Anxiety attack

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I return to work tonight after having 6 weeks off post surgery. The cause of the problem is gone but not the pain related to it. I have a physical therapy appointment scheduled to try to get my muscles balanced again which will hopefully minimize the pain issues. However, I can't afford to be off work any longer so I am going back. At the moment, the pain is being managed but my stomach is doing flipflops out of worry if I can still do the job. The job itself has enough anxiety without adding new issues. Getting old stinks. If anyone has a moment, please pray that I get through the next twelve hours and hopefully, feel good enough to do another shift tomorrow night. Thx.

Fumbling_Foo

in search of True Knowledge and how to REMEMBER IT
Dec 12, 2017
Mississippi, USA
✟8,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Blessings and prayers that tonight will go well for you and you will be able to continue work :). Don't push yourself too hard if yours wounds from surgery haven't fully healed, and get help from your co-workers every chance you get :)!

Upvote 0

NurseAbigail

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2017
NC
✟48,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Dear Father In Heaven, give strength to her as she returns to work. Give her a good shift, light pt load. I pray all anxiety would cease, You are present with her always. Remove the physical pain she is feeling and may her muscles gain their normal function, heal every muscle fiber, may proper muscle movements be restored, may pain cease. Rejuvinate her. You are not a respector of age, You heal both the young and the old. Use her mightily in her workplace that she may continue to bring Glory to You as she serves her patients with skills You have given her. Protect her during her shifts, give her wisdom, helpful coworkers, kind doctors, but most of all give her the strength to lift up and help the sick recover. In Jesus name, Amen.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, you take care of patients? Now you can feel for them, because you have been through your own medical things :)

And possibly it will be important how you do the therapy things your medical people say you need to do; I mean things you need to do, yourself, while you are not at your therapy appointments.

If you are working a twelve-hour shift it might be helpful to do certain therapy things at times during those twelve hours . . . whatever the medical people say is good . . . so your therapy things are ongoing and consistent while you are not actually in an appointment. So, I would say make sure you get your directions right for what you need to do, yourself, and in the right timing. It might be good to have your doctor notify your employment place and supervisor and other workers of how you will need to stop work, at times, to do your therapy activities.

I hope and pray you have people who are good with you, about this.

Meanwhile, stay in shape with loving and prayer :) caring about others.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Just prayed for you, sis.

Hope you're resting up as I post this (what with the time difference). Do take it easy, I know our employers do not appreciate that your body needs just a little more than 6 weeks but God willing you've healed enough to get through your shifts. :hug:

Reactions: Kindled
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Thank you all. I actually had a pretty good night and God provided a fairly light load.

Nursing isn't a job where you can take time to do therapy. I have days where I don't even get a break and sometimes don't even get to eat. To step off the unit means someone else has to care for my patients on top of theirs. Most days I can't even get everything done I need to do. The only way to come back to work as a hospital RN like I am is to come back without limitations. A limitation means you stay on sick leave and I can't live on my short term disability pay anymore. I am interested to see what the physical therapist suggests.

If I am not being too greedy, I am schedule to go back tonight...so another quick prayer would be appreciated. It certainly worked last night. I have volunteered for a special kind of patient that requires a lot of attention but means a minimal patient load and less walking all over the unit.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I will continue to pray.

Have you considered looking for a less strenuous nursing position, or do you plan to push through and try to continue in your current job?

I am a single mother of two college age kids (expensive). I need the higher pay and the insurance offered by this job at this time. I also like the patients I care for. I have been praying for about a year about considering leaving but no doors have opened. I am hoping that maybe my body will heal so that pain isn't an issue anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I did okay. I suspect that I can make it as long as I don't have 3 days in a row. That 2nd night was more typical of the sort of awful assignment that our unit sort of expects anymore. After being off 6 weeks, we had 2 new nurses working independently I had never met and other than myself and the charge nurse, the entire nursing staff was nurses who had been working in a hospital for less than one year. One nurse needed to call a rapid response for a potential stroke and another nurse had to call a rapid response for a patient whose oxygen levels kept falling really low. We had some sick patients. I ended up with a patient that was excessively nasty if she didn't think I brought her pain meds fast enough ("You are 15 minutes LATE!" ... I wasn't and her pain level wasn't real high by her own admission). Worst part is she claimed to be a nurse but I am not sure because she seemed to lack a lot of knowledge ... like how pain med distribution and shift changed worked . I wanted to tell her that although she was uncomfortable (and on her way to a narcotic addiction for a relatively minor issue), that I had another nurse as a patient who was basically dying of cancer at a very young age who was actually a very pleasant patient although being sick and in real pain. While the one patient was acting like she was the sickest patient on the floor, the one dying of cancer was telling me about her plans for volunteering in the NICU when her cancer was better.....

