88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟24,947.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sure we can, this is the 2nd time this has happened to me in the last 2 weeks and prolly the 3rd or 4th time since I joined CF... That you misunderstood me and I misunderstood you, creating a big arguement... My last one though lasted for 40 posts lol

:crosseo:

Why Shake Hands?

:hug:

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe that the Theotokos is ever-virgin and ever sinless.

It is truly fitting to call you blessed, O Theotokos, for you are ever-blessed, most pure, and the Mother of our God.

Higher in honor than the Cherubim, far surpassing in glory than the Seraphim; wiithout defilement, you gave birth to the Logos, Truly you are the Theotokos, we magnify you.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
88Devin07 said:
Sure we can, this is the 2nd time this has happened to me in the last 2 weeks and prolly the 3rd or 4th time since I joined CF... That you misunderstood me and I misunderstood you, creating a big arguement... My last one though lasted for 40 posts lol

:crosseo:

Why Shake Hands?

:hug:

:groupray:

You mean that this is our second misunderstanding? When and where was the first?

Must have missed that one.

Upvote 0

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟24,947.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No it was MY second misunderstanding since coming to TAW, it's our first lol...

And finally we agree, yes I believe she was ever-virgin and ever sinless...

For some reason I just cannot (there is resistance in me, something saying not to basically) pray to her. I've been taught to pray only to God himself.
Although I think it's ok to ask her and the Saints to pray for us, I just cannot believe it's ok to pray to her.

Upvote 0

Marjorie

Senior Veteran
Sep 5, 2004
✟11,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
88Devin07 said:

For some reason I just cannot (there is resistance in me, something saying not to basically) pray to her. I've been taught to pray only to God himself.
Although I think it's ok to ask her and the Saints to pray for us, I just cannot believe it's ok to pray to her.

That's what we believe too, Devin. To pray means literally to ask-- it's only recently in English that it's taken on a more definitive term. We ask Mary (pray Mary) to beseech God to bless us.

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Upvote 0

Marjorie

Senior Veteran
Sep 5, 2004
✟11,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
88Devin07 said:
Ok, my only problem was the asking her to protect you and asking saints to protect you, when in my opinion, only God can do that...

Or are you asking the Saints to ask God to protect you? Then Pray to God yourself?

The saints ask God to protect us and bless us and so on. All grace comes from God. Everything comes from God.

We also pray to God Himself. In fact, we MOSTLY do.

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
88Devin07 said:

One of our other members gave an excellent response in the thread that GraceMercyPeace opened yesterday. Eusebios, our TAW mod, is to be praised for his wonderful post whereby he told Grace to take an icon of the Theotokos and gaze upon it.

Now remember that the icons we have of the Theotokos are based on a Holy Image that was written by St. Luke the Evangelist, who was an artist and physician. St. Luke missed the crucifixion of Christ and went to visit the Theotokos who explained Her Son's Holy Birth. This he wrote in his Gospel according to St. Luke. He painted her image on her kitchen table. This miraculous image was faithfully copied by iconographers down through the ages.

So take the Icon of the Theotokos and talk to her like you would your mom or dad remembering that she is the Mother of God. She is alive in Heaven and can hear your prayers. She convinced her Son to change the water into wine. She can also intercede to God for you and help you in your daily struggles. So everytime you pray to the Theotokos, take her icon and realize when you venerate it, you are actually venerating (honoring) her. Therefore don't kiss her lips, but kiss her hands and the hands or the feet of the Christ Child.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟24,947.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Is it wrong to kiss the head of Jesus in the crucifix? Or should you kiss the feet?

Also, on icons... Are they regarded as icons if you print the icons out on the computer? (As a way to save tons of money)

I may be getting some icons soon, my best friend and his family which are good friends... Had a member, his grandmother, (who was catholic but in a way, joine our church) who died recently, and they said she had two beautiful pictures of Jesus they want to give to me... One is in 3d they said... So maybe one is an icon...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
88Devin07 said:
Is it wrong to kiss the head of Jesus in the crucifix? Or should you kiss the feet?

Also, on icons... Are they regarded as icons if you print the icons out on the computer? (As a way to save tons of money)

I may be getting some icons soon, my best friend and his family which are good friends... Had a member, his grandmother, (who was catholic but in a way, joine our church) who died recently, and they said she had two beautiful pictures of Jesus they want to give to me... One is in 3d they said... So maybe one is an icon...

