Anyone have any decent recipes for Yoders canned meats?

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We need to rotate some of the canned meats we purchased by the case soon and before I do I figured I would ask if anyone here has any decent recipes to make canned meat taste decent?

I was looking online I think I found two. I would think it would be easier to be creative with these but since they are already cooked I can only think of two recipes with the beef (cooked in its own gravy) maybe served mash potatoes and another just spruce it up with taco seasoning and make soft shelled tacos, and thats it, and neither are appealing with canned meat but I figure if I use one can every 2-3 weeks I can move them along that way.

If you guys have more please list them, I dont eat canned meats and I am at a loss on how to prepare them so they are not such a drag to work into the menu.

Thanks for any help

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, and this is going backwards but how does the beef taste/smell? Bland? I'm interested in trying a case.

I never tasted it or smelled it, I cannot bring myself to want to open one. It could be great I am just a big chicken about trying it without a decent recipe (just in case). I could always feed it to my dog. I was going to get the freeze dried beef dices but I heard that one tastes like dog food, I know thats what it looks like on the #10 can and with that knowledge I cant justify getting that cubed beef for the price that it costs now, its something like $85-$145 a can depending on who you purchase it from, its crazy.

Cant help you out either, with the exception of Yoders bacon best price I have found is at MRE depot and thats pretty good for canned bacon, we have tried that one and you get alot in it too.

Upvote 0

Tobyjoe

Sep 24, 2020
usa
✟78,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
LOL, no don't feed it to the dog. It's $197 bucks a case (amazon prime); good for emergencies but pricey otherwise. Would suggest your fav stew recipe if the meat smells good. If not then a beef curry recipe. Curry is the only way I can handle wild billy goat meat; really stink/gamey. Maybe stir fry. Local favs in my locale is "chopped steak" and "beef tomato".

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LOL, no don't feed it to the dog. It's $197 bucks a case (amazon prime); good for emergencies but pricey otherwise. Would suggest your fav stew recipe if the meat smells good. If not then a beef curry recipe. Curry is the only way I can handle wild billy goat meat; really stink/gamey. Maybe stir fry. Local favs in my locale is "chopped steak" and "beef tomato".

Im trying to stay away from Amazon and go directly to websites, I do not have Amazon Prime and I know that MRE Depot's cases come so perfect (undented) they are worth the extra.

I have never tried curry, I find the recipes confusing, like what curry are they talking about? The Paste the powder, what kind there are a few kinds, so I have stayed away from even trying them, but would love to, anything to not eat it straight from the can. I have a SHTF cookbook that I made so I have the things at hand to grab (but depending on what we like and ease of longer term storage). Took me like 6 months to gather them (on top of the ones purchased) but its always better to figure out what you like and store according and then there is less buying and waste.

Maybe if I wash it off in a collander and then marinate it^_^

My dog has to eat too so I didnt mind spending the little extra because dogs dry food doesnt keep as long as those but the freeze dried dog food is just way too exspensive.

Set up a bunch of bird feeders for a bunch of squirrel traps (at windows range) there are some recipes for squirrel, I never tried that either, but I am actually beginning to have a preference to fresh over canned (regardless).

Do you have a decent curry recipe thats easy enough to follow?

And you know, I did see MRE's with beef and tomato and they dont last as long but do you have a decent recipe?

I guess I should check a few of them out and try them, I have curry powders because I thought to keep a variety of those in order to try it but I havent found a recipe, have one? Something simple though, not because I cant do anything more complex but something that would be decent for canned meat that can be done in a situation when very little is available.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tobyjoe
Upvote 0

Tobyjoe

Sep 24, 2020
usa
✟78,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just ordered a case of assorted meats (chicken, pork, beef, sausage, etc). First thing is to try with soy sauce, mayo and make a sandwich; gamey smell or not, lol. When the hard times come I'm kind of okay with eating awful tasting foods. Don't like mountain house freeze dried and stuff like it. Asked the wife for recipes as she is the one making the stew/curry. I'm basic; will empty a can of corned beef into a fry pan and add chopped cabbage. Will be back with recipes and sources for the mixes.

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just ordered a case of assorted meats (chicken, pork, beef, sausage, etc). First thing is to try with soy sauce, mayo and make a sandwich; gamey smell or not, lol. When the hard times come I'm kind of okay with eating awful tasting foods. Don't like mountain house freeze dried and stuff like it. Asked the wife for recipes as she is the one making the stew/curry. I'm basic; will empty a can of corned beef into a fry pan and add chopped cabbage. Will be back with recipes and sources for the mixes.

Thank you!!! Great idea! The only case of Yoders I have never been able to get a hold of is their taco meat, been waiting until that comes in to order.

