Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
To those who watch, what's your favourite format?? Mine is Test cricket. Most pure form of the game.
:clap:

Nothing else comes close to test cricket. The strategy, tactics, psychology and the constant twists and turns cannot be matched by the shorter form, or IMO, by any other sport.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I love the limited overs games....Tests are too long and tedious IMO and Twenty20s are over too fast!
Australia gave Afghanistan a bit of a touch up in the ICC World Cup!!
They did, but the Afghans are having a fantastic time. It's just great that they can be there at all; and that they can now practice at home without fear of being attacked (the Taliban used to ban all sports, but they have apparently agreed to let people play cricket - unexpectedly civilised of them!).

When Afghanistan beat Scotland the other day they all went crazy; one of my colleagues is in Kabul right now and he said there was 'partying' into the early hours (Afghan-style partying, driving around, beeping horns and shooting AK47s into the air!). If they beat England (not impossible seeing as England are so bad right now) I reckon they will declare a national holiday!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,543.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Afghanistan's story is quite incredible. They've come from nowhere to become one of the leading Associate nations in a very short space of time.

They've still got a long way to go before they can realistically compete with the bigger teams, but they show promise. One thing they've been able to do is produce some genuine quick bowlers, which the smaller teams often struggle at.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kind of a zombie thread, but I would rather reply to this one than start another.

Afghanistan and Ireland are great additions to full membership. Hopefully the security situation in Afganistan and Pakistan will improve enough for more matches. The new ESPN+ app subscription will have Ireland and New Zealand games on it, if you are in the USA. Its $5 a month or $60 a year and also includes most MLS soccer games, so not a bad deal.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Love cricket - Test matches are my preferred, followed by T20 - not a huge fan of ODIs, but will watch...
Nice, I agree, Test is preferred. I am looking forward to the England/SA tour coming up.

What do you think of T10? I haven't seen a pro game with it yet, but I think it is a good compromise for new leagues starting.

Cricket USA is starting a new T20 pro tournament, but they aren't putting a team in my city, which is really disappointing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I play sport, but don't follow it. Still, I agree it's great to see Afghanistan able to compete internationally.

However I'm a bit surprised to see a US citizen (tampasteve) following cricket! I thought baseball was their alternative.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I play sport, but don't follow it. Still, I agree it's great to see Afghanistan able to compete internationally.

However I'm a bit surprised to see a US citizen (tampasteve) following cricket! I thought baseball was their alternative.
I follow both baseball and cricket, I am fortunate to have an MLB and A level team(s) in my metro area. Our team (the Rays) are usually pretty competitive now, but I have been following them since around 2000, and they were terrible back then.

Interestingly there is a movement to start a pro cricket league here. This time it looks like it might actually happen. There are a lot of people from India and Pakistan that are really into cricket here, so there is enough interest.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Indians and Pakistanis (and most likely the Afghans as well) seem to be pretty good at cricket and field hockey, for some reason.

Many years ago the Indians almost had a monopoly on field hockey at Olympic and international level, but the introduction of artificial turf and a more aggressive European style of play pushed them downwards.

From 1928 to 1964, they won the Olympics every time bar one, and they were runner's up for the only one they didn't win.

From 1968 on, they seemed to have waned, but they're still a force to be reckoned with.

In cricket, the Indians have been defeating Australia fairly often, particularly in recent years.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Indians and Pakistanis (and most likely the Afghans as well) seem to be pretty good at cricket and field hockey, for some reason.

Many years ago the Indians almost had a monopoly on field hockey at Olympic and international level, but the introduction of artificial turf and a more aggressive European style of play pushed them downwards.

From 1928 to 1964, they won the Olympics every time bar one, and they were runner's up for the only one they didn't win.

From 1968 on, they seemed to have waned, but they're still a force to be reckoned with.

In cricket, the Indians have been defeating Australia fairly often, particularly in recent years.

India has a solid cricket team, they have the best national T20 league too, comparable to most US Major league teams for other sports. Everyone wants to play in the IPL cricket league. I don't really have a favorite test country. If I had to pick it would be England or South Africa. The Windies don't really excite me, even though they are the closest team. South Africa, as a cricket team, has had issues fielding a successful team due to race quotas, among other issues.

Upvote 0