Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
lionroar0 said:
Has there been any visitations of Mary in the Orthodox Church that is similar to the apparitions in the CC? Just wondering

Peace

If I am not mistaken, most of the apparitions of the BVM to the Catholics have had a corrective message: repent, pray and fast.

However, in the Orthodox Church, the Theotokos has been a Protectress and an Advocate. Many times in Russia when the Church was threatened, her miraculous image was taken out of the Church in procession, where the her Holy Image would grow in size and her face would assume a very protective maternal gaze that would frighten the infidels away.

On Mount Athos, The Theotokos is the only woman allowed. She has appeared to correct monks who were careless in their spiritual lives or who were questioning her ever-virginity. These were private apparitions though and are not venerated like in the west.

In the East, however, we have a lot of myrrh-gushing icons of the Theotokos.

I was anointed with the oil that streamed from an Icon that visited Los Angeles. When I approached this Icon the first time, the Icon seemed dark and I didn't see the face of the Theotokos. Sensing inwardly that I needed to repent, I did so, and then I was able to see Her face with streams of heavenly-fragranced oil.

The priest anointed me with some of this oil and gave me a small piece of cotton to take home. For two years this small piece of cotton gave off the most beautiful floral aroma that I have ever smelled. And the odor would change ... sometimes smelling almost like roses at other times an unknown heavenly floral assortment.

I took a piece of cotton along with a printed copy of the miraculous Icon of the Theotokos to a Catholic cloistered monastery for the nuns to see. At first the mother superior did not believe, and she even said that she feared an asthma attack and needed to get her inhaler. But she stayed and listened as I told the story of the Miraculous Icon. In the thirty minutes that she spent with me, she never had that asthma attack, but I told her it was impossible to have an allergic reaction to heavenly oil. She was convinced that it was miraculous as she is deathly allergic to flowers but had no reaction whatsoever.

As I write this, I have another oil soaked cotton ball from a miraculous icon of the Theokos in Greece. The Icon is decorated with gold and silver so only Her face and hands are visible as well as the face of the Christ Child.The cotton ball is dry but has just now been rejuvenated and is filling the room with a heavenly aroma. It is from the Island of Andros and was given to me by Constantine Zalalas.

Glory to Jesus Christ.
Glory to Him Forever.

p.s. Every time I read this post, I smell the heavenly aroma. Miracles still happen today.

Reactions: Maximus
Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
lionroar0 said:
Has there been any visitations of Mary in the Orthodox Church that is similar to the apparitions in the CC? Just wondering

Peace

Many, many, many, many, many, many, many times. :) A prime example is the Protection of the Theotokos.

However, apparitions have always been considered highly susceptible to demonic influence, and it's always the apparition that has to be subject to the teachings of the Church, never the other way around.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Matrona said:
Many, many, many, many, many, many, many times. :) A prime example is the Protection of the Theotokos.

However, apparitions have always been considered highly susceptible to demonic influence, and it's always the apparition that has to be subject to the teachings of the Church, never the other way around.

Well said! Matrona is exactly right....

I was reading about Elder Paisius of the Holy Mountain. In the book, one of his spiritual sons, described an incident. He was visiting the Elder, and the Elder saw the Theotokos in the Church. He (the son) did not see her, but he said he felt something MAGNIFICENT walk by him...he said he wanted to weep. When he dared to peek, the Elder, was looking at "her" (whom no one else could see) and said to the Theotokos "Say, Glory to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit!"
She must have said it, because the Elder had a vision that followed.

Apparently, the Elder doesn't take chances, even with the Lord's own mother.
;)

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
StChristopherofPalestine said:
If I recall correctly, St. Seraphim of Sarov saw her three times.

As I recall from reading his life, the Theotokos miraculously restored him to health several times.

We honor the Theotokos as Protectress on October 1 of every year.

Another important fact, we submit all visions and miraculous events to the Church through our priest (and/or bishops) so that we will not fall into prelest or demonic attacks.

Sometimes the demon has appeared as an angel of light. There are many stories of good monks who have fallen from grace when they were deceived by the devil.

Another thing to keep in mind: Visions and miracles are not necessary for our salvation. Repentance and love of God and neighbor within our hearts are the only things truly needful.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Aria said:
As I recall from reading his life, the Theotokos miraculously restored him to health several times.

We honor the Theotokos as Protectress on October 1 of every year.

Another important fact, we submit all visions and miraculous events to the Church through our priest (and/or bishops) so that we will not fall into prelest or demonic attacks.

Sometimes the demon has appeared as an angel of light. There are many stories of good monks who have fallen from grace when they were deceived by the devil.

Another thing to keep in mind: Visions and miracles are not necessary for our salvation. Repentance and love of God and neighbor within our hearts are the only things truly needful.

