North Central Mass
✟46,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Can anyone explain this in a way that gets to the route of the problem? I'm really struggling to believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God because of this:

"He who does not love does not know God, for God is love."—1 John 4:8

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up."—1 Corinthians 13:4

"For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God."—Deuteronomy 4:24

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning."—James 1:17

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone explain this in a way that gets to the route of the problem? I'm really struggling to believe the Bible is the inerrant word of God because of this:

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up."—1 Corinthians 13:4

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning."—James 1:17
Can you please state what you believe is a contradiction? Ask a question that can be answered? Because I read these 4 verses and don't see what you see. :) Thanks.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If you are referring to Deuteronomy 4:24 and the word jealous, it means demanding exclusive service. It’s not in contradiction to the other verses about God being love because it’s referring to believers being separated from this fallen, sinful and dying world which is a loving attribute.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you are referring to Deuteronomy 4:24 and the word jealous, it means demanding exclusive service. It’s not in contradiction to the other verses about God being love because it’s referring to believers being separated from this fallen, sinful and dying world which is a loving attribute.
The word for jealous, qannâ', is actually at it's root "zealous."

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It would be a mistake for anyone to claim
their understanding of something is without error.

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I under where you are coming from people ask this a lot about the Bible which was written over thousands of years .In the Old Testament seems harsh to modern people today.But those people where at a much lower state of mind .When a parent yells at a child do not touch that hot stove ! its because a child doesn't have the mentality where a parent can reason with them rationally yet .Same with the people in the OT who where at a much lower state of mind than we could ever imagine today.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I see that zeal and passion also show up as English alternatives but if you take the context of the previous verse Deuteronomy 4:23 into account ‘jealous’ seems to me as the best choice.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

WhoIsLikeGod?

May 29, 2018
North Central Mass
✟46,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Actually, the word "jealous" in Deuteronomy 4:24 means 1. to be jealous of; 2. to be envious of; 3. to be zealous for; or 4. to excite to jealous anger. I'm using Strong's Concordance. Even if you use zealous as the root, please look at the cause for which God is jealous: making idols to worship. I find it hard to believe that God would be a "passionate" consuming fire from us making idols to worship, when the word "jealous" is explicitly used.

The way this is stated in the Bible, this would mean that God envies the idols, but it would seem that if he truly loved us, he would not. It would not matter that elsewhere in the Bible it says that carving an image is a sin, because the Bible already seems to have a contradiction, which in itself contradicts 2 Timothy 3:16, which says, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."

Upvote 0

WhoIsLikeGod?

May 29, 2018
North Central Mass
✟46,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I under where you are coming from people ask this a lot about the Bible which was written over thousands of years .In the Old Testament seems harsh to modern people today.But those people where at a much lower state of mind .When a parent yells at a child do not touch that hot stove ! its because a child doesn't have the mentality where a parent can reason with them rationally yet .Same with the people in the OT who where at a much lower state of mind than we could ever imagine today.
Many people claim that God is unchanging. There are many verses that support this. Google "God is unchanging."

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the word "jealous" in Deuteronomy 4:24 means 1. to be jealous of; 2. to be envious of; 3. to be zealous for; or 4. to excite to jealous anger. I'm using Strong's Concordance. Even if you use zealous as the root, please look at the cause for which God is jealous: making idols to worship. I find it hard to believe that God would be a "passionate" consuming fire from us making idols to worship, when the word "jealous" is explicitly used.

The way this is stated in the Bible, this would mean that God envies the idols, but it would seem that if he truly loved us, he would not. It would not matter that elsewhere in the Bible it says that carving an image is a sin, because the Bible already seems to have a contradiction, which in itself contradicts 2 Timothy 3:16, which says, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."

If God didn't care about us, He would not care if we betray our souls and stumble lost into in worship of money, the body, B'aal, etc. He is "jealous", meaning He cares and wants us to return to the ultimate source of light and love -- the Truth, the Life. God is love, as you get from reading fully through many books in the scriptures.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
@Minky help me better know how to respond to your questions and responses by sharing if you are still at the ‘seeker’ stage of your religious view or a full blown Christian as defined by the Nicene creed https://www.christianforums.com/help/terms

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Creator of the universe doesn't have human emotions . His word has to flow through people who do have emotions so it can be expressed in the world.The word idol also means something that's isn't
Many people claim that God is unchanging. There are many verses that support this. Google "God is unchanging."
Then they have turned God into a idol .And broken the first and second commandments .Thou shall have no other God and not create Idols something that's dead than can be put into a mental box .Jesus told us God is a spirit that must be worshiped in spirit and truth.Spirit can never be contained by the human mind.Some people have turned Jesus into a idol that's still hanging on a cross .When he told us I' am with with you always.

Upvote 0

WhoIsLikeGod?

May 29, 2018
North Central Mass
✟46,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If God didn't care about us, He would not care if we betray our souls and stumble lost into in worship of money, the body, B'aal, etc. He is "jealous", meaning He cares and wants us to return to the ultimate source of light and love -- the Truth, the Life. God is love, as you get from reading fully through many books in the scriptures.
Then why does love not envy? If God loves us through his jealousy, then what about 1 Corinthians 13:4?

Upvote 0

WhoIsLikeGod?

May 29, 2018
North Central Mass
✟46,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Creator of the universe doesn't have human emotions . His word has to flow through people who do have emotions so it can be expressed in the world.The word idol also means something that's isn't

Then they have turned God into a idol .And broken the first and second commandments .Thou shall have no other God and not create Idols something that's dead than can be put into a mental box .Jesus told us God is a spirit that must be worshiped in spirit and truth.Spirit can never be contained by the human mind.Some people have turned Jesus into a idol that's still hanging on a cross .When he told us I' am with with you always.
The Bible doesn't say God doesn't have emotions... in fact it says quite the contrary.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then why does love not envy? If God loves us through his jealousy, then what about 1 Corinthians 13:4?
To get a more clear sense of what is meant by "jealous" in verse 24 in Deuteronomy chapter 4, try reading the whole chapter. (use the NIV, not the terribly hard to read ASV this site auto links)

Or better, read through Deuteronomy fully.

Then you'll see verses like Deuteronomy -- 12, v31. https://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/12-31.htm

That full reading will help you better understand chapter 4!

Then you'll take the intended meaning of 4:24 correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WhoIsLikeGod?

May 29, 2018
North Central Mass
✟46,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
@Minky help me better know how to respond to your questions and responses by sharing if you are still at the ‘seeker’ stage of your religious view or a full blown Christian as defined by the Nicene creed https://www.christianforums.com/help/terms
Yeah, I believe the Nicene Creed, but I'm not opposed to questioning things. If something unravels my worldview I'm not going to live in denial my whole life. I'm always seeking. I also want to have answers for those who ask me the same questions.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I believe the Nicene Creed, but I'm not opposed to questioning things. If something unravels my worldview I'm not going to live in denial my whole life. I'm always seeking. I also want to have answers for those who ask me the same questions.
Proverbs 3:5-8
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.
Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your flesh
and refreshment to your bones."

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This is good to hear. I was drawn to Christ with no fear of asking an omniscient being my miniscule questions. My advice would be don’t be overly ridged with a word that amounts to a translation. Read the verse with the over all intent inmind. My example being comparing supposed contradictions by comparing a verse using envy and another using jealous. In the case of jealous the idea trying to be shared might be closer to exclusive. Such as my wife is exclusive to me and not implying there is anything lacking in our relationship.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the case of jealous the idea trying to be shared might be closer to exclusive. Such as my wife is exclusive to me and not implying there is anything lacking in our relationship.
That is how I understand it. God isn't willing to give up His glory and worship that they should be giving Him, not some pagan idol. So He is warning them that His anger is like a consuming fire.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

WhoIsLikeGod?

May 29, 2018
North Central Mass
✟46,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Proverbs 3:5-8
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.
Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your flesh
and refreshment to your bones."
That's just as good as saying, "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1)." Since faith is rewarded in the Bible, it has been easy for many to deceive us by claiming to be of God. My belief in the Bible has come from comparing it to other religions and histories, not by blind faith. Because of the Bible's typical consistencies and fulfilled prophecies, I believe it. But I'm not sure I believe the whole thing because I haven't read the whole thing, and passages like this one from Hebrews about faith make me more skeptical.

Upvote 0