Anyone seen this movie on St. Augustine?

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I look forward to seeing that movie, but unfortunately, I have not studied on Augustine very much.

He seemed to be quite a controversial person, [esp. when it came to Matt 16 concerning Peter and the Rock]. The more I read of him, the more he is starting to intrigue me.
What is the majority opinion of Catholics concerning him? Thanks
Here are a few links that I found on CF......

Did Augustine retraction concerning Peter and the Rock?
Did Augustine retraction concerning Peter and the Rock?

St. Augustines "The Retractions"

"Augustine explains that his view that Peter is the rock of Matthew 16 was later replaced by the view that Christ is the rock. Notice that he refers to his former view being *replaced*, not just adding a second interpretation to it.
He says that the reader can decide for himself which interpretation is more likely. He expects the reader to choose between the two, not accept both.
Thus, Augustine advocated the *rejection* of the view that Peter is the rock, and he said that others could do the same, here it is...

............... But 'the rock was Christ,' in confessing whom, as also the whole Church confesses, Simon was called Peter. But let the reader decide which of these two opinions is the more probable." (The Retractions, 1:20:1)........................"

I have read in varying Orthodox writing that St. Augustines "The Retractions" have stated that he had given too much creedence to Peter as a "rock". This statement gives depth to the Orthodox teaching of equallity amongst all apostles...thus equallity amongt Bishops.
Yet, The Catholic church utilizes St. Augustine in it's own quest for supreme rulership.
How can this be?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Augustine was ahead of his time. He valued psychology and self-examination. Do we truly understand ourselves when we sin? He made himself the guinea pig and by exploring the mystery of himself, he partly explored the mystery of God. Not in a narcissistic way but in a way which gave him insight into the nature of sin and human motivation in general. Bonaventure owed a lot to this great doctor of our Church and so do we.
Thomas Merton and others must've been fascinated by this guy too. Augustine was very human and gave into sins of the flesh and vanity via secular ambition, in the first half of his life. But the second half of his life is such a contrast. Merton had some sins he was ashamed of too.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Just finished watching the whole 3 hours and 16 minutes. It was worth it. So much depth and a real learning experience.
Next I need to read City of God and I might research on Bishop Ambrose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it about ten years old? I saw one on the big screen then. It probably wasn't out that long, but our church rented out the theater,on a Saturday morning for a fundraiser. We really enjoyed it. It inspired me to read the Confessions. He had such a beautiful eloquent sryle. I was mesmerized.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This is the movie I saw.

I'm going to see whether it's streaming anywhere now. No, it's not, but you can buy it at Amazon for sixteen bucks.
Its the same movie Fantine ,"Restless Heart"
You cant view it here from my OP on this thread?
I can view it for free from YouTube.
it really is excellent. I have to be honest, the women in the movie are all beautiful even his mother! :) Should I say especially his mother. So strong in her faith. So devout!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Fr. James Martin also posted this "America" article on FB. It's pretty interesting.

How Augustine's Confessions and left politics inspired my conversion to Catholicism

Thanks for the great link. here's an extract:
"Instead of leaving a single conscience to the knotty business of making sense of ancient texts, the tradition offers Christians a chorus of helpful coreligionists passing down insight over time. An individual’s conscience plays a role, of course, in her own interpretation of the tradition; but the weight of time and expertise are instructive, and they whisper through space and centuries that you are not alone."

I think Tad would just love that quote too! :)
The problem with some books in the Bible is I cant fully identify with the authors even though they are HS inspired. Augustine's got intellect but he is so passionate, its an easy read. An enjoyable read. its hardly ever dry, which I love. If I compare to Aquinas. I don't have the patience or intellectual capacity for Aquinas. He may be brilliant but how much does he go over people's heads? I think Augustine';s advantage is that he gives a great testimony. His life is used as the canvas for his insights.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0