Anyone think Genealogy is very important? (+my background)

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am suprise how many christians aren't into genealogy. Many have siad they think they might be scared of the what they find out or it might effect their religion.

I personally loved it. As a teen I traced my families roots. My did is italian and my mother is mixed from all around the world. We found out alot of my uncles (dads side) were part of the Mafia, one of the uncles who more or less was higgher ranked met Al Capone. On my moms side they were part of the russian mafia and her current cousin is still considered a russian mafia princess, although shes much older now lol.

Aside from the mafia stuff we found out we were connected to alot of famous people and even some royalty in Scotland I believe! My dads side was tracked back to some small town in Italy and we found out he has family in a few countries. My mom does too. Her great grandfather was a Silversmith in a small town near New Castle I believe.

The part my momed loved the most was that she found out that Cecil B Demille was related really closely. My favotire part was finding out Nicholas Cage is very much related. Hes like my 5th generation uncle...cousin or something. Maybe he give me a some a few bucks! LOL ^_^

BlandOatmeal

Jan 13, 2006
Oregon, ИSA
✟2,769.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Freakazoid,

I share your enthusiasm for genealogy. Until someone realizes that certain historical figures were actually their ancestors, they have little appreciation of the people and issues that formed the societies they lived in.

I was talking last year with a Chinese man in Hong Kong, who studies mass psychology as part of his job. He noted that the "Baby Boomer" generation (people born in the decades immediately following the end of WWII) have a great cultural base in common, because they all watched the same TV shows. The generations born after that have no such common base. Genealogy gives people a common base that cannot be changed, and that connects them literally to millions of people. A large percentage of Americans, for example, are related through Edward II to President Obama, whether they realize this or not.

Powerful forces are at work, to discourage people from pursuing knowledge of their family background. The Fourth Estate, for example has a vested interest in pooh-poohing genealogy. Presidential candidate Mitt Romney came under sharp criticism recently, because someone in his staff reportedly said the US and Britain share a common "Anglo-Saxon" heritage. This criticism reflected the brain death of today's media. The US, of course, began its history as English colonies, which, of course, trace their own history to the Angles and Saxons. Our language is the language of the Angles and Saxons, not of the Rainbownians. Our legal system is based on Anglo-Saxon Common Law, and the GENEALOGY of the vast majority of Americans (including "Afro-American" Barack Obama) contains the same Anglo-Saxon roots. The press corps is not just ignorant of these realities; it is so brainwashed by its own intentional befuddlement that it condemns people (such as that purported Romney aide) for uttering a peep that reflects the truth.

The media are in the business of generating a false reality, to advance their own agenda. To them, shaping people's concepts of reality translates immediately into dollars and cents (This is called "advertizing"). Genealogy, on the other hand, generates a concept of reality that is unchangeable, fixed in ancient records. It is unwanted competition. To the powers that be, who use the media to their own advantage, it is better to have a generation that finds its identity in Mickey Mouse and the Beatles, than one that identifies with the likes of William Brewster, John Adams and Abraham Lincoln.

Upvote 0

lillivanilli

May the schwartz be with you.
Dec 5, 2011
✟8,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love genealogy too. I have done extensive genealogies on both sides of my family and I have quite a vast mixture of nationalities. I always assumed I was western Euopean/Scandinavian but I found out I also have Croatian ancestors, from the little island of Solta. How cool is that! So far there's been nobody famous (or infamous lol) but I am right now digging into the family line that goes back to the 1600's in various parts of France. I just wish I understood French, it would make it so much easier to look through these records!

Upvote 0

Yoseft

Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
United States
✟11,811.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I love genealogy too. I have done extensive genealogies on both sides of my family and I have quite a vast mixture of nationalities. I always assumed I was western Euopean/Scandinavian but I found out I also have Croatian ancestors, from the little island of Solta. How cool is that! So far there's been nobody famous (or infamous lol) but I am right now digging into the family line that goes back to the 1600's in various parts of France. I just wish I understood French, it would make it so much easier to look through these records!

I also did this to affirm handed down information.

The results were very interesting.

Upvote 0

Kurama

Believe in Humanity
Mar 25, 2013
✟17,730.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Not sure how genealogy could ever affect our religion. Christianity teaches us that ultimately there is only one race (the human race), and that we are all created equally under God. Genealogy is really fun to find out about, but ultimately we shouldn't be too proud about our heritage...since we are all children of God.

-Mixed race Christian

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Yoseft

Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
United States
✟11,811.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Not sure how genealogy could ever affect our religion. Christianity teaches us that ultimately there is only one race (the human race), and that we are all created equally under God. Genealogy is really fun to find out about, but ultimately we shouldn't be too proud about our heritage...since we are all children of God.

-Mixed race Christian
Very True about being too proud. We had nothing do with it, but HIM, the Father, created us. Glory to Him.:clap:

Upvote 0

Kurama

Believe in Humanity
Mar 25, 2013
✟17,730.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Very True about being too proud. We had nothing do with it, but HIM, the Father, created us. Glory to Him.:clap:

Pride is, after all, one of the seven deadly sins.

Those racial supremacists who exploit Christianity to push their own agenda are condemning themselves...may God have mercy on their souls.

Upvote 0

Fangtastic

plays with logs
Feb 7, 2005
Atomic Space Someplace
✟9,950.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I did mine. We are having a lot of brain-mental breakdowns on both sides. I needed to know if we are just bat s- crazy or if there is some type of inner breeding going on. DNA testing through genetic corp is where you will get what you need to pin things down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums