• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anybody else been told this by a doc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyKatz

I'm a leaf on the wind. . .watch how I soar
Nov 27, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was diagnosed with OCD last fall and at one point my doc suggested that the reason I was religious was because of my OCD. Which, to be perfectly honest, annoyed the heck out of me. And it still bugs me. Yes, I have obsessions that are involved with my faith, but I don't think the OCD is the reason I became a Christian and I feel it undermined my faith when she said that. I was wondering if anybody else had had that suggested to them by their healthcare professional? Or if their OCD led to having faith-based issues?

RobertZ

Feb 26, 2009
Gastonia NC
✟4,414.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was diagnosed with OCD last fall and at one point my doc suggested that the reason I was religious was because of my OCD. Which, to be perfectly honest, annoyed the heck out of me. And it still bugs me. Yes, I have obsessions that are involved with my faith, but I don't think the OCD is the reason I became a Christian and I feel it undermined my faith when she said that. I was wondering if anybody else had had that suggested to them by their healthcare professional? Or if their OCD led to having faith-based issues?

One thing your doctor cannot diagnose is your heart, only God can do that. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keryakos

Jan 12, 2009
✟1,706.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
no but its something i have wondered about myself ..

i agree with ann and Robert Z ...The Holy Spirit Draws someone ..and that is not OCD ..A Personal relation ship with Christ is not ocd .

And i will add that no ocd can bring about a change of heart that only the Holy Spirit can.

My advice is to tell your doctor to stick it in their ear and never say that you again.

Upvote 0

ObsessedButBlessed

Jul 15, 2007
✟8,131.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
What an asinine thing to suggest! I was a Christian long before I had OCD, and OCD two years before I started with the religious obsessions. Lots of non-Christians have OCD as well, how does she explain that? How ignorant of your doctor!

Is this your therapist or your general doctor? If it is your therapist, I'd suggest finding a new one.

Upvote 0

JennyKatz

I'm a leaf on the wind. . .watch how I soar
Nov 27, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What an asinine thing to suggest! I was a Christian long before I had OCD, and OCD two years before I started with the religious obsessions. Lots of non-Christians have OCD as well, how does she explain that? How ignorant of your doctor!

Is this your therapist or your general doctor? If it is your therapist, I'd suggest finding a new one.

She was the clinical psychologist that I saw when I was stationed in Bahrain (itty bitty island in the Persian Gulf), so I no longer see her. But, typical of military medical professionals, she didn't have a great personal manner. More of the "You're inconveniencing me by having the audacity to need my services" type.
I just told her that I didn't think that was right, but I didn't say much else than that. I was so surprised that she would even suggest such a thing, that I didn't really react strongly. But ever since then I wish I had told her that she was rude to suggest it. I mean, like you, I was a Christian before I started having religious-based obsessions. And even if the OCD was the reason for having a religious faith, well, it's not as if that would necessarily be a negative development in my life, which is what she seemed to see it as.
~sigh~

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.