Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have always been under the impression that the apocrypha is part of the Catholic Bible. I am interested in reading some of the apocrypha, including the book of Enoch, but I don’t know where to find a good translation. Is there an app that has one? Does it come in a contemporary English translation, or is it all KJV? I’m sorry, I really don’t know anything about this. Any guidance is much appreciated!

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Enoch would not be in the Catholic Bible, but Wisdom, Maccabees, and others would be. If you want a good Catholic Bible app, there's a pretty good looking app in the Apple market called Laudate. I don't have it yet, but it looks pretty comprehensive.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have always been under the impression that the apocrypha is part of the Catholic Bible. I am interested in reading some of the apocrypha, including the book of Enoch, but I don’t know where to find a good translation. Is there an app that has one? Does it come in a contemporary English translation, or is it all KJV? I’m sorry, I really don’t know anything about this. Any guidance is much appreciated!
There seem to be links for Bible with Apocrypha apps on www.bible.com. They have a KJVA with Apocrypha app that can be downloaded. They may have other versions too. Peace in Christ:).

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Also interesting is the Apocrypha was in the original KJV :)

Upvote 0

iEye

Captain
Feb 7, 2018
the Southwest
✟1,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
19 This is a copy of the letter that they sent to Onias: 20 “King Arius of the Spartans, to the high priest Onias, greetings. 21 It has been found in writing concerning the Spartans and the Jews that they are brothers and are of the family of Abraham. 22 And now that we have learned this, please write us concerning your welfare; 23 we on our part write to you that your livestock and your property belong to us, and ours belong to you. We therefore command that our envoys report to you accordingly.” (NRSV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Although not an app, the books you seek are available online in the RSV translation here: The Holy Bible. RSVCE

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Catholic Bible: Douay-Rheims Bible Online, Verses Search.

The Douay Rheims translation came out around the same time as the KJV and the language was updated in the 1800’s a bit
Enoch is not in here but there are two extra chapters to Daniel

Also I would recommend Tobit
Nice seeing you again buddy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is it appropriate to ask here why the apocrypha was taken out of the Protestant Bible?

Sure
Well for one those books were seen by many as of lesser importance, and there was debate as to if it should be counted at all
But the same is true for Revelation and a few other books, there were no “easy cannons” that just everyone agreed on

These books were also originally written in Greek by Jews in exile
After Christianity started to spread among the Gentiles the Jews got more strict about Greek influences in Judaism so they got rid of those books

Latter on some Protestant leaders did not like some of the teachings found in those books and used modern Jewish rejection of those books as justification for getting rid of them

The Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible is called the Septuagint, when Greek New Testament writers quoted the OT they used that translation
The Septuagint has those books in it

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0