Why do people have to be A-holes to us? We can only care for one person at a time and we aren't private duty nurses. My "15 minutes late" was actually AFTER my shift was over and I was just making sure her pain meds didn't get lost in the hubbub of shift change. I bit my tongue, apologized, and smiled as we are expected to do. Her response was to actually about have a breakdown over another med that wasn't due yet because I couldn't give it early since I had to wait for pharmacy to sent it up....and really doesn't do that much (I take it personally and it isn't for pain.) ...(can I add, in a normal situation, I would have probably spread her meds out a bit longer because she seemed a bit high and we are supposed to manage pain without letting our patients get high.)

And my assistant manager decided to change my patient assignment in the middle of the shift meaning that I had 4 new patients that I hadn't met assigned to me at 3am. Luckily, I had the sickest one the night before so I understood her issues...but I had one patient that I never met because she slept the rest of the shift. I am glad she didn't have an emergency issue because I would have been clueless on what was "normal" for her. I also still did some things for two of the patients I had prior because I knew them better than their new nurse did.

OK...sorry, I needed to vent. I love my job. I love my patients. I don't like that often budget (under the label "policy") is used to make decisions instead of what is best for the patients or the staff. The stress level of taking on patients who are sleeping at 3am is significant because you have no sense of what their normal is...so it means we might miss something that I'd never miss normally. I take my job very seriously and would have a hard time living with myself if someone was harmed because I missed a change in status.

Today, I ache ... even in my fingers. My physical therapy assessment showed I do have a significant muscle imbalance and mobility between my left leg/hip and right leg/hip. However, I believe that can be improved with therapy.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I did okay. I suspect that I can make it as long as I don't have 3 days in a row. That 2nd night was more typical of the sort of awful assignment that our unit sort of expects anymore. After being off 6 weeks, we had 2 new nurses working independently I had never met and other than myself and the charge nurse, the entire nursing staff was nurses who had been working in a hospital for less than one year. One nurse needed to call a rapid response for a potential stroke and another nurse had to call a rapid response for a patient whose oxygen levels kept falling really low. We had some sick patients. I ended up with a patient that was excessively nasty if she didn't think I brought her pain meds fast enough ("You are 15 minutes LATE!" ... I wasn't and her pain level wasn't real high by her own admission). Worst part is she claimed to be a nurse but I am not sure because she seemed to lack a lot of knowledge ... like how pain med distribution and shift changed worked . I wanted to tell her that although she was uncomfortable (and on her way to a narcotic addiction for a relatively minor issue), that I had another nurse as a patient who was basically dying of cancer at a very young age who was actually a very pleasant patient although being sick and in real pain. While the one patient was acting like she was the sickest patient on the floor, the one dying of cancer was telling me about her plans for volunteering in the NICU when her cancer was better.....

Why do people have to be A-holes to us? We can only care for one person at a time and we aren't private duty nurses. My "15 minutes late" was actually AFTER my shift was over and I was just making sure her pain meds didn't get lost in the hubbub of shift change. I bit my tongue, apologized, and smiled as we are expected to do. Her response was to actually about have a breakdown over another med that wasn't due yet because I couldn't give it early since I had to wait for pharmacy to sent it up....and really doesn't do that much (I take it personally and it isn't for pain.) ...(can I add, in a normal situation, I would have probably spread her meds out a bit longer because she seemed a bit high and we are supposed to manage pain without letting our patients get high.)

And my assistant manager decided to change my patient assignment in the middle of the shift meaning that I had 4 new patients that I hadn't met assigned to me at 3am. Luckily, I had the sickest one the night before so I understood her issues...but I had one patient that I never met because she slept the rest of the shift. I am glad she didn't have an emergency issue because I would have been clueless on what was "normal" for her. I also still did some things for two of the patients I had prior because I knew them better than their new nurse did.

OK...sorry, I needed to vent. I love my job. I love my patients. I don't like that often budget (under the label "policy") is used to make decisions instead of what is best for the patients or the staff. The stress level of taking on patients who are sleeping at 3am is significant because you have no sense of what their normal is...so it means we might miss something that I'd never miss normally. I take my job very seriously and would have a hard time living with myself if someone was harmed because I missed a change in status.

Today, I ache ... even in my fingers. My physical therapy assessment showed I do have a significant muscle imbalance and mobility between my left leg/hip and right leg/hip. However, I believe that can be improved with therapy.
Oh my goodness, this sounds like my sister who is back to doing wards in a NHS hospital. She was a district nurse for a private company prior which involved visiting patients at home to manage their pain whilst recovering at home. But the driving caused her to have physical problems and she went back to working in just one place.

She's currently doing nights and your post could have been written by her.

Keeping you lifted in prayer :hug: :hug:

Upvote 0