• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anxiety, Panic & Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes...keep going, don't stop...that's what Satan wants...he wants you to cower in a corner and scream alone...but seek out friends...talk to a counselor or get on some meds or both, that's what I'm doing...and it has helped. Keep striving towards the prize, don't let go of Christ and get the book by Brennan Manning called "Abba's Child."

Reactions: Isserty_Dawn
Upvote 0
Yes, I currently am not going regularly and that is one part why. I am spiritually active away from the "church" though trying to work through this. I make myself go places as well. It just confuses me why the one place you should feel safe in (church) I do not. I get frustrated in letting a nervous system glitch control me. I really hate the thought of having to use meds. I was given them before and never liked the way they made me feel. Please pray for me, I'll be praying for you.:prayer:

Upvote 0

twosteppin

They didn't have you where I come from
Dec 24, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio
✟18,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I had a panic attack at Mass the other week. It wasn't too bad. You couldn't have known if you were just looking at me. Though, I have obsessive compulsive disorder, so its when I get those irrational thoughts and fears that trigger panic attacks. They never just come out of nowhere for me.
keep going to Church . Once you stop, the harder it will be for you to go back. I stopped reading the Bible because I use to get panic attacks from just doing that.
I know now that it was a mistake.
My best advice...pray. even when you think you are not being answered right away. God knows us better than we know ourselves, and he always has our best interest at heart.

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find that church is particularly hard on my anxiety because it's full of strange people (who might judge me if I don't act properly) and I have to sit through music I don't like AND I'm expected to pay attention for 90 minutes STRAIGHT!

That sort of setting easily leads to feeling trapped or just wiggly! Add to that Satan's work against our praying and worshipping in groups, and it's all but impossible!

As for solutions, find a church where you really are comfortable. Don't judge by denominations but go "church shopping" and find a church that seems lead by Christ (most important) and where you can more easily connect with their worship or teaching.

Also, I find the BEST way to attack anxiety in church is to get involved with the church. You don't have to join long-term ministries, but go to some of the events during the week. Find a Bible study! If your current church doesn't have any of that, find one that does. Having panic attacks in church isn't fatal, and it doesn't have to be permenant, but in order to fight it, you need help from WITHIN the church.

Find a place where you feel more comfortable and don't feel like you're out of place. In the end, it's not the particular demonination or preacher that makes a church, but the family that's in it. Find a family you could be a part of, and get involved!

Sometimes I STILL have to leave church to get some space and a little peace, but my church has video feeds to the outer room, so it's PERFECT for when I can't sit in the sanctuary! Also, finding a friend or two I can sit with makes it much less difficult to remain peaceful.

Upvote 0

Live4theLord

May 14, 2004
✟16,420.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I, too, have problems with going to church because of anxiety attacks. I have not been to church in almost a year because even the thought of going throws me into an anxiety attack. I used to go most Sundays and really liked the service. I do miss the sermons and such very much but I just can't go. Even the last Sunday before our pastor moved, I couldn't go to his last service. He was a wonderful pastor, but I just couldn't go. I may not go to church but I do live a spiritual life. I live the best that I can and I know God understands what I am going through.

I agree with DMB233. Continue to go to church. It is much harder to go back once you quit going. I was able to go back for awhile but because of family issues I wasn't able to go a few Sunday's in a row and now I can't seem to go back. Try to continue to go. I'll be lifting prayers for you and all the others here.

God Bless,
Charity

Upvote 0

Lena75

Aug 11, 2004
✟21,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I used to have panic attacks going to church. I did it mostly to please my parents, although I didn't really like it. So if hubby and I "skipped" a Sunday here and there it would be no big deal, right? Wrong. It got to the point where if we were not in church, my mom would call me up Monday morning and want an explanation. Finally, that did it. We switched churches. In the other church I felt I was being judged and "accounted" for for every move I made or every word I said. In our new church now, I feel so accepted and I haven't had any bad anxiety attacks. One day I felt it coming again. I just focused even harder on the pastor and the sermon. That worked! I know Satan has his evil ways of trying to stray people from church. "I have a headache. I worked hard all week." There's always lame excuses. The only excuse should be is, I'm very sick and it's very contagious!

Upvote 0

Rosa Mystica

I'm not like the others.
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,114.00
DMB233 said:
I had a panic attack at Mass the other week. It wasn't too bad. You couldn't have known if you were just looking at me. Though, I have obsessive compulsive disorder, so its when I get those irrational thoughts and fears that trigger panic attacks. They never just come out of nowhere for me.
keep going to Church . Once you stop, the harder it will be for you to go back. I stopped reading the Bible because I use to get panic attacks from just doing that.
I know now that it was a mistake.
My best advice...pray. even when you think you are not being answered right away. God knows us better than we know ourselves, and he always has our best interest at heart.

Your post makes me think of myself. I have scrupulosity, a form of OCD revolving around sin/morals. It caused me to have a slight anxiety attack at Mass a few weeks ago (I have become convinced that I am extremely sinful, and that other members of the congregation can "see" my filthy, sinful soul). As much as I love the word of God, I have become conscious of the fact that I actually dread going to Mass (due to the whole anxiety thing).

Surely you must all be judging me now. :sigh:

Upvote 0

twosteppin

Dec 24, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio
✟18,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rosa Mystica said:
Your post makes me think of myself. I have scrupulosity, a form of OCD revolving around sin/morals. It caused me to have a slight anxiety attack at Mass a few weeks ago (I have become convinced that I am extremely sinful, and that other members of the congregation can "see" my filthy, sinful soul). As much as I love the word of God, I have become conscious of the fact that I actually dread going to Mass (due to the whole anxiety thing).

Surely you must all be judging me now. :sigh:

Hi Rosa Mystica!

I know what you are talking about. Scrupulosity (OCD) is the most harmful when it hits us at a very important part of our lives, Mass. I find the more focused I am, the less my worries and irrational fears show their ugly heads. This is one issue where stubborness can work to our advantage. I will not let stupied OCD keep me from going to, and loving Mass. You will be in my prayers! As everyone here is. PM me if you wanna chat about OCD, Mass, or anything and everything! A great blessing God has given me is the oppritunity to talk to others that know what I am going through, and know exactly what I am talking about. God bless

Upvote 0

Godsgirl481

The Dark Wolf
Jul 13, 2004
✟20,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oh my gosh....I thought that I was alone on this one. I can't go to church alone. I made a scene once where I was shaking and throwing up. I have never been to a church alone again. it is full of a lot of strange people that could hurt me....especially men. I can usually deal with the panic and keep it inside if it is a small church and no one tries to touch me...but who has been to a church that someone didn't at least shake their hand? I don't like being touched and church people can't understand that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rosa Mystica

I'm not like the others.
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,114.00
DMB233 said:
Hi Rosa Mystica!

I know what you are talking about. Scrupulosity (OCD) is the most harmful when it hits us at a very important part of our lives, Mass. I find the more focused I am, the less my worries and irrational fears show their ugly heads. This is one issue where stubborness can work to our advantage. I will not let stupied OCD keep me from going to, and loving Mass. You will be in my prayers! As everyone here is. PM me if you wanna chat about OCD, Mass, or anything and everything! A great blessing God has given me is the oppritunity to talk to others that know what I am going through, and know exactly what I am talking about. God bless

DMB233,

I'm glad to hear that you can identify. Thanks for reaching out to me. I might just take you up on your offer. I'm assuming you're also a scrupulant (as opposed to an OCD sufferer of another kind)?

Again, thank you, and God bless.

Upvote 0

twosteppin

Dec 24, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio
✟18,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rosa Mystica said:
DMB233,

I'm glad to hear that you can identify. Thanks for reaching out to me. I might just take you up on your offer. I'm assuming you're also a scrupulant (as opposed to an OCD sufferer of another kind)?

Again, thank you, and God bless.

Hi!

You assume correct, most of my obessive thoughts/fears are religious in nature. It is those thoughts and fears that trigger panic attacks. Though, some obsessions/compulsives have nothing to do with my faith ( having to check things over and over again, having to redo something because it was not done "just right" counting things, etc...)
scrupulosity is nasty, and I have had some weird obessive thoughts/themes. I remember seeing a list of what some people obsessed about and crying with relief that I wasnt the only one who had those odd, irrational fears. I was just amazed, because as Cliche as it sounds, I really thought that I was the only one who worried about things like this. I would be more than happy to share some of my religious fears and obsessions , just PM me if you wish.

Upvote 0

Rosa Mystica

I'm not like the others.
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,114.00
DMB233 said:
Hi!

You assume correct, most of my obessive thoughts/fears are religious in nature. It is those thoughts and fears that trigger panic attacks. Though, some obsessions/compulsives have nothing to do with my faith ( having to check things over and over again, having to redo something because it was not done "just right" counting things, etc...)
scrupulosity is nasty, and I have had some weird obessive thoughts/themes. I remember seeing a list of what some people obsessed about and crying with relief that I wasnt the only one who had those odd, irrational fears. I was just amazed, because as Cliche as it sounds, I really thought that I was the only one who worried about things like this. I would be more than happy to share some of my religious fears and obsessions , just PM me if you wish.

God bless you!!!!!!!! :hug: If I may ask, where did you come upon this list?

Upvote 0

AudioArtist

AudioArtist
Jul 8, 2003
London
✟5,287.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Yes!
I almost lost my faith because whenever I thought about religious issues/God/Hell etc. I got depression and panick attacks. I'm not sure what to do about it to be honest. Strangely in opposition to this, if my faith ever goes down, I get very depressed and have to "work it up" to feel good again. I have to be 100% sure there is a God, otherwise I get depressed (not as in "sad" depressed, I mean crying-you-eyes-out, horrible, completely irrational depressed...) So it's like a prison-I can't think about religion because otherwise I get obsessive and critical and doubts flood in, but then again if I try and forget about religion and get on with life, I feel like I'm abandoning my faith! I just want to have a simple faith, and get on with life.

Can anyone with anything similar PM me. Please.

Upvote 0

twosteppin

Dec 24, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio
✟18,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rosa Mystica said:
God bless you!!!!!!!! :hug: If I may ask, where did you come upon this list?

God bless you as well!

Here are some great links.

http://understanding_ocd.tripod.com/ocd_symptoms.html <--- That is the list I was talking about. The part of religious obsessions is pretty general. Some of the stuff, I was like, "that is soo me!"

here is a guys testimony of OCD, it is very interesting, and heart wrenching. if you like his story, feel free to email him. he is a very nice guy!......

http://www.geocities.com/rinkjustice1/ocd.htm

http://www.thereisocdhope.com/
another great site! with interesting articles and testimonys

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

forgivenmuch

christ is the answer
Aug 21, 2004
✟8,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i had very bad panic and anxiety attacks at church.. it was very hard to go to church for me. i was the paino player i sing alot in church. i struggled with severe anxiety while i was playing or singing. i dont know how i got thru it. i remember one night.. i was feeling that feeling of being tired and wore out. when going to church on sunday morn and then returning sunday night... i am usually beat. and my anxiety level would be at a higher level .. well i was playing the paino one sunday night.. i had a bad one.. i could not even play.. the audiance was like what is she doing.. i got up went to my paster and said.. i need prayer now.. well he prayed and i went back to my piano ..and played..it was very imbarressing to me .. i felt ashamed..i felt like people would think i was not a christian.. and i was not trusting in God .. i was in prayer so much... i prayed for deliverance all the time.. i seek God about it.. i knew that i was the paino player..and i had to overcome this. i tried talking to my pastor about why i was having them ... he would not listen..
i should of known then something was wrong.. there was about 100 people in our congregation.. it was small... still you have those people that will talk about you no matter what you are doing.. some people are there just for a show.. i eventually stopped going to church , i felt why should i beat myself up like this... it was a struggle every time i went to church. i was in a pentacostal church.. i thought..they are going to think i have a demon are something.. you think all kinds of things when you are at home.. i still struggle every now and then with anxiety.. i can over come it now to which 4 yrs ago i could not. i was afraid to even go out of my safe place..which was my home.. i was in deep depression also.. it all comes together.. i went to counsling ..and that helped.. i had to get to the root of my problem and what was causing them.. there is something in you ..that you have held back..i bought the lucinda bassett program.. and that really helped..it help me to see..alot.. she is really a good teacher on the subject..i would suggest anyone that is going thru anxiety and panic attacks to get her program..you can buy it off e-bay alot cheaper than buying from her.. its your lifestyle..how you was raised.. what kind of parents you have... and much more... i dont have anxiety and panic attacks today..i know how to control them if i ever feel it trying to come on me.. i know how you feel... its a dailey struggle while going thru this.. but you can overcome ..i have .. and i went thru this for about 7 to 8 yrs.. that was way to long.. i accepted that i had anxiety.. and then i could deal with it.. its a normal feeling to have fear.. but to live in it is not. if you want help and overcome this.. get to the root .it will take time..but understand that your healing will come.. may God bless you

Upvote 0

Busybee

As For Me And My House We Will Serve The Lord
Aug 17, 2004
TN
Visit site
✟2,281.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Until I got brave and fed up enough to go to the doc, I certainly did have problems going to church, out shopping, and anywhere. My doc currently has me on 20mg of paxil. I have social phobia, OCD, and depression. The paxil has me back to my old self and I love to talk to people and be around them (at one time I always felt awkward even having a conversation with someone I didn't know well).

I can tell the difference if I miss several days of it because being around too many people makes me feel suffocated and on edge.

Getting on the meds coupled with being able to have a clear mind to worship God has improved my walk with Him.

I certainly feel your turmoil though.

Upvote 0

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've never been to church because of my SA :(
Just haven't bee able to face walking in there and seeing so many people who I've never met before..combined with the fact I've never been to a church service ever and I don't know what to expect or even what to wear (I worry about silly things) just makes me anxious and panicky at the thought.

Upvote 0

SkyAngel

Aug 31, 2004
✟180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
:wave: I also suffer from scrupulosity and religious OCD. I struggle with compulsions and obsessions that I feel no one else can possibly have and always think God will judge me. Your posts have encouraged me to share my experience.

If I miss Mass on weekends, I struggle with terrible condemnation and I have to constantly go to confession even though I believe in Scripture that we are forgiven according to 1 John 1:9 and that salvation is not dependent on going to church or missing a service. Then when I go to confession, I get assigned a "penance" usually to pray 1 our Father and then I have to do it several times to make sure I did it right.

My worst problem is I like going to the Catholic Church but I am a bible based christian and I struggle with compusion regarding rosaries. I am embarrased to admit this, but I feel I am "selling" my sould if I have any pictures of Jesus, Mary or rosaries in my house, yet as soon as I get rid of them, I have to acquire more of them, like some sick obsession. My husband is Catholic so we always have his rosaries in the house and I can't shake myself of this problem. I've tried everything from deliverance prayers to medication and nothing is working. I can't seem to get any peace and this compulsion get's in the way of a productive prayer life with the Lord.

Does anyone out there relate to anything like this? :scratch: :confused: I want to be free of this problem. Just today I donated my rosaries to a local church but I still felt compelled to go to Mass because I was passing by the church. I am really a bible-based Christian who doesn't believe in the church's teachings that are not based on the bible yet I still have this compulsion.

I hope I can pray for you and encourage you as you have encouraged me with your posts in sharing our struggles. Please pray for me and any suggestions would be welcome!

God bless!:amen:

Reactions: ShilohCity
Upvote 0

twosteppin

Dec 24, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio
✟18,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi Skyangle

I mean not to start a theology debate, But may I suggest you visit the OBOB forum. There are some wonderful Catholics there to answer or clear up misconceptions you may have about the Church. Catholicism is biblically based. :)
Sounds like you may suffer from Scrupolosity, a religious form of OCD.
You will be in my prayers. God bless you!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.