Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Making fun of a petite young woman who has been targeted and threatened online for ‘over reaction’ after a traumatic event is bully-like behavior.

A little over dramatic are we? Who is making fun of her? No one in the links I have provided is threatening her nor targeting her for her over reaction DAYS LATER. They are asking her to be accountable.

[STAFF EDITED DELETED QUOTE]

I served honorably - have you? If you have, thank you for your service - if you have not - I would politly as possible ask you to back off using vets as your talking point. You have no clue as to what you are talking about and it is unmannerly.

I relive the two live fire incidents on a consistent basis. I remember the sight, sound and smells, so please just back off. Stop using VETS as your poster children for political points. It is almost as bad as when people use the 'little brown people' tag to stress some type of point.

This little brown man picked up a weapon and spent four years three months defending this country, until you can say you have done the same, you have zero place to use me and my brothers and sisters as a talking point.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
AOC called out for claim she was ‘nearly assassinated’ during Capitol siege; she hits back saying ‘it was actually worse’ - Breaking911

According to an Instagram video posted by Ocasio-Cortez just days after the siege, she stated that she was in her office when the U.S. Capitol building was stormed. She also claimed that rioters had entered her office, according to Newsweek.​

It is hard to be in danger when you were not even in the building being assaulted.

View attachment 294498

Newsweek corrected their error.
Ocasio-Cortez didn’t lie about location during Capitol riot

Some of the viral posts accusing Ocasio-Cortez of lying referred to a now-corrected Newsweek article that originally included the false claim that she spoke of rioters breaking into her office.

The actual Newsweek article:​
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez hid in bathroom during Capitol riot and thought she was going to die

Correction (02/03/2021, 4:08 p.m.): A previous version of this story stated that Ocasio-Cortez's office was entered by rioters. Ocasio-Cortez's office was actually entered by a Capitol police officer that did not identify himself. Newsweek regrets the error.

Now please show me where AOC claimed that rioters entered her office.

Viral right wing posts going after AOC is par or the course since she ran for office. She has received lots of death threats and her staff does risk assessments on those coming to see her.
This guy was not acting in an out of the blue way:

Capitol rioter Garret Miller says he was following Trump's orders, apologizes to AOC for threat

Garret Miller also apologized to Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., for writing “Assassinate AOC” in a Twitter post. He said he would be willing to testify to Congress or in a trial about the riot.

Miller, 34, had on a social media account also threatened a Capitol Police officer who fatally shot a fellow rioter, saying he planned to “hug his neck with a nice rope,” authorities have said.

The Richardson resident’s apology came as a federal judge in Dallas ordered him detained without bail pending trial, after finding he was both a danger to the community and a flight risk, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Texas.
I don't think it is productive to try and shame anyone with PTSD. Nor criticize her for being upset about the riot or the threats.

• Winner
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it is productive to try and shame anyone with PTSD. Nor criticize her for being upset about the riot or the threats.

First, when was she diagnosed with PTSD? If she hasn’t, please stop using it.

Second, I personally don’t have an issue with someone being upset, she has every right to be. what she does not have the right to do is embellish it and over dramatize it for political gain.

Lastly, I am not the one saying this, if you have an issue with it. Speak with the people who are calling her out. Now, who would that be?

Oh look it is people who went through the same event.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
First, when was she diagnosed with PTSD? If she hasn’t, please stop using it.

That doesn't matter. She may have it. It is unproductive and ridiculous, imho, to attack her for being upset about the riot. Even Rep. Nancy Mace barricaded herself in her office and when asked to move by Capitol police, texted it was because of a nearby threat.
And she wants to carry a gun now:

'I will not be put in that situation again': Rep. Nancy Mace intends to carry a gun on Capitol Hill if allowed

Mace said during the riot at the Capitol she felt defenseless.

"I felt personally like a sitting duck," Mace said.

Locked doors, shades drawn and sitting inside a dark room inside the U.S. Capitol. That's how Mace described what happened as thousands of people breached the building in the heart of Washington — sending lawmakers into lockdown.

"The only line of defense we had between the violet mob and members of congress were the Capitol Hill Police. It was clear they were overrun: There were thousands of people trying to overrun the capital," Mace said.

Second, I personally don’t have an issue with someone being upset, she has every right to be. what she does not have the right to do is embellish it and over dramatize it for political gain.

She has the right to free speech like the right wing media sources misrepresenting her. I have more respect for her than the media that basically lies about her when they can

Lastly, I am not the one saying this, if you have an issue with it. Speak with the people who are calling her out. Now, who would that be?

Apparently your posts in this thread.

Oh look it is people who went through the same event.
Yep, Rep. Mace wants to carry a gun. Lindsey Graham was pretty upset that night. Quite a few were really disturbed by the whole thing. Each expresses in their own way.

• Winner
Reactions: GodLovesCats
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That doesn't matter. She may have it. It is unproductive and ridiculous, imho, to attack her for being upset about the riot.

