Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Archbishop Benjamin of San Francisco and the West (OCA) has recently been diagnosed with the early stages of Parkinson's Disease. From the Diocese of the West website:

Important News from His Eminence, Archbishop Benjamin - The Diocese of the West

Beloved in Christ:

The Lord bless.

Recently, I have been noticing a tremor and other symptoms that may indicate Parkinson’s Disease. After a battery of tests, I was indeed diagnosed with the initial stages of Parkinson’s. At this juncture, I do not expect it will adversely impact my ability to fulfill my duties as bishop. However, as always, I am grateful to His Grace, Bishop Daniel, for his assistance and no doubt will require his help more and more as the disease progresses. I ask for your prayers as I move forward.

With gratitude to God for all things;

†Benjamin
Archbishop of San Francisco

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My beloved mother has had Parkinson’s for about 13 years now. It’s hard, it’s humbling, it’s trying, it’s miserable, but it hasn’t broken her. Depending on the severity and variant of it, the archbishop could still discharge his duties and lead effectively. May the lord bless him!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My beloved mother has had Parkinson’s for about 13 years now. It’s hard, it’s humbling, it’s trying, it’s miserable, but it hasn’t broken her. Depending on the severity and variant of it, the archbishop could still discharge his duties and lead effectively. May the lord bless him!

my grandmother had it as well. it was rough to watch her mentally go. but she was a fighter, that's for sure.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My mom's struggle has been more of a physical one than a cerebral one. My mom's mind is sharp as a tack, as they say, but her limbs have suffered the most. Tremors, electrical current firing incorrectly (she says you haven't lived until you feel like an entire ant hill is crawling over your feet and legs 24/7), soreness, and difficulty getting around have been the worst part. The only mental part she struggles with is the unknown. When people knock at the door or the phone rings or she has to do something difficult and involving motor skills like taking a shower or washing her hair, it fires up her tremors like mad. But when it comes to memory, awareness, knowledge, short term and long term memories, keeping up to date, she's better than many people my age, I'll tell you that. I thank God for that part!

my grandmother had it as well. it was rough to watch her mentally go. but she was a fighter, that's for sure.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My mom's struggle has been more of a physical one than a cerebral one. My mom's mind is sharp as a tack, as they say, but her limbs have suffered the most. Tremors, electrical current firing incorrectly (she says you haven't lived until you feel like an entire ant hill is crawling over your feet and legs 24/7), soreness, and difficulty getting around have been the worst part. The only mental part she struggles with is the unknown. When people knock at the door or the phone rings or she has to do something difficult and involving motor skills like taking a shower or washing her hair, it fires up her tremors like mad. But when it comes to memory, awareness, knowledge, short term and long term memories, keeping up to date, she's better than many people my age, I'll tell you that. I thank God for that part!

that's kinda how it was for my grandmother. but when her mind started to go, it went really fast.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm so sorry to hear it. Yeah, my mom has had Parkinson's for around 14 years now. I pray that what you describe doesn't take place. My mom tries hard to keep her mind active and she is super faithful with the medication. I just pray we can take one day at a time.

that's kinda how it was for my grandmother. but when her mind started to go, it went really fast.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, my mom has had Parkinson's for around 14 years now. I pray that what you describe doesn't take place. My mom tries hard to keep her mind active and she is super faithful with the medication. I just pray we can take one day at a time.

amen!

Upvote 0