Antisocial Personality Disorders

T

ToBeBlessed

Antisocial and psychopath are used interchangeably.

Traits of these people.

Let's define then, because there is NO WAY these two are used interchangeably.

Merriam Webster Dictionary

Antisocial
an·ti·so·cial adjective \ˌan-tē-ˈsō-shəl, ˌan-ˌtī-\

: violent or harmful to people
: not friendly to other people

Psychopath
psy·cho·path noun \ˈsī-kə-ˌpath\

: a person who is mentally ill, who does not care about other people, and who is usually dangerous or violent

Antisocial is often used to describe people who are not social, such the 'anti'. This word is used in society to describe people who are not social. They may be introverts.

Psychopath is a very specific mental illness condition with very specific attributes.

Note that mental illness was not mentioned in the definition of antisocial because this word is an 'adjective' which describes a behavior that can be as simple as not attending gatherings.

Note also that psychopath is a noun. It is a person, place or thing. Specific to an individual.

Let's start using these words as they are defined instead of a plethora of misinformation.

I hope the OP and others will now further explain their positions using the proper words.

Sorry if this is harsh, but I have a family member who has a mental illness so this is a soft point in my heart.

Upvote 0

least

To God be the Glory!
Dec 20, 2011
✟13,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In addition to my previous post, I thought I would offer some practical ways in which one with a social disorder may serve God:

1. Love God/love others (Matthew 22:34-40). Obedience to God is a manifestation of our love for him. As such, we should know what he wants us to do and so we must be devoted to studying and meditating on his word. When we see something in the Bible and feel the Spirit leading us to a response we will obey him. We know that God will never have us do anything that he has not empowered us to do.

2. Prayer ministry. This is what I have encouraged elderly members of the church to do who could not get out of their homes much. And what a high and holy calling it is; without prayer warriors, many Churches are struggling to be effective for God!

3. Writing letters of encouragement. Chances are that most people you know need encouragement is one way or another. (God often uses our encouragement to others to encourage us!)

4. Go to a Bible believing/teaching church. Yes, this is way out of your comfort zone! But you need to part of what God is doing in a local Church. I am not saying to go to every event or feel like you have to shake everybody’s hand. But go, and listen to what the needs are in your community so that you can pray for them. Go, and understand that God has called some people to be extroverts who can “Go” out to the world with God’s message, even if you cannot; and support the work of the Church financially if you are able.

5. Acts of service. Is there an elderly person in your community who needs help with yard work or house cleaning? Maybe there is a need in your Church that can be met when everyone is absent. God has gifted you in one way or another, use that for his glory!

These are just some ideas, and I realize I don’t know all the details about everyone’s struggles. I do know that we are all useful for God and he desires to use us in many ways. Are there others reading this post who struggle with social disorders? If so, what have you done to serve God and others? Remember the words of Paul, when he had a difficulty,

“Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Corinthians 12:8-10, ESV). Amen!

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

In addition to my previous post, I thought I would offer some practical ways in which one with a social disorder may serve God:

1. Love God/love others (Matthew 22:34-40). Obedience to God is a manifestation of our love for him. As such, we should know what he wants us to do and so we must be devoted to studying and meditating on his word. When we see something in the Bible and feel the Spirit leading us to a response we will obey him. We know that God will never have us do anything that he has not empowered us to do.

2. Prayer ministry. This is what I have encouraged elderly members of the church to do who could not get out of their homes much. And what a high and holy calling it is; without prayer warriors, many Churches are struggling to be effective for God!

3. Writing letters of encouragement. Chances are that most people you know need encouragement is one way or another. (God often uses our encouragement to others to encourage us!)

4. Go to a Bible believing/teaching church. Yes, this is way out of your comfort zone! But you need to part of what God is doing in a local Church. I am not saying to go to every event or feel like you have to shake everybody’s hand. But go, and listen to what the needs are in your community so that you can pray for them. Go, and understand that God has called some people to be extroverts who can “Go” out to the world with God’s message, even if you cannot; and support the work of the Church financially if you are able.

5. Acts of service. Is there an elderly person in your community who needs help with yard work or house cleaning? Maybe there is a need in your Church that can be met when everyone is absent. God has gifted you in one way or another, use that for his glory!

These are just some ideas, and I realize I don’t know all the details about everyone’s struggles. I do know that we are all useful for God and he desires to use us in many ways. Are there others reading this post who struggle with social disorders? If so, what have you done to serve God and others? Remember the words of Paul, when he had a difficulty,

“Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Corinthians 12:8-10, ESV). Amen!

This is a great list. Thanks for sharing it.

Upvote 0

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Because they want to know? They never said they were and needed reassurance, they just asked if anyone knows how God handles such, I'd assume they mean are there any scriptural references for such to back up what someone they know told them.

I'd also suspect since they have that German flag English might not be their native language and could be cause for some confusion on either end.

ryanmercer....I was opposing what the other guy said. I felt in no way she was excluded from the Kingdom....Further I know all the traits I've read on sociopath.......She has only commented on two post so maybe it's just a Anti-Social thing and not being violent or conning people into thinking she is good when she is really awful.....

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A good book to get a handle on sociopathy is the popular The Sociopath That Lives Next Door.

I would never say that ALL sociopaths go to hell, but I doubt very few of them would given their mental constitution. Making a list of hoops for the sociopath to jump through (church,bible study,loving God,good community works) are all things they are NOT interested unless they know a way of exploiting others in that context.