I am so glad you said something about that freeze dried beef, that just looks horrible, BUT MRE depot's millitary surplus (#10 cans) looks much better in the meats depart, I might order a case with a variety.

I was searching for a thread or recipe forum or videos on how to make something decent out of them so tell your wife thanks for anything she might be able to share with us

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heres 7 recipes to use with various canned meats in a SHTF scenario. Not something I would typically eat but it would have to do.

Heres a Puerto Rican canned corned beef recipe (with potatoes)

Puerto Rican Canned Corned Beef Stew

Heres a Filipino canned corned beef (with cabbage recipe)

Filipino Corned Beef and Cabbage

This link gives you 5 recipes for canned meats, one for Stew, Quesadillas, Chili, BBQ sandwich, and Beef Spaghetti sauce

5 Easy Canned Meat Recipes That Make Hearty Meals

Still looking for more

• Informative
Reactions: Tobyjoe
Upvote 0

Tobyjoe

Sep 24, 2020
usa
✟78,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From my better half:

Mild S&B curry
https://smile.amazon.com/Golden-Cur...keywords=curry+japanese&qid=1620108182&sr=8-1

Medium
https://smile.amazon.com/Golden-Cur...keywords=curry+japanese&qid=1620108182&sr=8-2

Hot
https://smile.amazon.com/Golden-Cur...NYHWHVABYPS&psc=1&refRID=APTQAG2VCNYHWHVABYPS

Just One Cookbook - to make from scratch:
How To Make Japanese Curry Roux • Just One Cookbook
<How To Make Japanese Curry Roux - Just One Cookbook.pdf>
Just One Cookbook - making with the above box curry
Japanese Chicken Curry チキンカレー • Just One Cookbook
I usually only add chicken or beef, carrots, potatoes & celery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From my better half:

Mild S&B curry
https://smile.amazon.com/Golden-Cur...keywords=curry+japanese&qid=1620108182&sr=8-1

Medium
https://smile.amazon.com/Golden-Cur...keywords=curry+japanese&qid=1620108182&sr=8-2

Hot
https://smile.amazon.com/Golden-Cur...NYHWHVABYPS&psc=1&refRID=APTQAG2VCNYHWHVABYPS

Just One Cookbook - to make from scratch:
How To Make Japanese Curry Roux • Just One Cookbook
<How To Make Japanese Curry Roux - Just One Cookbook.pdf>
Just One Cookbook - making with the above box curry
Japanese Chicken Curry チキンカレー • Just One Cookbook
I usually only add chicken or beef, carrots, potatoes & celery.

Tell your wife I said, Thank you! Much appreciated, in fact last night I added that same golden curry into my Amazon cart, that another I read one reviewer talking about Vermont (was it?) and how some people mix the two.

BUT I so glad you linked to a homemade version, this is great, great recipes, I went to print the one it was like 6 pages long ^_^ I'll let you know when I tried it. I spent the day handwriting 10 recipes off of videos that did not include the written recipe for me to print off, but you have to have them printed off, if not you wont have access to them in such a time.

Thank you so much again, and if you think of anymore (even more simple ones) think of me over here.

Binge hunting for recipes here.

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have a dog also; don't usually cook with garlic and onions so the three of us can eat the same food:). Our kids are grown up and living on their own.

Let me ask your opinion on dogs, we have many cases of dog cans, and 3 huge bags (at one time) because it does not have a real long shelf life so we are limited. Although I learned how to make vital wheat gluten meat (various) its like vegans make and mine loves it, and so after seeing whether she would eat it I bought a case of #10 cans of it to make that for her (or a human even) but I am not sure if thats the best for dogs. I had originally had her on the dinovite diet she did amazing on that but you cant get the raw meat (and refrigerate it) in a SHTF scenario. So I was wondering if there was a better choice for dogs than the one I chose. I know some humans have gluten allergies but I never really thought about that with a dog.

You have any other dog food suggestions? Or you guys just stay away from onions and garlic and just eat the same (and thats it)?

Upvote 0

Tobyjoe

Sep 24, 2020
usa
✟78,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let me ask your opinion on dogs, we have many cases of dog cans, and 3 huge bags (at one time) because it does not have a real long shelf life so we are limited. Although I learned how to make vital wheat gluten meat (various) its like vegans make and mine loves it, and so after seeing whether she would eat it I bought a case of #10 cans of it to make that for her (or a human even) but I am not sure if thats the best for dogs. I had originally had her on the dinovite diet she did amazing on that but you cant get the raw meat (and refrigerate it) in a SHTF scenario. So I was wondering if there was a better choice for dogs than the one I chose. I know some humans have gluten allergies but I never really thought about that with a dog.

