Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Over the past few days, I did some hiking along the Ceredigion coastal path in west Wales. It's a great place for walking, lots of sea, country and mountain views, friendly people, and fantastic weather!

montage.jpg

Upvote 0

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I love hiking! I'm still pretty new to the overnight stuff, so I will need to test my new gear out more. Been doing day hikes all my life, though. I just got back from Utah to go hiking/camping at Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon. Snapped some pretty cool pictures along the way, even if they're horrible cellphone pics.

20200626_101226.jpg

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’m just getting into it so I don’t go places that are very challenging or lengthy. I hope to increase that as time goes by. The weather isn’t helping though. We usually just go on weekends or whenever hubby is off work and we had a great day weather-wise last week but I drank too much tea Before hubby suggested it and didn’t want to go out and then have nature calling me.
Btw, delicate question here, but how do you ladies handle the situation when nature calls?

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I have 70 miles left to hike in the 100 mile wilderness on the AT in Maine. So I'm starting that later this week. I need to find a taxi I can pay to drive me from one end to the other. I've got a lead so will try to call them today to see who their schedule is looking.
I've hiked 40 miles with 3 over nights before so this hike will be the longest hike with no resupply I've ever done. Luckily there is only me small mtn range with just over 2000 feet vertical climb, but about 3 valley between peaks that will add another 1000 feet vertical. I've have 7 days of food with me then so a lot of weight to carry over them mtns!

As for when nature calls. Ya, guys are a little easier, but as the hikes get long its not only number 1 that can happen. Always take bio degradable toilet paper. I always take it on any hike that I need water on. To pee one can just go on the ground. Its really best to have a plastic bag to put used paper in. The ground never looks good when people level the paper behind. The ethic of hikers is to leave no trace or carry in carry out. So its really looked down on if trash is left behind. On longer hikes like I'm on, and where there are a lot of woods, I can usually dig a hole and bury everything. That works well. If one is hiking up to higher elevation where poop and paper doesn't decay very fast, its often the policy now to carry out ones poop even. When one gets to lower elevation and can have a hot fire the poop bag can then be burnt up. So one has to take plastic bags for that purpose. That is the general over view.

• Winner
Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have 70 miles left to hike in the 100 mile wilderness on the AT in Maine. So I'm starting that later this week. I need to find a taxi I can pay to drive me from one end to the other. I've got a lead so will try to call them today to see who their schedule is looking.
I've hiked 40 miles with 3 over nights before so this hike will be the longest hike with no resupply I've ever done. Luckily there is only me small mtn range with just over 2000 feet vertical climb, but about 3 valley between peaks that will add another 1000 feet vertical. I've have 7 days of food with me then so a lot of weight to carry over them mtns!

As for when nature calls. Ya, guys are a little easier, but as the hikes get long its not only number 1 that can happen. Always take bio degradable toilet paper. I always take it on any hike that I need water on. To pee one can just go on the ground. Its really best to have a plastic bag to put used paper in. The ground never looks good when people level the paper behind. The ethic of hikers is to leave no trace or carry in carry out. So its really looked down on if trash is left behind. On longer hikes like I'm on, and where there are a lot of woods, I can usually dig a hole and bury everything. That works well. If one is hiking up to higher elevation where poop and paper doesn't decay very fast, its often the policy now to carry out ones poop even. When one gets to lower elevation and can have a hot fire the poop bag can then be burnt up. So one has to take plastic bags for that purpose. That is the general over view.
I was thinking more of some kind of container to do #1 in. I can’t squat without falling down.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I was thinking more of some kind of container to do #1 in. I can’t squat without falling down.

OK .. that makes it more difficult for sure. They do make devices for woman .. look up Female Urination Devices on Amazon ... a few types of devices will come up.

Upvote 0

BMorris

mechanic
Aug 11, 2020
Atlanta
✟15,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Do motorcycle and quad hiking count as well? In my teenage years, my family used to hike very often. We visited various national parks but nowadays (I mean before covid days) we travel everywhere on motorcycles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m just getting into it so I don’t go places that are very challenging or lengthy. I hope to increase that as time goes by. The weather isn’t helping though. We usually just go on weekends or whenever hubby is off work and we had a great day weather-wise last week but I drank too much tea Before hubby suggested it and didn’t want to go out and then have nature calling me.
Btw, delicate question here, but how do you ladies handle the situation when nature calls?
Lady hiker here! I just pee wherever I happen to be (obviously providing no other hikers are in sight). I heard you say you have trouble squatting. Would your husband be willing to hold your hands or arms to support you? Awkward, maybe, but... what are husbands for? :D Are you able to do some gentle squatting exercises at home to build up your muscles?

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hate spiders and it’s possible that the next time I see a snake (saw one many years ago when hubby, the dogs and I were walking around a pond) it’ll be my last time hiking. For sure it will be the last time I go to that place. I’ve only been to that park we saw the snake at, maybe once, and I have not and will not walk around that pond again.

We live in Missouri so I’m no stranger to heat and humidity.

Where I live, the woods are very swampy, so bugs are constant from spring to fall. I run into spiderwebs a lot and just try to laugh it off and convince myself the actual SPIDER isn't on me, too lol.

Funny enough, I never see snakes in the particular forest where I hike. But there's a beautiful pond a bit further away with gorgeous hiking trails, but I ALWAYS see snakes there. Last time I saw 2-3 snakes on one short hike, and I haven't been back.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fall FINALLY decided to arrive today. After several days of rain, I worried about finding a trail that wasn't washed out and muddy, but after some googling, I discovered a brand new trail nearby. Just installed this year, with excellent, gravel trails, and I only had to navigate one, small flooded spot. It was beautiful! I will definitely add it to my list of favorites for future hiking :)

PXL_20201031_165106544.jpg
PXL_20201031_165411604.jpg
PXL_20201031_172407453.jpg
PXL_20201031_173231120.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does anyone else set distance challenges for themselves? I never have before, but wanted to try! I joined Race At Your Pace and set a challenge for myself for the month of November. Wish me luck! 2.5 miles to hike to reach it :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely. The hard part is that I walk with crutches, so I can't hike as far as other people. But it's still one of my favorite outdoor activities.
I’ve got MS and my balance has been off. My doctor recommends hiking poles.

• Friendly
Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0