Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I was fortunate enough to find someone years ago to take me under his wing and teach me shoe repair. He had inherited the shop from his father. Lots of zipper replacements, working on purses, dyeing leather and even worked on some saddle repairs.

I'm thinking of taking some classes for shoe making. Anybody out there do this type of work; either repair or making them?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was fortunate enough to find someone years ago to take me under his wing and teach me shoe repair. He had inherited the shop from his father. Lots of zipper replacements, working on purses, dyeing leather and even worked on some saddle repairs.

I'm thinking of taking some classes for shoe making. Anybody out there do this type of work; either repair or making them?
Certainly a very useful skill! :)

Over 40 years ago it used to fall to me to polish the household shoes, anyway...

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Certainly a very useful skill! :)

Over 40 years ago it used to fall to me to polish the household shoes, anyway...

Thanks Farouk, it's something I've always wanted to get back into and now that I'm older, my feet would like a pair of custom shoes without the high price tag.

• Informative
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Farouk, it's something I've always wanted to get back into and now that I'm older, my feet would like a pair of custom shoes without the high price tag.
My wife now prefers comfortable shoes. Custom ones is certainly an interesting idea and the way to go for some ppl. My wife still wears a heel sometimes but not as high as years ago. I think most custom shoes have lower heels.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My wife now prefers comfortable shoes. Custom ones is certainly an interesting idea and the way to go for some ppl. My wife still wears a heel sometimes but not as high as years ago. I think most custom shoes have lower heels.

Custom shoes don't have to be "old lady" shoes and can have a heel. After having an ankle and foot injury, my feet are not the same size plus I have a high arch and narrow heel. Having a custom shoe would conform to how my foot is shaped and allow better movement. So I think fancy dress shoes as well as practical shoes could be designed.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Custom shoes don't have to be "old lady" shoes and can have a heel. After having an ankle and foot injury, my feet are not the same size plus I have a high arch and narrow heel. Having a custom shoe would conform to how my foot is shaped and allow better movement. So I think fancy dress shoes as well as practical shoes could be designed.
You're probably right. Neither chunky flat ones nor the stilettos that the younger wearers can walk in, but aiming at custom made ones somewhere in between, maybe. She wasn't really ever into the dizzying stilettos. I think a lot of ppl aren't really aware of the potentials of custom made; I think fear of the assumed cost puts a lot of ppl off, but then maybe ppl can be into a surprise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To do it professionally, one would need a wide range of heel widths, from really thick and wide, to tiny and thin for the high heel variety.

I think that in these days of computer gadgets the value of a good, traditional skill such as shoe repairing is often overlooked; but it's so necessary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums