he was an American convert, was viewed with such suspicion by others that when he was Bishop of Berkley in the 1960s, the Bay Area ROCOR community was convinced he was a KGB agent because that was the only way they could rationalize there being a non-Russian American bishop! It's sad, yes, but that's history and the best thing we can do is learn from it, forgive others for their ignorance/xenophobia, and move on. Trust me, it is a lot easier said then done.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, it sounds scandalous now, but the 1970s were a different time. The OCA was considerably more Slavic in character at the time too to the extend that we would have described it as "diet Russian" today; the switch to the New Calendar for example didn't happen until about 1982 or so. Vladika Dmitri's status as a bishop, because he was an American convert, was viewed with such suspicion by others that when he was Bishop of Berkley in the 1960s, the Bay Area ROCOR community was convinced he was a KGB agent because that was the only way they could rationalize there being a non-Russian American bishop! It's sad, yes, but that's history and the best thing we can do is learn from it, forgive others for their ignorance/xenophobia, and move on. Trust me, it is a lot easier said then done.
I didn't mean to condemn anybody by my "wow," just to express my total surprise.

No KGB agent wrote "Miracles of Christ," that's for sure...

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember people were wigging out when Met Jonah was elected as the first convert who became the primate.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember people were wigging out when Met Jonah was elected as the first convert who became the primate.
Everyone has to be received at some point in their life. No one is born baptized...

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I didn't mean to condemn anybody by my "wow," just to express my total surprise.

No KGB agent wrote "Miracles of Christ," that's for sure...
No, I didn't read your post that way, but this is the internet where all posts are public and I'm sure some naysayer out there would have.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I remember that too, but my reservations were less his convert status (like me) and more his lack of experience and inability to listen to advice which was known in the Diocese of the West. Both of which ultimately led to his downfall.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember that too, but my reservations were less his convert status (like me) and more his lack of experience and inability to listen to advice which was known in the Diocese of the West. Both of which ultimately led to his downfall.
well, he’s doing well now from what I see

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
and his commentary on Romans is wonderfully pastoral.
The commentary on the Gospel of John will probably take me about six months, but I definitely want to check out the one on Romans, too. The Archbishop is an extremely sober, down-to-earth, and accessible writer. Father Seraphim Rose is also a very strong writer as a writer, but Archbishop Dmitri seems to have developed his God-given talents to an unusual degree, maybe in part because he lived much longer.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The commentary on the Gospel of John will probably take me about six months, but I definitely want to check out the one on Romans, too. The Archbishop is an extremely sober, down-to-earth, and accessible writer. Father Seraphim Rose is also a very strong writer as a writer, but Archbishop Dmitri seems to have developed his God-given talents to an unusual degree, maybe in part because he lived much longer.
maybe, plus he had to govern a far larger flock than Fr Seraphim.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0