It ABSOLUTELY does matter - a person cannot be defended for their actions because of PTSD if they dont have PTSD -

For the third time, and I hope you can hear me this time. It is insulting, offensive and rude to those who suffer from it to claim someone's action on PTSD who is not diagnosed with it. It belittles them. Now you may not care if it does, and that is your choice, but speaking as one who served, I have to tell you it is unmannerly and very offensive to do so. Now that I have expressed it four times, I would hope and pray you have the compassion to use a different term.

For the second time to you. no one that I have linked or referred to has attacked her in any form or fashion. Holding someone in an authority position accountable for what they say is speaking truth to power.

Even Rep. Nancy Mace barricaded herself in her office and when asked to move by Capitol police, texted it was because of a nearby threat.
And she wants to carry a gun now:

Interesting you brought her up.

Nancy Mace and AOC feud on Twitter over Capitol riot experiences: 'Insurrectionists weren’t in our hallways'

Rep. Nancy Mace and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traded barbs on social media after Mace disputed the “Squad” member’s retelling of her experience during the Capitol riots last month.

“Hold up,” Mace wrote Thursday morning. “You seem to be triggered by facts so let me be clear: I have not ONCE discounted your experience. It was harrowing for all of us.”

“FACT: Insurrectionists weren’t in our hallways. It’s your eagerness to politicize absolutely ANYTHING that deserves condemnation.”​

You might want to re think your defense. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It ABSOLUTELY does matter - a person cannot be defended for their actions because of PTSD if they dont have PTSD -

For the third time, and I hope you can hear me this time. It is insulting, offensive and rude to those who suffer from it to claim someone's action on PTSD who is not diagnosed with it. It belittles them. Now you may not care if it does, and that is your choice, but speaking as one who served, I have to tell you it is unmannerly and very offensive to do so. Now that I have expressed it four times, should you continue to use the term, I will no longer respond to a single post you make as my statement of disgust for your actions towards my brother and sister who do suffer from PTSD.

Editing this to tone it down.
Mocking someone for being scared at the riot after there have been a few years of death threats against her and being targeted by Trump supporters is as bad as mocking someone for having PTSD.

For the second time to you. no one that I have linked or referred to has attacked her in any form or fashion. Holding someone in an authority position accountable for what they say is speaking truth to power.
Yet she has been targeted repeatedly by the right, just like with this viral stuff. And she is misrepresented.

Interesting you brought her up.

Nancy Mace and AOC feud on Twitter over Capitol riot experiences: 'Insurrectionists weren’t in our hallways'

Rep. Nancy Mace and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez traded barbs on social media after Mace disputed the “Squad” member’s retelling of her experience during the Capitol riots last month.

“Hold up,” Mace wrote Thursday morning. “You seem to be triggered by facts so let me be clear: I have not ONCE discounted your experience. It was harrowing for all of us.”

“FACT: Insurrectionists weren’t in our hallways. It’s your eagerness to politicize absolutely ANYTHING that deserves condemnation.”​
You might want to re think your defense. Just a thought.

And again, the claim that AOC said they were in the halls right outside her office or in her office are untrue.

I posted Newsweek's correction. Here it is again:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez hid in bathroom during Capitol riot and thought she was going to die

Correction (02/03/2021, 4:08 p.m.): A previous version of this story stated that Ocasio-Cortez's office was entered by rioters. Ocasio-Cortez's office was actually entered by a Capitol police officer that did not identify himself. Newsweek regrets the error.

Your OP with this this wrong:

Screenshot 2021-02-06 at 2.54.30 PM.png

Please show an actual quote by her saying they entered her office as Newsweek corrected itself.

She was also in the Capitol complex and as the Capitol police wanted to move her, and Mace, because of nearby threat. Mace is being a bit hypocritical. Now she wants to carry a gun.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez calls GOP Rep. Nancy Mace 'cynical' and 'disgusting' for accusing her of lying about the Capitol insurrection
Screenshot 2021-02-06 at 3.09.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-02-06 at 3.09.25 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-02-06 at 3.09.50 PM.png

So did Mace spend the night barricaded in or evacuate her office due to the nearby threat? Either way, it is good that she is safe now.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mocking someone for being scared at the riot after there have been a few years of death threats against her and being targeted by Trump supporters is as bad as mocking someone for having PTSD.

No one that I linked to or referred to including Rep Mace is mocking her for being scared.

Being scared is not an excuse for the two hour diatribe filled with inaccuracies.

Being scared is not an excuse for accusing a sitting member of Congress of attempting to have you murdered.

Being scared is normal - expressing that is normal - what is out of the norm, and what is being pointed out by a whole lot of people, including Rep Mace are the exaggerations. I personally cannot just summarily dismiss a number of members of Congress voicing their objections to another member and play the victim card for her. Especially since this is not the first time she brought things well into the melodramatic to make a political stance.

I'm not going to banter this back and forth - believe what you will, that is OK.

I will do the same.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No one that I linked to or referred to including Rep Mace is mocking her for being scared.