You have any other dog food suggestions? Or you guys just stay away from onions and garlic and just eat the same (and thats it)?

Think I'd go with kibble if I didn't think food was going to expensive and hard to come by in the near future. One less item to buy. Wife will set aside some of the main dish for the dog; enough to last for 2-3 days in the fridge. For example, dog will get some of the stir fry without the seasoning. Just meat and veggies. If a dish is meant to last 3-4 days then stuff bad for dogs will be left out. Zero onions and garlic in stew. If a mix has that then we won't feed it to the dog. Don't know if the dog would go back to kibble.

Here is a pic of the inside cover of my fav cookbook. Recently made tangerine wine with his "method"; long story. Basically it's about making do with what you have. He also mentions what he calls appetite fatigue; getting tired of eating the same stuff. Made me think about stocking wide (variety) instead of going deep (quantity). The author also has a website. He doesn't go into much detail about preparing wild game. Bought from amazon. 2CED9047-C6B6-440C-BDA8-A22317E319ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowMan
Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Think I'd go with kibble if I didn't think food was going to expensive and hard to come by in the near future. One less item to buy. Wife will set aside some of the main dish for the dog; enough to last for 2-3 days in the fridge. For example, dog will get some of the stir fry without the seasoning. Just meat and veggies. If a dish is meant to last 3-4 days then stuff bad for dogs will be left out. Zero onions and garlic in stew. If a mix has that then we won't feed it to the dog. Don't know if the dog would go back to kibble.

Here is a pic of the inside cover of my fav cookbook. Recently made tangerine wine with his "method".
Basically it's about making do with what you have. He also mentions what he calls appetite fatigue; getting tired of eating the same stuff. Made me think about stocking wide (variety) instead of going deep (quantity). View attachment 298548

Hey thanks so much, I have a few of these sorts of books but havent heard of this one, I just went and put it in my cart. And yes, I have heard of that particular fatigue and is one of the reasons I am looking for more recipes, to be able to change things up, test them out first and then put aside the best ones according to whether the ingredients can be obtained and stored for awhile. Several bean recipes, several grits recipes (savory and sweet) etc, several of each thing to change things up. More then several really my SHTF recipe collection is pretty wide, I just ordered a few hundred clear sleeves and binders to finally have a place for those (more specifically).

Its kind of fun too, how you can find great ideas for simpler recipes for some of your favorites. Even for drinks, I finally got off of coffee maker coffee (in case we could not use it) but I had to blend a couple of different instant coffees together to prefer it over the other (because coffee is my must have item lol) I drink a cup in the morning and do not eat anything all day until dinner. So I eat just one meal a day typically. But my favorite cold drink is this homemade lemonade (I do a mix of Apple cider vinegar and fresh lemon and stevia and sparkling water) that I like (I have a few different cold drink recipes that I made up) but we buy that True Lemon in bulk (500 packs) and that really makes a wonderful lemonade. I do wish I could get one of those carbonation tanks (the old huge ones) the little ones are so expensive so I will need to forget about that altogether.

I don't know if you use cream in your coffee (or whether you drink it like I do) but I often will have some left over that goes bad before the weeks end, but I found you can actually whip it up (and pour into icecube trays) and cream will freeze and thaw out for it perfectly that way. I am on that Keto diet, its allowed, and so I use it. But I will definitely miss that whenever I need to give it up in my morning coffee, I havent found a decent replacement for that yet.

Its fun to experiment with these sort of things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not all Yoders, but if anyone is looking for a variety of canned meats recipes I just got done copying these off (and this website has some more I will post later)

Heres a canned fish stew recipe

Fish Stew Recipe with Canned Mackerel - MyFoodChannel

Smoked fish dip

Smoked Fish Dip with only 4 Ingredients - MyFoodChannel

Canned Jackfruit pulled pork (using young green canned jackfruit)

Jackfruit Pulled Pork Recipe for Vegetarian BBQ - MyFoodChannel

A meatless chicken tikka masala (using young green canned jackfruit)

Jackfruit Recipe Meatless Chicken Tikka Masala - MyFoodChannel

Vegetarian chili (You can used canned beans or dried really)

Vegetarian Chili is not just for Vegetarians! - MyFoodChannel

Rutabaga hash browns (with no potatoes) they have this in cans also

Hash Browns Recipe w/ Rutabaga and Zero Potato - MyFoodChannel

Off the subject of canned things to make for a moment, out of my strange curiosity I wanted to test the some weird recipes made with ritz crackers, like ritz cracker (zero apple) apple pie, which was really amazing! It tasted just like apple pie (and I wasnt starving when I tried it to appreciate it) EmmymadeinJapan made the video on how to make it, and that was really a neat experiment. Theres also a cracker as there is also a popcorn salad, theres just some neat things like that to make that I never think that would work, but do.