Remember: they cannot love,or feel empathy. They could have a nice conversation with you and in the next second stab a knife in your heart with nary an increase in their pulse. Frankly,I avoid these people at all costs;they will bleed you dry and spit you out going to the next victim.

Here's another interesting situation I personally went through. About 30 years ago I had a stepdaughter that at 14 ended up in a psych ward. She was diagnosed as a multiple personality(dissociative disorder,NOT sociopath). She had 6 personalities,one of which was a satanist,one was a lesbian. My question became--what if one personality got saved but the others didn't. Would she go to heaven 5/6ths of her unrepentant. Perplexing.

Upvote 0

Kayeliz

Oct 5, 2012
✟16,710.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow, that is extreme. Where do you get your ideas from?
There is not just one type of sociopath and not just the extreme. Leave the judging to God, please. It is awful how Christians like to judge those with mental health problems. Why? Don't you think God sees how and in what way even a sociopath might be able to follow him?

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

Here's another interesting situation I personally went through. About 30 years ago I had a stepdaughter that at 14 ended up in a psych ward. She was diagnosed as a multiple personality(dissociative disorder,NOT sociopath). She had 6 personalities,one of which was a satanist,one was a lesbian. My question became--what if one personality got saved but the others didn't. Would she go to heaven 5/6ths of her unrepentant. Perplexing.

In the specific situation that you mentioned, I think that if she gave her heart to the Lord and repented that the Holy Spirit would reside in her as it resides in All who have been born again. I don't think that God would make any different requirements of her than he has of us single personality sinners. I think the Holy Spirit would 'gently nudge' her other personalities to the faith, but if the other personalities (the other 5) never came to belief, I dont think that would hinder her from heaven. As long as that one personality believed.

Interesting scenario.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's a tough one,part of her definitely was a satanist(I met it when I visited in the psych ward,demonic-like and scary) and the lesbian was constant as was the 2yr old girl. So ALL of her did not come to Christ. After her 3rd psych hospital I had the PhDs ask ME if I thought she was demon possessed or a multiple. I replied that I had let it go,and I don't know after tons of research and interviewing born again satanists.

As far as sociopaths,I don't think you have just a little of it. Read the book! She estimates that 1:25 of population is sociopathic. That doesn't mean they all go out and kill people. They are in business,politics,the clergy where they can exploit people with a good rest at night. Bernie Madoff may be one of them. They are conscious they are doing wrong but don't care who they hurt to get what they want. We need to be educated to avoid these evil people,otherwise you'll hook up with a Jodi Arias and become another shiscabob.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's define then, because there is NO WAY these two are used interchangeably.

Merriam Webster Dictionary

Antisocial
an·ti·so·cial adjective \ˌan-tē-ˈsō-shəl, ˌan-ˌtī-\

: violent or harmful to people
: not friendly to other people

Psychopath
psy·cho·path noun \ˈsī-kə-ˌpath\

: a person who is mentally ill, who does not care about other people, and who is usually dangerous or violent

Antisocial is often used to describe people who are not social, such the 'anti'. This word is used in society to describe people who are not social. They may be introverts.

Psychopath is a very specific mental illness condition with very specific attributes.

Note that mental illness was not mentioned in the definition of antisocial because this word is an 'adjective' which describes a behavior that can be as simple as not attending gatherings.

Note also that psychopath is a noun. It is a person, place or thing. Specific to an individual.

Let's start using these words as they are defined instead of a plethora of misinformation.

I hope the OP and others will now further explain their positions using the proper words.

Sorry if this is harsh, but I have a family member who has a mental illness so this is a soft point in my heart.

The OP is not asking about those who are antisocial. It is asking about those with Antisocial Personality Disorders which is defined in Merriam's as:

": a personality disorder that is characterized by antisocial behavior exhibiting pervasive disregard for and violation of the rights, feelings, and safety of others starting in childhood or the early teenage years and continuing into adulthood, that is often marked by a lack of remorse for having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from others, and that in practice is often difficult to diagnose because it is confounded with disorders in which drug addiction or substance abuse is a factor—called also psychopathic personality disorder"

Upvote 0

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
If that where true. Than I think a lot of drug users including myself would of never came to the Cross. Yes I'm sorry for using drugs and stealing from people but I don't hold in guilt a human guilt that only produces oppression. I know God has forgiven me of all those things. Now I deal with sin in my own life now because I want to be linked up with the Lord knowing that I am doing His will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If that where true. Than I think a lot of drug users including myself would of never came to the Cross. Yes I'm sorry for using drugs and stealing from people but I don't hold in guilt a human guilt that only produces oppression. I know God has forgiven me of all those things. Now I deal with sin in my own life now because I want to be linked up with the Lord knowing that I am doing His will.

Was this to me?

The definition of ASPD mentions complications due to drug use, but that doesn't mean that all drug users qualify for a diagnosis of ASPD.

I was just trying to point out that there is a difference between saying, "I'm kinda antisocial" and saying, "I've been diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder". The first is a term we use to describe our level of desire to interact with others, the second is a term that is defined by a specific list of symptoms in the DSM, and that list of symptoms is essentially interchangeable with the definition of psycopathy.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting,this was fun to research. Though there exists a HUGE overlap between the sociopath and ASPD there are slight differences.

The sociopath may be able to have some empathy for family/loved ones. That means they still have no problem raping/killing us without conscience.

It was also noted that psychiatrists called it ASPD if they leaned toward a stronger genetic origin but sociopathy if it was shaded by environment.

IMHO,I think they're close enough to use either in a discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums