Jun 6, 2011
USA
✟10,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi :wave:

Just google 'youtube how to knit' &/or search youtube itself.
My google search came up with these links, so it seems there are a lot of tutorials out there :)

Included are pics of my 2 Irish Knit sweaters (made years ago); one is hooded with a top button and pockets.

I really should do a cardigan; it has been years but should all come back to me :idea:

You do beautiful knitting! I just started, so needless to say, I have a long way to go! I am in the middle of a 'run away' afghan, and what I though would be a small blanket is turning out to be not so small! ^_^

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You do beautiful knitting! I just started, so needless to say, I have a long way to go! I am in the middle of a 'run away' afghan, and what I though would be a small blanket is turning out to be not so small! ^_^
Have fun with your knitting and keep practising! Knittinghelp.com has lots of helpful advice and answers to knitting problems. Another good site is About.com knitting. Both have forums where you can share your joys and your woes and ask questions.

Gillian

Upvote 0

jesusfreak220

Jan 6, 2007
Osnabrueck
✟15,783.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm working on a coffee cozy currently and hoping to start a baby blanket for my first niece soon. :) I've got to get started since I'll see her in two months! Can't wait to cuddle that beautiful little face... Oh yeah knitting. We were talking about knitting. :)

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Are you using 2 needles or 4 for your cosy? I'm sure your niece will be very cosy wrapped up in her blanket! Yes, talking about knitting can lead to lots of different topics can't it?

I have almost completed the 2nd sleeve of my cardi - just the cuff to tackle - then comes the fun part of sewing everything up.

Gillian

Gillian

Upvote 0

jesusfreak220

Jan 6, 2007
Osnabrueck
✟15,783.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm actually using five needles. It's my first project on dpns (I've always used two circulars before but I moved to Germany without my knitting supplies and found these for one euro).
I think the blanket is going to be a basket weave pattern. Enough to be interesting but not enough that I have to watch every moment what I'm doing.
You'll have to post pictures of your cardigan. I'm always impressed when people make clothing. It takes extra skill! Good luck with the sewing part. It's always my least favorite.

Upvote 0

Sailor Kenshin

More coffee!
May 14, 2012
Visit site
✟7,718.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Left off sock knitting for the summer. But now...

Has anyone ever knitted or crocheted with 'plarn?'. Plastic bag yarn? I didn' know this existed, now I want to make a shopping bag out of it.

There are a lot of pretty good YouTube tutorials.

Upvote 0

servant of Merciful Love

Goodbye~God bless
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
✟2,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sorry...I forgot about this thread :sorry:
Thanks ~ enjoy your project!
I'm working on a coffee cozy currently and hoping to start a baby blanket for my first niece soon. :) I've got to get started since I'll see her in two months! Can't wait to cuddle that beautiful little face... Oh yeah knitting. We were talking about knitting. :)
Prayers for your new little one ...coming soon :pray:
Left off sock knitting for the summer. But now...

Has anyone ever knitted or crocheted with 'plarn?'. Plastic bag yarn? I didn' know this existed, now I want to make a shopping bag out of it.

There are a lot of pretty good YouTube tutorials.
Hadn't heard of that; will check it out :thumbsup:
I love knitting too - it is very relaxing. But I have knitted since my kids were born (4 years now)... I really should pick it up again! It seems like a lot of people in this thread are having the same problem as I am finding the time!
Welcome to CF :wave:
Very little time for crafts these days :doh:

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm actually using five needles. It's my first project on dpns (I've always used two circulars before but I moved to Germany without my knitting supplies and found these for one euro).
I think the blanket is going to be a basket weave pattern. Enough to be interesting but not enough that I have to watch every moment what I'm doing.
You'll have to post pictures of your cardigan. I'm always impressed when people make clothing. It takes extra skill! Good luck with the sewing part. It's always my least favorite.

I'd like to see pictures of your blanket too. I have never used dpns or circulars except for one occasion long ago when I knitted a pair of socks for a Girl Guide badge - I used 4 dpns for that.

I had problems with the sleeve cuffs of my cardigan when I tried to remove the lace yarn, but I eventually got it sorted. However, I haven't started on the sewing up yet as I have been knitting phone covers for some friends who cooked meals for us when I was laid up with a broken ankle for 6 weeks. I still have a way to go but am on the mend.

God bless you in your craft.

Gillian

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
i havent done any knitting for years i did alot when my children were small i make greeting cards and do a little scrapbooking these days

maggie:groupray::priest::wave:
I don't think I have the skill or patience for card making or scrapbooking. A cousin of my mother's showed me a beautiful family scrapbook her niece - my 2nd cousin - had made. It was lovely to look through it and see all the family at their different family events over the years. They are in Canada while we are here in Northern Ireland so we don't see much of them.

Could you post some pictures of your cards?

Gillian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nota

Dec 15, 2012
turtle island
✟7,779.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
My knitting is lousy, never got the hang of it. Maybe because I am a crochet freak [found no thread for that].

I started crocheting very early, practically as an "ankle biter". Did a lot in my youth, then hardly any for some 20 years while raising a family.
Picked it up again in recent years.
Due to a chemical brain injury I can no longer comprehend complex pattern instructions.
So I switched to creating my own patterns, doing a variety of items, from very small decorative stuff to afghans.
I am an obsessive crocheter.
Give lots of items away as gifts and for fundraisers, and in the last two years am doing chemo caps [for chemotherapie patients] and lapghans [for patients in a veterans hospital].
I enjoy it very much!!!

nota

Upvote 0

nota

Dec 15, 2012
turtle island
✟7,779.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Hi Gillian, nice you are still around.
With some of the old posts I am not sure if the original posters of threads are still participating......

There are many things that suit me since I have many and varied interests.

I don`t think that there is much interest in crocheting or knitting, although people who get really into it often are very enthusiastic about it.
As a newbie I am rather reluctant to start threads, although I might eventually.

nota

Upvote 0

monicabay

Dec 30, 2012
✟7,612.00
Faith
Catholic
I love to knit and crochet. I make a lot of dish cloths, it helps me to relax. I want to sell them, but I am not sure I can. I usually end up giving them away. I would like to make enough to pay for themselves, but, if I end up gifting them, at least I enjoyed making them and someone can use them!!!^_^

Upvote 0

nota

Dec 15, 2012
turtle island
✟7,779.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
It is very difficult to sell handmade anything.
My experience is like your`s - I give away almost all items I crochet.

You need not only opportunities to sell [I went through many local businesses as well as quite a number all across the country - just kept getting deceived and cheated], but also a certain kind of business savvy which I seem to lack completely.

But there ARE people who successfully sell their creations.
Am thinking of places online like etsy which is maybe the most popular one for handmade items.
For online selling you need [in my opinion] considerable computer skills [which I lack in addition to laboring on a dinosaur dial-up `puter].

One website which can be helpful for getting new ideas is wahm.com
It is geared particularly towards stay at home mothers and provides a big forum for interaction with folks of similar interests.

nota

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I just joined a knitting club a few weeks ago and I'm really starting to get the hang of it. A friend teaches it and they've been a great teacher. I've gotten knitting down pat and how to undo simple errors. Now I'm working on pearling and knitting which is a lot harder.

That's great that you've found a knitting club and a great teacher of knitting. I guess you've just been doing garter stitch - knit every row - and now your teacher wants you to progress to stockinette stitch - one row knit, one row purl. Don't worry - it will get easier with practice.

Gillian

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well done, you're making good progress! Picking up stitches needs patience, but can be done. Some knitters refer to undoing their work as 'tinking' - 'tink' is knit spelt backwards. None of us likes to have to do that too often!

Are you working on any particular project?

I hope you continue to enjoy the craft.

Gillian

Upvote 0