I'll add more as I get them.

Upvote 0

Tobyjoe

Sep 24, 2020
usa
✟78,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
17EEFF60-32CC-4FD0-916B-FE2BDE96823C.jpeg Got the case of assorted Yoders today. On opening the beef chunks can, there was a slight canned corned beef smell but not unpleasant. Ate a spoonful. Tasted bland and texture is like canned tuna. Made sandwich spread with mayo and soy sauce. Was too bland for me so added siracha (hot) mayo. Was good straight from the can. There is broth and separated chunks of fat so have the option is use it or not. My take is any recipe using canned tuna will work. OP, thank you for asking the first question. :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 298604 Got the case of assorted Yoders today. On opening the beef chunks can, there was a slight canned corned beef smell but not unpleasant. Ate a spoonful. Tasted bland and texture is like canned tuna. Made sandwich spread with mayo and soy sauce. Was too bland for me so added siracha (hot) mayo. Was good straight from the can. There is broth and separated chunks of fat so have the option is use it or not. My take is any recipe using canned tuna will work. OP, thank you for asking the first question. :wave:

Thanks for letting me know, they arrived fast! I think its supposed to taste bland because the meat always needs the creativity of the one who is going to eat it to add their preferred seasonings, so it leaves all your options on the table as to what to do with it. Looking for as many decent (or tolerable recipes to use with them. They give you a big can though, thanks for sharing that.

When I looked at the Mountain house Freeze dried at $68 for a #10 can the total number of calories in that one can for that price is 1650 calories (which they break down into 15 servings per can) which comes down to 110 calories per serving (and said to last 25-30 years).

On the other hand, Yoders is about $10 a can and the total number of calories in their beef can are 2380 calories each. They break their servings down into 14 per can (with a "minimum" shelf life of 10 years). To me, it would be worth buying the Yoders cans over these freeze dried beef ones. Especially if you are older and do not believe you have 25 years left (like me)lol

Thanks again Tobyjoe

Upvote 0

Tobyjoe

Sep 24, 2020
usa
✟78,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey thanks so much, I have a few of these sorts of books but havent heard of this one, I just went and put it in my cart. And yes, I have heard of that particular fatigue and is one of the reasons I am looking for more recipes, to be able to change things up, test them out first and then put aside the best ones according to whether the ingredients can be obtained and stored for awhile. Several bean recipes, several grits recipes (savory and sweet) etc, several of each thing to change things up. More then several really my SHTF recipe collection is pretty wide, I just ordered a few hundred clear sleeves and binders to finally have a place for those (more specifically).

Its kind of fun too, how you can find great ideas for simpler recipes for some of your favorites. Even for drinks, I finally got off of coffee maker coffee (in case we could not use it) but I had to blend a couple of different instant coffees together to prefer it over the other (because coffee is my must have item lol) I drink a cup in the morning and do not eat anything all day until dinner. So I eat just one meal a day typically. But my favorite cold drink is this homemade lemonade (I do a mix of Apple cider vinegar and fresh lemon and stevia and sparkling water) that I like (I have a few different cold drink recipes that I made up) but we buy that True Lemon in bulk (500 packs) and that really makes a wonderful lemonade. I do wish I could get one of those carbonation tanks (the old huge ones) the little ones are so expensive so I will need to forget about that altogether.

I don't know if you use cream in your coffee (or whether you drink it like I do) but I often will have some left over that goes bad before the weeks end, but I found you can actually whip it up (and pour into icecube trays) and cream will freeze and thaw out for it perfectly that way. I am on that Keto diet, its allowed, and so I use it. But I will definitely miss that whenever I need to give it up in my morning coffee, I havent found a decent replacement for that yet.

Its fun to experiment with these sort of things.

Have you considered using fermentation to carbonate your fav fruit drinks to make natural soda? Can find ebooks (library and free) or from watching you tube videos. My first batch of "homestead wine" was from tangerines from my yard about to get thrown away which turned out ok. Used plastic water bottles and it started off as a joke. Then I bought some basic equipment and now wanting to get this skillset in the bag of tricks. I mention this because you can stop the fermentation process early to end with carbonated fruit juice. I tried it. Is very good. Pic is fruit wine from frozen blueberrys, a 3 berry mix and passion orange concentrate with raisins. Think all would make a tasty soda.

Attachments

• 93E90ECE-A027-4749-83A4-D23E6C1440AE.jpeg
    93E90ECE-A027-4749-83A4-D23E6C1440AE.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0