• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertanFarmGirl

Jun 25, 2008
✟15,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been suffering from depression for four months now and have had occasional anxiety attacks for a few years. I keep having thoughts about hurting myself, I've tryed to cut myself once, but God stopped me. I cannot make these thoughts go away and I've been seeing these horrid pictures of pets dying really bad deaths and suff like that. A couple nights ago I kept having this feeling about breaking my hand.
Does anyone have any advise to offer? I'm trying to set up an appointment with my pastor and he is trying to set up counseling for me.

Bamboo_Chicken

Once a Steffi, forever a Bamboo Chicken
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
I think the counselling is a really good idea :hug:. In terms of any other advice, do you have someone close to you (and who you trust) who you'd be able to call when you're triggered, and who could hold you accountable?

Upvote 0

anberlinfan

That guy I know
Feb 17, 2008
Ireland
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the counselling is a really good idea :hug:. In terms of any other advice, do you have someone close to you (and who you trust) who you'd be able to call when you're triggered, and who could hold you accountable?

Ditto all the way. I especially recommend talking to a close friend, who will keep it to themselves, and will be there whenever you feel down and tempted.

:hug:

Upvote 0

brokenwings27

Jun 16, 2007
Michigan, USA
✟15,287.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i think its great that you are setting up an appointment with your pastor.. but definately have someone that you can get ahold of anytime, when that feeling does return... for over a year i went without talking to a single person about my cutting, and it was just horrible feeling so trapped.. and then i finally opened up to someone who i can basically reach 24/7 whenever im feeling it.. but you're doin more than i ever did.. getting couselling, so i think your doing the right thing...

Upvote 0

AlbertanFarmGirl

Jun 25, 2008
✟15,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i think its great that you are setting up an appointment with your pastor.. but definately have someone that you can get ahold of anytime, when that feeling does return... for over a year i went without talking to a single person about my cutting, and it was just horrible feeling so trapped.. and then i finally opened up to someone who i can basically reach 24/7 whenever im feeling it.. but you're doin more than i ever did.. getting couselling, so i think your doing the right thing...

I found out today that I am not getting counseling, my mom will not even let me leave the house. I do not really have anyone who I can just call out of the blue, it is horrid feeling trapped. I try to pray through it, God is obviously listening as I have never carried through with anything so far, but it takes so long to go away and it is so horrible some times.
Thank you everyone for responding.

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

Sorry to hear about the inner pain that you are experiencing. Overcoming the pain takes much work and persistence but it's not impossible. My advice? Examine and research the inner child concept. This concept has done wonders for me (I have struggled with both suicidal thoughts and self harm).

The self love and acceptance is void and it needs to be in place. Wanting to hurt yourself is from self-hatred and shame. The inner child needs to be loved, protected and accepted BY YOU.

Healing the inner child will most likely heal you. :)

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Praying for you, dear one.
I find when I can't talk to anyone about things, writing helps... it's a safe release for all the things you are feeling... and, for me, it's the only place I can really be open...
If you use strong paper, you can wash the words away when you are done... that helps too :)
God bless you, sweetie :hug:

Upvote 0

Cephas0248

Sep 6, 2008
✟15,132.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Counseling and accountability is definately a great idea. Don't go it alone.
When you feel that way, try to reflect upon how Christ died for you the way He did so that you wouldn't have to suffer like that. At times this has really moved me. Also, something I do to help when I get triggered by something is to look up verses (before hand) concerning strength, courage, God's love, etc. and memorize the verse. Then, repeat it to yourself and focus on it and its truth. If you're thinking about the verse, chances are you're not thinking about hurting yourself. I don't know. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.