United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
cweb255 said:
Why the apocrypha should be included: http://matt1618.freeyellow.com/deutero.html
Not all protestants deny the Apocrypha. However, they just aren't certain about some of the things written. They do know that stories in it may be quite truthful and look upon the apocrypha as a good thing for Christian edification, but aren't certain about some of the stories that have a tendency to go towards the Jewish fiction of those days.

Stein Auf!
Bridget

Upvote 0

Andyman_1970

Trying to walk in His dust...............
Feb 2, 2004
The Natural State
Visit site
✟12,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From what I understand these books are not included in the Jewish cannon (the Tanak) - so I would ask why would they be included in our cannon as Christianity is one of only two surviving sects of Judaism from the 1st century.

Upvote 0

Momzilla

Gettin' that old time religion!
Feb 12, 2004
Greenville, SC
✟16,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Andyman, the deuterocanonical texts are found in the Septuagint, the first translation of the Hebrew Bible into Greek. One argument in favor of the d.c. texts is that the Septuagint, which was begun in roughly 250 B.C., is a more complete canon than the Tanak, which was assembled in the Christian era and was influenced by anti-Christian sentiment. IOW, because the d.c. texts were more "christian" in nature, they were deliberately excluded from the Tanak.

Upvote 0

Andyman_1970

Trying to walk in His dust...............
Feb 2, 2004
The Natural State
Visit site
✟12,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Momzilla said:
Andyman, the deuterocanonical texts are found in the Septuagint, the first translation of the Hebrew Bible into Greek. One argument in favor of the d.c. texts is that the Septuagint, which was begun in roughly 250 B.C., is a more complete canon than the Tanak, which was assembled in the Christian era and was influenced by anti-Christian sentiment. IOW, because the d.c. texts were more "christian" in nature, they were deliberately excluded from the Tanak.

Cool I didn't know that, thanks................. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

fuzzyh

Jun 26, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟8,456.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Much of the early church used the Apocrypha. I don't have my church history information with me right now, but it seems to be around the 1900s when the Apocrypha wasn't included in the Bible. It wasn't however considered canonical.

I have no problem studying to Apocrypha for history and tradition. If something in the apocrypha doesn't line up with the canonical Scripture than that book is wrong. Of course that's just my fundamentalist opinion.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.