Being scared is not an excuse for the two hour diatribe filled with inaccuracies.

It was 90 minutes. And not filled with inaccuracies. I provided articles showing that she did not claim some of the things the right wing blogosphere has claimed. Newsweek corrected its article and which you used in the OP.

Being scared is not an excuse for accusing a sitting member of Congress of attempting to have you murdered.

That is out of the blue. AOC did not do that though one wonders why some of the Republicans gave tours of the Capitol the day before to those who ended up rioting. Rep. Green did like a post mentioning that Pelosi needed a bullet.

Being scared is normal - expressing that is normal - what is out of the norm, and what is being pointed out by a whole lot of people, including Rep Mace are the exaggerations. I personally cannot just summarily dismiss a number of members of Congress voicing their objections to another member and play the victim card for her. Especially since this is not the first time she brought things well into the melodramatic to make a political stance.

It would help if those objections have merit.

I suspect you will defend Rep. Green though there are many who have objections to her.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suspect you will defend Rep. Green though there are many who have objections to her.

You suspect wrongly.

I submit you have more of an issue with me personally, because of your personal jabs instead of the actual topic of the thread.

We disagree. My stance is no more invalid than yours.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am glad to hear that about Rep. Green.

I don't find your stance valid when Newsweek corrected the story to remove the claim about AOC saying there were rioters in her office.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
F623BA36-C5C1-43E3-8786-A7224D4C8B5B.jpeg
I provided articles showing that she did not claim some of the things the right wing blogosphere has claimed. Newsweek corrected its article and which you used in the OP.

I also provided links showing it was her own contemporaries holding her accountable for her words.

she has a very public and prolific habit of over dramatic responses. Like calling out a fellow member Congress for attempted murder

Twitter silent as AOC accuses Ted Cruz of attempted 'murder' on its platform

Holding politicians accountable for their words is NOT and attack, it is not abuse, it is speaking truth to power.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I served honorably - have you? If you have, thank you for your service - if you have not - I would politly as possible ask you to back off using vets as your talking point. You have no clue as to what you are talking about and it is unmannerly.
I do know quite a bit about PTSD, and about Vets with PTSD. Whether or not you or I served in the military is irrelevant here and a weak attempt to shut a debate down.
A little over dramatic are we?
By noting that she’s a petite woman? Are you unaware of how that plays a role in women"s fears when being stalked or threatened? How many times the size and power difference crosses our minds when we know men want to hurt us? Calling me over dramatic is gaslighting.
They are asking her to be accountable.
Accountable for what? You haven’t made any kind of case that she was being dishonest. You just don’t like her and you are participating with other people in denigrating her over a traumatic event. You are minimizing the trauma, and saying you don’t believe her.

I relive the two live fire incidents on a consistent basis. I remember the sight, sound and smells, so please just back off. Stop using VETS as your poster children for political points. It is almost as bad as when people use the 'little brown people' tag to stress some type of point.
And yet, you are saying that she’s being overly dramatic to still be shaken days later? PTSD isn’t "rational," but it’s REAL. Your accusations have flopped, Newsweek (one of your sources) made a retraction, you’ve ignored evidence showing she didn’t lie or exaggerate and now you’re just left with a accusing me of disrespecting veterans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
https://www.foxnews.com/us/aoc-faces-backlash-from-gop-rep-nancy-mace-others-over-capitol-claims

The controversy erupted after Ocasio-Cortez posted a video in which she described a confrontation with Capitol Police at her office, which is located not in the Capitol itself but in the Cannon Building, elsewhere in the Capitol complex.
AOC questions if Capitol Police officer tried to put her in a 'vulnerable situation'
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc-capitol-police-officer-vulnerable-situation
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wondered aloud Monday whether a Capitol Police officer who barged into her office to direct her to a safe location during the Jan. 6 riot was actually trying to protect her or not.
The police being questioned is another over dramatic response.

D1E17875-77DE-453D-B9B0-D10610A690A7.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I have pointed out that your OP was in error regarding the Newsweek claim, don't see any recognizing of that fact.

The above tweet is over the top, but there was a threat, and there are folks like Sen. Hawley and Sen. Cruz and others who talked up voter fraud and questioned the election that really needs looked into.
AOC has been targeted by the right and her peers on the right in particular, and there have been death threats since she was elected, and she is probably over sensitive. Not enough to be 'called out' for.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The whole point of protesting is to make ppl uncomfortable. Activists take that discomfort w/ the status quo & advocate for concrete policy changes. Popular support often starts small & grows. To folks who complain protest demands make others uncomfortable... that’s the point.
That's fine - so long as the law is not broken. One CANNOT block roads, taking hostages, who can't move to get to work or to their kids or to the hospital.

Here, the story is about AOC though, and she was across the street, not at the actual site of where the criminals broke in.

All criminals must be treated alike. We cant' have one standard for the afternoon event of January 6, and a different standard for the rioting of 8-9 months last year. Criminal activity is criminal activity. Arrest them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.