✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ah, yes, but not as bad as NY. Right?

A lot of our friends are from NJ and shoot. Check out some of the online shooting forums, as many NJ shooters hang out on a few particular ones and you may be able to get together with some at the local ranges if they are close by.

If anyone wants links to some great gun forums (that I am not affiliated with other then being a member... not even staff at) pm me.

NJ has some strictor rules related especially to carrying concealed but I think NY is tougher in general for those in this hobby. Yet, there are lots of people who shoot competitively or for a hobby in every state... even California where it is I think as tough as NY at least.

Upvote 0

MetalDave

Happily married to SabrinaFair!!!
Aug 13, 2006
By Sabrina's side
✟8,280.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It is great to see women interested in the shooting sports!

My wife is my favorite shooting buddy! She has a couple Taurus handguns that she likes because they fit her hands. Okay, and they are cool looking! :cool:

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is great to see women interested in the shooting sports!

My wife is my favorite shooting buddy! She has a couple Taurus handguns that she likes because they fit her hands. Okay, and they are cool looking! :cool:

Have her check out the new MP9s. They come with changable back thingy that make the grip different sizes. I rented a Tauraus .380 and liked it but didn't like the ammo costs.

Upvote 0

Conspiracy Theory

I'm your huckleberry.
Nov 12, 2003
In a s00per sekret nukular bunkar!111!one!!!
✟14,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Probably the best rifle you can get for the money is one of the old Yugoslavian Mausers.

I have a pair of the 24/47's, and they're more accurate than I am. With some sort of Milsurp ammo (Romanian, I think), I shot some 1 inch groups at 100 yards with one, and I used the iron sights.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That is some good shooting endgame.

Have you considered doing any competitions?

I have also heard postive reviews on the Yugo Mausers. I think I will get a carbine next before I get a rifle. At some point I would like to do three gun competitions. The Musers is high on my list for a rifle. The concern I have is the cost of ammo. I will buy a gun on the ammo cost to use it over its accuracy at this point due to budget issues. I don't recall what the Mauser uses.

For a combine I am nearly sold on getting an AK 15.

But I am not letting myself get a combine until I have gotten better at my handgun. I want to focus on learning one gun at a time.

Upvote 0

Conspiracy Theory

I'm your huckleberry.
Nov 12, 2003
In a s00per sekret nukular bunkar!111!one!!!
✟14,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Mausers use this.

I paid around $130 for my Yugos. They're well worth it. The only problem is they've been stored in cosmoline for 50 years or so.

Another great milsurp rifle is the K-31.
I paid $100 or so for mine, so they've jumped in price.

Upvote 0

MetalDave

Happily married to SabrinaFair!!!
Aug 13, 2006
By Sabrina's side
✟8,280.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Classic Arms has Yugo mausers, K98 mausers, and lots of Russian Mosin-Nagants, in both rifle and carbine length. And they are a Christian site!
1 inch groups at 100 yards with iron sights and Romy milsurp? Outstanding!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
best shootin rifle I ever owned was a sporterized Springfield M1903A3 30/06. couldnt miss if I was blindfolded and shooting backwards hopping on one leg. well, slight exageration - I might miss the X ring maybe doing all that but....:sorry:

also had an issue M1903 Springfield but didnt shoot that one much. sold it.

as far as Mausers - all I ever been told by friends into converting was to get the large ring barrelled actions, then build from there. had a friend that had a 8mm he sporterized - made for a good deer rifle.

Upvote 0

Sawtooth

Nov 21, 2007
✟15,158.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been shooting as a hobby for 12 years now...

Never grew up hunting or shooting...a friend introduced me to it...after I questioned his purchase of an AR15 "assault rifle"...

So I was 22 at the time...and he took me out to shoot it... I was hooked after I shot it...A few months later, I had one.

Then I took up hunting at age 26..after a friend took me out.