It is preferable to kiss His feet.

You can also order icon prints - the Orthodox Prison ministry has lovely icon prints that are maybe $1.00 each. They are approximately 4" x 8." I don't know if they have had a price increase. But I think you can get a whole set for $12.00.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dominus Fidelis said:
Thanks for your explanations Aria, and sorry if they caused you any problems.

:wave:

No. I think it is good to explain things so that people really understand.

Actually, several Orthodox priests said that they appreciate the CCC - it appears that the Catholics are becoming more "Orthodox" as the time moves on. And I hope you don't take offense. This is what they said. ;)

Upvote 0

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟24,947.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I actually think though I can get away with ordering icons... I am someone who likes biblical paintings... We have them all over our house... Mainly in the living room and hall...

My parents just know that I love paintings and drawings like that, as I draw scenes myself, mainly from the crucifiction...

We also have been adding pictures to the church to "liven" it up, as it's hard having yellow walls mixed with brown wood and the stained glass windows...

In fact, I found many beautiful paintings just sitting next to our organ pipes in this little area were those pipes are specially seperated from everything else... So I put them back up in the the sanctuary and next to the entrance...

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟26,409.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Aria said:
No. I think it is good to explain things so that people really understand.

Actually, several Orthodox priests said that they appreciate the CCC - it appears that the Catholics are becoming more "Orthodox" as the time moves on. And I hope you don't take offense. This is what they said. ;)

If that's what they think, and it helps reunification, then I won't take offense.

:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
88Devin07 said:
I actually think though I can get away with ordering icons... I am someone who likes biblical paintings... We have them all over our house... Mainly in the living room and hall...

My parents just know that I love paintings and drawings like that, as I draw scenes myself, mainly from the crucifiction...

We also have been adding pictures to the church to "liven" it up, as it's hard having yellow walls mixed with brown wood and the stained glass windows...

In fact, I found many beautiful paintings just sitting next to our organ pipes in this little area were those pipes are specially seperated from everything else... So I put them back up in the the sanctuary and next to the entrance...

Maybe you should talk to an Orthodox Priest. .... maybe just maybe you can convert your entire church (or those who will accept) to the Orthodox Church.

This is the story of St. Peter Orthodox Church in San Dimas. It was the deacons who went to see Father Corrigan and told him that they had just received a word from God "To seek out the Ancient Way". After 2 or 3 deacons all came to their pastor with the same "word of God" without talking with one another, well that caught his attention. So the entire church started on a spiritual journey in search of the Ancient Church and they found the Holy Orthodox Church.

Maybe, dear little deacon, you can do the same.

Take it slowly day by day. And listen to God.

Upvote 0
K

Kolya

88Devin07 said:

Devin, I pray to Mary like any other Saint, "Theotokos, please pray for and intercede for me." It's that simple - or you can be as complex as you like and hold a long conversation with her. It's the same as any other Saint, or family, friends we know, or Jesus.

Upvote 0

Cary.Melvin

Roman Orthodox
Sep 3, 2003
Ocala, FL
✟1,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aria said:
I believe that the Theotokos is ever-virgin and ever sinless.

Aria,

You say that Mary is "ever sinless". Doesn't that mean that she was immaculate from her conception? I know that you used to be in the Catholic Church, do you still believe that Mary was immaculate from conception?

Upvote 0

Cary.Melvin

Roman Orthodox
Sep 3, 2003
Ocala, FL
✟1,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matrona said:
Hymns can seem to imply things that they don't really mean. We had someone visit at my parish who thought we believed in the IC based on our using the translation of the DL that refers to the Theotokos as "all-holy, immaculate, most blessed and glorious Lady Theotokos". But we quickly set him straight. We sometimes use similar words to the Roman Catholics but not with the same meanings; 'immaculate' is one of them.

im·mac·u·late
Pronunciation: i-'ma-ky&-l&t
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English immaculat, from Latin immaculatus, from in- + maculatus stained -- more at
[size=-1]MACULATE[/size]
1 : having no stain or blemish : [size=-1]PURE[/size]
2 : containing no flaw or error
3 a : spotlessly clean b : having no colored spots or marks <petals immaculate>
- im·mac·u·late·ly adverb

What is the Orthodox definition of immaculate? Can you set me straight?

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.