Anyone have any decent recipes for Yoders canned meats?

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 298635 View attachment 298636 View attachment 298636

Have you considered using fermentation to carbonate your fav fruit drinks to make natural soda? Can find ebooks (library and free) or from watching you tube videos. My first batch of "homestead wine" was from tangerines from my yard about to get thrown away which turned out ok. Used plastic water bottles and it started off as a joke. Then I bought some basic equipment and now wanting to get this skillset in the bag of tricks. I mention this because you can stop the fermentation process early to end with carbonated fruit juice. I tried it. Is very good. Second pic is fruit wine from frozen blueberrys, a 3 berry mix and passion orange concentrate with raisins. Think all would make a tasty soda. View attachment 298635

Yes I have tried that before but I dont prefer it to be honest with you. I also tried something simpler with water kefir grains for the same effect. Problem was I really couldnt get the grains to perform with the same bubbly staying power they had at their beginning, for some reason, its like they would fizz out (even while reproducing like crazy). I had to be doing something wrong. Anyway, I am also on a keto diet and I was always a little worried some of the sugar would survive fermentation and that it would be just enough to effect the diet negatively. So for me, I would really prefer to get one of those tanks, and one tank could last me more then a year (would be nice). I remember the days you could get them more easily, now they have these mini ones that go with these soda streams but the mini ones cost a fortune for nothing and its alot more of small exchanges rather than one larger one a year. I also dont want another gadget, but the one large tank would be fine. They use them at restaurants, so I should look into it futher,

I just really like sparkling water, and was looking for ways to reproduce what I like and I have experimented with various forms of fermentation but never really got what I was looking for (or prefer).

• Agree
Reactions: Tobyjoe
Upvote 0

Tobyjoe

Sep 24, 2020
usa
✟78,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yup, my son has a unit that uses 12 gram beverage grade cartridges and its expensive; not for me. He likes it though. Have you tried wine yeast? My first batch was with what I had; bread yeast. Results had a smell to it but still palatable. Is for the "hard times" anyway right? Champagne yeast is recommended for soda. I'm trying an assortment of wine yeast now and it does make a difference but I can't describe it. The carbonation of the small batch of soda I made lasted for a day once opened. Was flat the next day. I used white wine yeast. I do use a lot of sugar. All sodas would be a treat for me like a greasy burger/French fry/large coke combo; not often lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yup, my son has a unit that uses 12 gram beverage grade cartridges and its expensive; not for me. He likes it though. Have you tried wine yeast? My first batch was with what I had; bread yeast. Results had a smell to it but still palatable. Is for the "hard times" anyway right? Champagne yeast is recommended for soda. I'm trying an assortment of wine yeast now and it does make a difference but I can't describe it. The carbonation of the small batch of soda I made lasted for a day once opened. Was flat the next day. I used white wine yeast. I do use a lot of sugar. All sodas would be a treat for me like a greasy burger/French fry/large coke combo; not often lol.

Yes, tried both, and both are just not for me, but you are right the champagne yeast was better then the first one.

Oh well, no super bubbly sparkling water for me, I cant have everything right? ^_^

Not a commercial soda fan, I make some weird apple cider vinegar drinks with the addition of sparkling water as well as apple cider/ lemon /ginger/&cinnamon sparkling water drinks, Im sorta addicted to those. However, I wouldn't turn down the rare occasional cold root beer. I have tried making it the long tedious way and that yeilded something similar, but not preferable results. After some experimentation I think if I ever had the hankering for one I found it so much easier to use a couple teaspoons of root beer extract with sparkling water and a sweetner.

My husband drinks soda now, and I thought, if only I could get a giant carbonation tank (yearly) he wouldnt have to pick up bottles of sparkling water and sodas every week, that I could make what I drink (and he drinks) by using that same tank.

I gotta call a restaurant and ask, this is still bugging me
kawaii.gif

• Informative
Upvote 0

Tobyjoe

Sep 24, 2020
usa
✟78,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Commercial size for home made will be healthier (control sugar use) and looks like you're going that way. Hope you still experiment with natural soda though, imho stocking wine yeast and campden tablets is cheaper than buying C02. Post pics when you get things sorted out!

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Commercial size for home made will be healthier (control sugar use) and looks like you're going that way. Hope you still experiment with natural soda though, imho stocking wine yeast and campden tablets is cheaper than buying C02. Post pics when you get things sorted out!

Yeah you know, I do have a mason jar filled with them, lol I just havent used them. I should though, just to test them out to see if they still work because I get mixed search results trying to find an expiration date for them. But I do test a bunch of things that were supposed to be long expired at a specific time only to keep stretching the time and trying some of them some 5 years after and they are perfectly fine by me. Then I just reseal them and try them again do it again the next year and I repeat doing that to get a better clue to the acceptable length of time I will hold on to a certain item. My husband likes carnation malted milk (I make him milkshakes on Saturday night) and I just tossed a 6 years passed expired half gallon mason jar full of it. It was actually fine and there was no taste difference between the new or old. But I thought it wise to end that expirement because of where we are at this time, and just replace with new. He likes these caramel cornpop things and they were fine wayyyy past their time ( like 4 years ) and pretzels (stuff like that).

Hey, if you do any bread experimentations I would love to try some of those, I tried my junior hand mill grinder and I cant stand it, your arm feels like its going to fall off turning it like a hundred times just to get a teaspoon of flour out of it, lol I thought, you've gotta be kidding me? This is NOT going to work for us. So I just purchased a basic KoMo classic grinder and I really need to work with how to make breads from milled (and handsifted) flours. Get the hang of it. Besides that, I gotta to find some kind of smaller solar set up that we can configure to run that (at the very least) lol I'll have to eat grasshoppers before I ever use that handmill, that will take all day, no way...^_^

Well, on the brighter side, I suppose there will likely be nothing better to do than crank away lol

• Haha
Upvote 0

Tobyjoe

Sep 24, 2020
usa
✟78,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Read somewhere that the great reset has insects on the menu. Be ironic if that causes more methane like beans. Do have a hand crank and hard wheat berries but we haven't tried to make bread yet. The cranking part will be my job, anyway. I can make stuff from flour/water that will work in a pinch. Proper food will be my wife's part, lol.

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, bugs, sounds deliSHIOUS... Insects will be "a whole new culinary experience" ^_^

And as long as theres enough locusts to go around and a little honey (to sweeten the experience) we'll be fine, John the baptist did it didn't he? Besides, it should help stave away any food fatigue for us in adding something new and crunchy to the menu lol.

I typically try some of the recipes Emmy uploads but I havent gotten a chance to give these a try

(But since you brought it up)
kawaii.gif

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heres freeze dried earth worm jerky. Free jerky is what it is.

Let us all know about all your experiences and/or recipes you can come up with concerning these ^_^

This one she said smelled like Raid, it was probably sprayed with it, I would have use that as an excuse not to eat it right then and there.

That was actually a Christmas special series lol

She has alot of bug eating videos

• Haha
Upvote 0

Tobyjoe

Sep 24, 2020
usa
✟78,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Naw man, not going to eat bugs like Emmy, long as I have the choice. I think the food companies will process the insects into meal or flour of some sort. Think Doritos, which are made up of ground up stuff and highly seasoned. We have nothing to worry about, hehe.

Liking Emmy a lot; she eats things so we don't have to.

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Naw man, not going to eat bugs like Emmy, long as I have the choice. I think the food companies will process the insects into meal or flour of some sort. Think Doritos, which are made up of ground up stuff and highly seasoned. We have nothing to worry about, hehe.

Liking Emmy a lot; she eats things so we don't have to.

Yeah, she does that so gracefully, I like her channel, its hard to trust her when she says, MMmm not bad to something when she says the same about bugs too ^_^

Amazon sells ground crickets if your interested. ^_^

You might have to work it into your breads first to get you used to the flavor, before the end of your world comes LOL!

If Emmy and John the Baptist can do it we can too

I think I would prefer them freeze dried, and ground then whole with their eyes and legs in tact scratching the inside of your mouth ^_^

I'll eat tree bark and dirt

She eats dirt too

But I would RATHER that then the others, but what is sad is that some people actually do eat these dirt/clay cakes, they do have minerals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heres a variety of things to do with flowers (coming down off of bugs lol)

Fried dandelions

Dandelion coffee

Dandelion honey

Dandelion wine

She makes these giant sunflowers look delicious, never knew you could do this with sunflowers

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By the way, this recipe by Chef John (its a Golash) will work wonderfully for canned beef

Chef John's Beef Goulash

First time I ever made it, its simple enough and tasty enough, if anyones looking for recipes (or seasonings) that will work with canned meat.

• Informative
Upvote 0