:amen:

Thank you for posting this....it is truly a much needed reminder to us, to keep our focus: Jesus Christ.

Well done!

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Suzannah said:
Well said! Matrona is exactly right....

I was reading about Elder Paisius of the Holy Mountain. In the book, one of his spiritual sons, described an incident. He was visiting the Elder, and the Elder saw the Theotokos in the Church. He (the son) did not see her, but he said he felt something MAGNIFICENT walk by him...he said he wanted to weep. When he dared to peek, the Elder, was looking at "her" (whom no one else could see) and said to the Theotokos "Say, Glory to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit!"
She must have said it, because the Elder had a vision that followed.

Apparently, the Elder doesn't take chances, even with the Lord's own mother.
;)

Good story.

I agree with what has been posted thus far.

All alleged miracles and apparitions should be judged by the truth and not vice versa.

There is a lot of deception out there these days.

A supposed apparition of Mary that endorses or teaches falsehood should be rejected, no matter how glorious, beautiful, or otherwise inspiring.

The just live by faith, not by sight.

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟26,409.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Aria said:
If I am not mistaken, most of the apparitions of the BVM to the Catholics have had a corrective message: repent, pray and fast.

However, in the Orthodox Church, the Theotokos has been a Protectress and an Advocate.

Are you asserting that her messages to Catholics were to repent for being Catholics?

Upvote 0

Marjorie

Senior Veteran
Sep 5, 2004
✟11,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Dominus Fidelis said:
Are you asserting that her messages to Catholics were to repent for being Catholics?

I think Aria meant just in general... Mary often comes with a message of repentance... my (tied for) favorite apparition, Lourdes, being no exception... "Penance, penance, pray for sinners!"...

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dominus Fidelis said:

Thanks Marjorie, you answered well for me.

Dominus, if you had read my entire message in context, I also mentioned that our Lady has appeared and/or her miraculous Icon came alive, and spoke corrective words to careless monks at Mount Athos.

St. Silouan of Mt. Athos wrote that the Mother of God appeared to him (or spoke words to him) when he doubted that Mary was ever sinless.

Our Lady, the Theotokos, cares for our salvation, and if we need to repent for our personal sins and careless way of life, then she may admonish us.

Not too long ago, I went to visit a miraculous Icon of the Theotokos which was gushing streams of fragrant myrrh. When I approached Her Icon, I could not see Her features and the icon was very dark to me. Inwardly I realized that I needed to repent for my sins, and once I did repent, I could see Her features very clearly as the Icon suddenly became light. A miracle before my very eyes.

Your sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

frankincense

blessed with pitter patter
Jun 19, 2005
USA
✟18,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:

maximus said:
All alleged miracles and apparitions should be judged by the truth and not vice versa.

Worth repeating.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Marjorie said:
I think Aria meant just in general... Mary often comes with a message of repentance... my (tied for) favorite apparition, Lourdes, being no exception... "Penance, penance, pray for sinners!"...

In IC XC,
Marjorie

At Lourdes, didn't the supposed apparition of Mary tell Bernadette, "I am the Immaculate Conception"?

Would the Theotokos herself actually endorse that doctrine?

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maximus said:
At Lourdes, didn't the supposed apparition of Mary tell Bernadette, "I am the Immaculate Conception"?

The main message was one of prayer and repentance.

“Pray to God for sinners!”

The Roman Catholic Bishops wanted the name of the apparition and they were more interested in the name than in the message.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The main message was one of prayer and repentance.
The Roman Catholic Bishops wanted the name of the apparition and they were more interested in the name than in the message

Interesting how a such a wonderful thread can quickly turn into vitrol.

Peace

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
lionroar0 said:

Interesting how a such a wonderful thread can quickly turn into vitrol.

Peace

What vitriol?

The issue for me is whether or not a supposed apparition is authentic.

If Mary is alleged to have appeared and a patent falsehood is attributed to her, what conclusion is left?

Bogus apparition.

That is not vitriol.

It is just facing facts and avoiding being led down the wrong road. As Christians we are obligated to try the spirits ( 1 Tim. 4:1, 1 John 4:1).

Upvote 0

pravoslavno

May 28, 2005
Pindamonhangaba
✟7,658.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Maximus said:

I agree Max, i agree. :thumbsup:

I sugest the article "The Marian Apparitions: Divine Intervention or Delusion?", of Miriam Lambouras, in the Orthodox Christian Info Center.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
pravoslavno said:
I agree Max, i agree. :thumbsup:

I sugest the article "The Marian Apparitions: Divine Intervention or Delusion?", of Miriam Lambouras, in the Orthodox Christian Info Center.

I've read it. It's long, but very good.

Here it is for anyone who is interested.

That article is worth the time it takes to read it.

Thanks for reminding me of it, brother. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.