Any Catholics going to Protestant churches?

ChristopherinLA

Nov 10, 2017
Los Angeles
✟24,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm just wondering because I heard it is more common than you think that there are Roman Catholics who attend a Protestant churches even though they disagree with the theology. Maybe it is because a spouse is Protestant, or maybe there are no Catholic churches nearby. I'm just curious how you are able to do it or why if you care to share? Are other people in the Protestant church OK with it?

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
When I can, I like to go to Catholic Mass on Saturday night, and on Sunday morning, I like to go to another church in walking distance, just to see how they do it. So far, everyone's been very accepting of a Catholic being in the premises, and they think it's really cool that I'm willing to check out other churches. No one tries to "correct" the other; people know I'm just an observer, and although I'm ready if someone mentions interest in Catholicism, they may be a little interested in me, but no one's asked me about Catholicism.

The last Protestant church I went to was an Episcopalian church where I knew the priest, and it was interesting to be part of a service so similar to a Catholic Mass, even acknowledging the Real Presence of the Eucharist. The format was the same, with the Liturgy of the Word, Liturgy of the Eucharist, and the Nicene Creed that still uses the old translation, so I was seriously thrown off.

Even though they acknowledged the Real Presence, I wasn't sure if I could take it or not, so I opted for just a blessing, and people still respected that. I'm sure this differs based on what group of people you find, but my refusal to take Anglican communion was still met with understanding that there are still differences between denominations.

The other churches I've gone to haven't been because I've known anyone, but just because they were close. And actually, the more I go to Protestant churches, the happier I am to be Catholic. The UCC and United Methodist's contemporary worship were interesting but very shallow in theology, with the UCC not acknowledging a truth to the Bible (any interpretation is fine! We don't have a group [like the Magisterium] to tell you what to think, we let everyone think their own thing!), and the contemporary worship used very little of the Bible and was based more on Christian rock songs than any deep theology. But even the very similar Episcopalian service, with the Real Presence and a liturgical structure, still had a crucial flaw; I couldn't look at the priest, and think, "Wow, this guy's a successor to the Apostles." I do that, sometimes, at Catholic Masses, becoming very aware of the deep history that runs through our beautiful Church. Nearly everything else I love about Catholicism was at the Episcopalian church, but with what is essentially a rival priesthood, as heretics like the Donatists established much earlier in Church history, I can't see it as a True Church.

Upvote 0

ChristopherinLA

Nov 10, 2017
Los Angeles
✟24,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks! I can see how it is hard to see another church as the True Church when you understand the history of the Catholic Church. I think what I’m wondering is if anybody has resolved to make a Protestant Church their main church for some reason other than just casual visiting.
Btw Jason Evert changed my life too! I found a copy of pamphlet “Pure Love” and it was full of nuggets of truth that helped me lead a chaste relationship with my then girlfriend, now wife. Anyway, what book do you recommend from him and why?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A few years ago I was going with my friend to a House Church on a pretty regular basis.
Some complications arose around me being Catholic and I stopped attending

Ofcourse I still went to mass on Sunday
I do not think my friend still attends either for different reasons

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My wife is Protestant (Baptist) and I try to go to her church about once a month (but I often don't get there). We were both Protestant when we married, but I became Catholic a few years later.

So for the sake of marital harmony I try to go monthly to her church. She occasionally comes to our functions, but rarely to a mass.

The division of the church is a tragedy. It's obvious that her Baptist (and my former Presbyterian, Wesleyan Methodist etc.) compatriots are just as sincere believers in Christ as we are, and sometimes more enthusiastic. But for some reason God doesn't seem to be in a hurry to knock heads together to get everybody back into one visibly united church.

I suppose He'll make it very clear when He's had enough of our man-made divisions. It's not the Holy Spirit that causes them.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks! I can see how it is hard to see another church as the True Church when you understand the history of the Catholic Church. I think what I’m wondering is if anybody has resolved to make a Protestant Church their main church for some reason other than just casual visiting.
Btw Jason Evert changed my life too! I found a copy of pamphlet “Pure Love” and it was full of nuggets of truth that helped me lead a chaste relationship with my then girlfriend, now wife. Anyway, what book do you recommend from him and why?
I've heard of some Catholics regularly attending Protestant churches because they're looking for a better sense of community, and especially when they don't see our rituals as anything but dry & lifeless. A proper understanding of the Mass is vital, I think, to keeping Catholics home. Also, more social opportunities, because we are pretty bad at a sense of community at weekend Masses (daily Mass has a great crowd, along with other Adult Ed or other such groups, but when people don't do the extra stuff, they don't see it so much).

As far as Jason Evert is concerned, I first found out about him from his talks, but his flip book is my favorite, and one I like to hand out to people.https://www.amazon.com/Theology-His...F8&qid=1544558109&sr=8-1&keywords=jason+evert

Upvote 0

ChristopherinLA

Nov 10, 2017
Los Angeles
✟24,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My wife is Protestant (Baptist) and I try to go to her church about once a month (but I often don't get there). We were both Protestant when we married, but I became Catholic a few years later.

So for the sake of marital harmony I try to go monthly to her church. She occasionally comes to our functions, but rarely to a mass.

The division of the church is a tragedy. It's obvious that her Baptist (and my former Presbyterian, Wesleyan Methodist etc.) compatriots are just as sincere believers in Christ as we are, and sometimes more enthusiastic. But for some reason God doesn't seem to be in a hurry to knock heads together to get everybody back into one visibly united church.

I suppose He'll make it very clear when He's had enough of our man-made divisions. It's not the Holy Spirit that causes them.

Thanks for your story. I am in a similar situation but not at a point where I feel like God is calling me to leave my Protestant church. I am married and have a newborn so I am starting to think about the future and how I will raise him. I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 2: 10 in that the truths of the Catholic church are not revealed to individuals by our own understanding but are imparted by the Holy Spirit. Perhaps one day these truths will be made known to your wife and mine.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I went to a Jehovah Witness convention with a friend one time and found it to be odd. It was comprised of a bunch of little plays that told you to refer to the JW leaders for everything you do in life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went to a Jehovah Witness convention with a friend one time and found it to be odd. It was comprised of a bunch of little plays that told you to refer to the JW leaders for everything you do in life.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My inlaws went to various protestant churches before eventually leaving the RCC. They were unhappy for a long time in the RCC before leaving. But keep in mind, my FIL converted to marry my MIL. He got very involved in the RCC but was never happy there.
I'm just wondering because I heard it is more common than you think that there are Roman Catholics who attend a Protestant churches even though they disagree with the theology. Maybe it is because a spouse is Protestant, or maybe there are no Catholic churches nearby. I'm just curious how you are able to do it or why if you care to share? Are other people in the Protestant church OK with it?

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
JW's are a cult. My mom was into that when I was a kid.
That's what my son said during the "play".
I also went to an independent non-denominational church with a friend. I wasn't impressed when the preacher talked about how rich he was and how lucky we were to have him.

Upvote 0