Lynchburg
✟10,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
That would have to be shown to be true.
I’ll spell out the logic then. My argument uses two approaches really. The first is the simple idea that John and Paul says non-christains are in darkness. Non-Christians are not in darkness. Therefore John and Paul are not telling the truth. If John and Paul are not telling the truth, then most of Christian teaching loses the majority of its scriptural support.

There is a second approach at work too. I’m refuting liberal Christianity and stating only conservative Christianity is consistent with scripture. Conservative Christianity, for me, is clearly false. Therefore Christanity is false.

Both of these arguments rely on personal experience of non-Christian faith that you all don’t share. I don’t share your experience of faith in Christ as a trinitarian God. I don’t expect anyone to be persuaded. I shouldn’t have tried ealier. I’m open to arguments that would prove me wrong though. I seek the truth and I seek God, not anyone’s (including mine) false imaginings.

Upvote 0

MysticMonist

Oct 27, 2017
Lynchburg
✟10,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The scriptures are NOT a PRIMER on the existential nature of God (i.e. in what manner He exists).

The scriptures present the MESSAGE of God to humanity.

This is really interesting... I don’t think you mean to say the scripture doesn’t tell us about God. The Quran says it is the message of God to mankind and carries the same message as the Torah and the Gospel. Essentially this message is worship God alone, love God, love neighbor. Mark 12:29-31. I think that is the true gospel message not John 1.
You all disagree and I acknowledge that.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ll spell out the logic then. My argument uses two approaches really. The first is the simple idea that John and Paul says non-christains are in darkness. Non-Christians are not in darkness.

Non-christians are in darkness ... regarding belief in those things that Christians believe.

This is analagous to saying that "Climate change deniers" are in darkness ... regarding belief in those things that climate change supporters believe.

Ergo, ... John and Paul's testimonies are NOT false, ... and christianity stands upon ITS OWN premises.

You don't have to believe them ... but then, of course, YOU would be in darkness regarding them.

Upvote 0

MysticMonist

Oct 27, 2017
Lynchburg
✟10,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You don't have to believe them ... but then, of course, YOU would be in darkness regarding them.

Yes. You put this well. I think I’ve made my point and we can agree to disagree. I think your Christian position is coherent and internally consistent it just doesn’t match with my experience of God and of faith.

I am still testing this though thru prayer. Because perhaps I am in darkness and/ or my reasoning is flawed. I pray that Christ will reveal His nature to me.
Any advice on how to do this?
I do plan to visit a Catholic Church and pray in front of the conscrated Host. But since you here are probably not catholic, how would you suggest I discern who Jesus is?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am still testing this though thru prayer. I pray that Christ will reveal His nature to me.

Any advice on how to do this?

I do plan to visit a Catholic Church and pray in front of the consecrated Host. But since you here are probably not catholic, how would you suggest I discern who Jesus is?

Continued prayer for revelation would be my suggestion ... plus study of the gospels (i.e. the first four writings in the New Testament ... Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) ... to discern the CHARACTER of Jesus.

Many are converted by the excellence of the CHARACTER (i.e. the LOVE, goodness, grace, compassion, etc.) of Christ initially.

As a Protestant, I wouldn't particularly suggest praying before the consecrated Host, ... as it smacks of idolatry to me.

If God is Who He claims to be,. He is available to you at ALL times, ... and in ALL places.

May He bless your journey ...

Upvote 0