Any Bleach fans?

May 13, 2013
✟15,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love Bleach. And no, I am not a fangirl (although I could be...).

My rambling v
Although the fillers drive me crazy, the music is really good.
I thought the english dub version was decent.
So far, my favorite characters have been switching from Rukia, to Ichigo, and that one guy who resembles a cowboy.

So what are your comments/opinions on Bleach?

J.B.

Apr 9, 2010
California
✟8,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I wouldn't exactly consider myself a fan of the series yet, even though I have seen about thirty-five episodes. It has been a while since I have seen any more of Bleach. Perhaps I'll start again soon. I do like the music!

Upvote 0

Tirgithin

May 4, 2013
✟7,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I read and watched Bleach. I liked the start, the characters, their distinctive looks, personalities, the excitement of them getting closer and entering Soul Society, etc. But I started to lose interest when it started to use a few of the bad elements of shounen. Like powering up into infinity.

You generally can't win a hard or boss fight in Bleach by playing it smart, tactics, teamwork, being skilled with the limited power and resources you have, etc. You need to get more powerful. Similar to Dragonball.

Ichigo's friends are for the most part fairly useless (Orihime becomes the damsel in distress, Chad always gets defeated, etc.) and get conveniently unique powers assigned to them. I find it odd and not very good storytelling if almost everyone around Ichigo at some point gets some sort of power, like spiritual awareness and so on.

In the anime you have silly filler story arcs like those about the Bounts.

Ichigo gets assigned way too many roles and backgrounds; Shinigami...

*SPOILERS highlight*
...Hollow, Fullbring, Quincy.. His father was a Shinigami, his mother a Quincy, his sister has spiritual awareness, etc.
*SPOILERS end*

It gets kinda ridiculous, how many things the author makes up for one character to keep it "interesting". It feels kind of similar to the stages of super saiyan, only more creative. Apparantly the character can't carry the story and keep it going unless he has super awesome sauce powers..

It also makes the regular Shinigami seem less competent, less powerful and more dull, if one guy is this versatile and powerful. The regular Shinigami are delegated in a support role (keeping some other enemies busy) or as trainer. For me, that took away the illusion that the Shinigami are strong, when some teenager who just about knows how to use his powers, is more powerful.

Another bad thing of shounen which is incooperated, are the fights. But that is more a personal pet peeve of mine, because to me it feels like a soap; events get dragged out to fill up as many episodes (or chapters, in the case of the manga) as possible. The reader/viewer has to wait until Ichigo has gone through a few fights and a mini-boss, before he solves it all in a boss fight.

Not a bad manga/anime, just that it made me realize I prefer different shounen more.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I used to watch it, until it got to the end of the arc where I thought it should have finished. To avoid spoilers; eg: When super butterfly man was defeated. I couldn't be bothered to watch after that.

I also like Rukia... but it seems like she never gets more powerful. She spends the first three arcs powerless and locked in a tower. Then she merely gets her old powers back. It would have been nice if she was saved less, and had more power of her own. She be cool :p

9cbe660fd9e6ff61f11dc2e3a61ae088.jpg

So far, my favorite characters have been switching from Rukia, to Ichigo, and that one guy who resembles a cowboy.

So what are your comments/opinions on Bleach?

Who is a cowboy?

I read and watched Bleach. I liked the start, the characters, their distinctive looks, personalities, the excitement of them getting closer and entering Soul Society, etc. But I started to lose interest when it started to use a few of the bad elements of shounen. Like powering up into infinity.

I agree that the bit between Soul Society and dealings with the espada was kinda boring. The beginning and Soul Society were probably the best. Ulquiorra was cool too. :D

Ichigo won many times because of some crazy power he never had before. I have no idea how he beat Kenpachi, for a start.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

That's because he's secretly a Quincy.

Ah ok... didn't know that. I just read up on it. How does that explain how he beat Kenpachi though?

Also... is there a button for spoilers on this forum? :D

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Spoiler involving Aizen vs Ichigo

Is Aizen actually a good guy? I just watched his fight with Ichigo again, and at the end where he talks to Urahara. Aizen calls the Soul King a 'thing', and asks why a clever guy like Urahara subjects himself to that thing.

Maybe the Soul King is some sort of demonic force. Urahara's only defence is that the Soul King is needed for the stability of Soul Society. This sounds like Hobbes' (an old philosopher) defence of absolute monarchy.

Perhaps Urahara and the captains are defending a tyrant, and Aizen is the only one who had the will to try to change things. Of course Aizen is very egotistical, and not necessarily a nice guy, but he might be the only person in Bleach who actually is fighting for the right cause.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums