Any choir singers/lay readers here?

Mariya116

Dec 3, 2011
✟16,306.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have searched the forum for threads on choir singing and have not found anything recent. So, dear choir singers! Let's get acquainted and share our experiences! I sing both alto and soprano, depending on who's more needed on a particular day. I sing at the Liturgy and the Vespers, and do reading if needed. I love it, even though it is a lot of responsibility and takes a lot of time out of my week. But I'm glad to be able to serve the parish in this way. Mine is a very devoted parish, I respect them for how they have carried on despite the declining membership.

Reactions: seashale76

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have searched the forum for threads on choir singing and have not found anything recent. So, dear choir singers! Let's get acquainted and share our experiences! I sing both alto and soprano, depending on who's more needed on a particular day. I sing at the Liturgy and the Vespers, and do reading if needed. I love it, even though it is a lot of responsibility and takes a lot of time out of my week. But I'm glad to be able to serve the parish in this way. Mine is a very devoted parish, I respect them for how they have carried on despite the declining membership.

Hi, Mariya! :wave:

I'm also a "roving" alto/soprano. :) My range is really 2nd Soprano/1st Alto - not too high and not too low. We have several services each week and I try to be at as many as possible, so yes it does take time but I love it. I'll be singing til they cart me off or my voice gives out. :) About the only time I get to do any Reading is during the morning Holy Week services early in the week when very few people are there.

Mary

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,301,744.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I suppose you could call me a Lay Reader too - I read the Epistle in English every week . We are a Ukrainian Language parish and only the Readings are repeated in English. Until our Sub-deacon arrived at Pentecost I was also Blessed by our Exarch to read the Gospel as well - now that's the sub-deacon's remit [ we do cover for each other's absences so we are always prepared for both each week - just-in-case :) ]

We don't have a choir but Ukes sing :) . There is something strange about our Chant though - at some point in the past[ could be 20 years ago ] they started using the 1st Harmony line as the Melody - it's taken me some time to start harmonising - but it's slowly developing now and I'm gaining in confidence , though concentrating on the language and the chant at the same time is challenging.

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

hi, i'm a bass, and i contribute to the choir every so often. i'm not a "regular" per se, but i do what i can.

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
✟7,722.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My husband is the choir director and I sing soprano as well. I do think it is a labor of love as well, and I do enjoy my time there. Currently I am on extended choir leave of absence ever since my youmgest daughter became mobile and could not sit quietly in her carseat anymore. Hopefully once she grows a bit she and her sister can keep quiet and not be so distracting to all the choir members.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 9, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
✟7,722.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I must say I'm not a child/baby person and would gladly do without children in the choir loft (the non-stop whining, Jesus!). Then again, I'm a woman so it's indecent to admit to not adoring little darlings.

Yeah, it was fine when my first was the only one there, I was able to stay in the back more to sing and nobody really noticed her. It was kind of hard for me not to sing since I was one of 2 sopranos. It's kind of difficult with 2 to keep them quiet especially when the youngest is only 9 months old... so i'm on an extended break. Being in the choir loft really was great for my now 2 year old. She can sing many of the responses, and she knows the Beatitudes fairly well.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟759,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I had not sung for perhaps 30 years & then had to chant during a 2007 Lent Presanctified liturgy (with deep apprehension). From there I was basically put into the choir & have been there since ( a most humbling experience). Guess I go off key back & forth between tenor & baritone and have found choir to be most spiritually uplifting. In our Antiochian parish, we use majority English with a fair share of old liturgical Arabic, occasional Slavonic & Greek also.

Upvote 0

hungrytiger

I don't know what I'm talking about.
Feb 2, 2006
✟1,421.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I try to sing soprano with the choir. Sometimes we do some of the readings too.

I was trying to learn how to sing alto. My range is more soprano, but I seem to be able to get most of the alto part. I was trying to learn because we have a small choir and it would be nice if we could have all the parts covered well. But then the two people who sang alto moved away, and I didn't feel I had it down well enough to carry it on my own. Though just recently we got a new alto again :clap: So, now our choir's back up to 4 members. :thumbsup:

I don't find it very demanding. I'm glad I'm able to go to church and that they let me try to sing. I'm afraid I don't practice much though. And we don't normally have a lot of services during the week. So I guess that's why.

My two little girls hang out in the pew with us. I hope they're not too disruptive. :sorry: They're 4 years old and almost 2 years old. I'm just so glad that they're able to come to church with me.

Upvote 0