I am the black sheep of the family, my parents call me a "redneck"...but I will tell you that is total mischaracterization of the shooting sports.

People from all walks of life own guns for proctection, hunting, competetion, etc. Doctors, lawyers, construction workers, housewives, etc. The majority of the people that I have met are good folks.

It is a very diverse sport too...not everyone has the same taste in guns. Not everyone competes in matches, not everyone hunts.

But if you want to try it out...their are usually people out their...or clubs that are more than hapy to bring a new shooter into the fold.

I have competed in:
High power rifle
CMP M1 matches
Trap and skeet
Bowling pin pistol

I also am an Idaho hunter education instructor.

I collect and shoot them all..black powder, military surplus, pistols, revolvers, and have the occasional lever gun fetish.

If their is a heavan on earth for gunowners, it is Idaho. Best gun laws in the nation, tons of places to shoot, and more gun dealers and manufacturers in Boise than you can shake a stick at. I love it :)

Upvote 0

Sawtooth

Nov 21, 2007
✟15,158.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If anyone wants links to some great gun forums (that I am not affiliated with other then being a member... not even staff at) pm me.

NJ has some strictor rules related especially to carrying concealed but I think NY is tougher in general for those in this hobby. Yet, there are lots of people who shoot competitively or for a hobby in every state... even California where it is I think as tough as NY at least.

NJ is where I learned to shoot...
Lived their for 12 years...can't say I really miss it.

It's not the easiest state to get started shooting in but...

Their are some forums out their that can hook you up with some NJ shooters and gun clubs to get you into the sport.

Easiest way to try it out is to cross the river into Pensylvania... and visit an indoor range that rents guns. IIRC their are a few around the Philadelphia area.
An indoor range will give you a taste of it...

I personally hate indoor ranges, as I prefer to shoot outdoors at longer ranges though.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I prefer a quiet outdoor range myself. Not so much because I want more distance, but because I like to practice shooting from drawing my gun and also shooting with the reset on the trigger in a fast group of three.

I am lucky that I have someone who belongs to a private club with a range and we are both free during the day when no one else is around.

After shooting like this I find the indoor ranges to be too restrictive. I might like them come the worse of the winter but honestly, the hour long drive in bad winter weather would keep me away from them anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MagnumMike

Mar 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a big shooting enthusiast. I have 9 rifles, one shotgun, and 4 handguns, and I load/reload my own ammo.

My handguns are:
Ruger P89 9mm
Colt M1911 .45 ACP
Smith & Wesson 686 stainless steel, .357 magnum
Ruger Redhawk, .44 magnum

Semi-automatic Rifles:
Colt AR-15 .223 Remington
Century Arms AK-47 7.62x39 mm
Springfield M1-A .308 Winchester

Bolt Action rifles:
Refurbished German Mauser 22-250 Remington target rifle
Remington 700 BDL 6mm Remington
Savage 110E 25-06 Remington target rifle
Ruger M77 .280V Remington target rifle
Ruger M77S .308 Winchester target rifle
Ruger .300 M77-II .300 Winchester magnum

And 1 Remgington model 870 pump action shotgun.

I enjoy shooting paper targets, and I was an avid hunter up until 7 years ago, it's getting a little tough to get drawn in your favorite area in Arizona, that's why I stopped putting in for the drawing.

Upvote 0

RedNoma

Apr 2, 2008
Kentucky
✟7,753.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm pretty big into shooting. I guess I got that from my dad, being in the Corps. and all. I used to hunt a lot, but our farm doesn't have much woods and our old location isn't being hunted anymore.

My personal firearms are.....
Ruger 10/22 stainless 22LR
Mossberg M500 12 gauge
Remington Model 40 Mohawk 12 gauge (made in 70's g-pa gave it to me)
Marlin 30AW 30/30
Browning A-Bolt II Hunters .308
AR-15 (Stag A2 lower, Rock River Arms 24" varmint upper)

Upvote 0