Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I believe it is possible to debate with respect for your opponent and to say, “Yes, but …” without attacking their character or questioning their motives. I believe it is possible to conted without being contentious.

I am sure Paul ~ one of the great debaters of all time whose modus operandi seemed to include debating ~ understood this and used it in good measure.

For he vigorously refuted the Jews in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ. Acts 18.28

~Jim

Even a dime held close enough to the eye can blot out the sun.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You guys just kill me. The only way to stop labeling people is to stop wearing labels. There used to be only wof labels and others. Not there's phia? whatever and whatever wharever and a new whatever coming up. Your all nits.

Um, PHIA is a belief system, not a label.

~Jim

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Um, PHIA is a belief system, not a label.

Just where did "PHIA" come from? The Initials - not the doctrine. I'm new to this board, but not to many others - I've never seen it used before here. Just curious about it's history. It seems to be unique to here.

As for the doctrine of Healing in the Atonement it is a doctrine of many Pentecostal/Charismatic denominations, not just Word of Faith.

How did this become a solo Word of Faith issue?

I'm just trying to get some understanding.

Upvote 0

GodsLittleRocker78

Sep 5, 2006
Ohio
✟16,019.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Politics
US-Republican

I believe it is possible to debate with respect for your opponent and to say, “Yes, but …” without attacking their character or questioning their motives. I believe it is possible to conted without being contentious.

I am sure Paul ~ one of the great debaters of all time whose modus operandi seemed to include debating ~ understood this and used it in good measure.

For he vigorously refuted the Jews in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ. Acts 18.28

~Jim

That's the way it should be done. Not hating and bashing one another.

Upvote 0

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟28,526.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
28_4_9.gif

Upvote 0

ProAmerican

Veteran
Jun 1, 2005
✟1,696.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Your use of the vernacular and lack of plain speaking.

Vernacular? Quite the contrary.

You would indeed have trouble within a university setting. If that is the case, then so be it. There are times that call for plain everyday talk and then there are times that call for a much better and more refined approach - which you should learn to appreciate.

This is our commonality - our common ground.
If you also believe that Healing is part of the Atonement, it doesn't make you more or less correct.

If you believe that God wants us to prosper financially - that doesn't make you more or less correct.

We should be attacking one another, but edifying one another.

For an example:

If you call the core teachings of the Methodist church heresy - would that not label the person, or at least their beliefs anti-Methodist?

How about a thread celebrating what makes us similar instead of pointing out our differences?

Ah, appealing to unity. So you would call for unity with Mormons? They self-describe themselves as being Christians. So, for you to call THEM a heretic would make you a divider, not a uniter.

What then happens to your call for celebrating what makes youiand them similiar, for there are some similiarities with them and mainstream Christianity.

Yep, a red herring on your part. Spin and diversion....

See the flaws in your argument? I see them quite often.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All I can say is those who claim to be wanting "peace", look at the history of the poster and the posts they started and see how much "peace" they really want.

You mean recent threads opened by some of your friends in this forum like …
“Watchdog” ministries
Believe God wants to use sickness at times?
God Does Things We Wouldn’t Do (I believe this was your thread, vw ;) )
I bumped them for your benefit.
~Jim

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You would indeed have trouble within a university setting. If that is the case, then so be it. .

Well, gosh golly gee - someone shoulda telled me that before I graduated with my Masters - summa cum laude.

:thumbsup:

What's that green line in my signautre?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristianMuse

Oct 1, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
✟1,272.00
Faith
Christian
What use of language? What is trying to be conveyed? One talks of a university setting and the other a simpler use of the language.

I remember my pastor (and a few tv personalities) say that when they preach the gospel they use language so simple that a door knob could understand it. I think that would be appropriate if you want a church filled with door knobs. But then where would be the hinges? The lock? the frame? And what about the structure it is attached to. ;) This is a take on "if all were an eye".

Yes, at times the message should be simple, plain, clear. Yet complexity has its benifits as well. It is the difference between a simple hand drawn map and a detailed topographical map. I use both depending on circumstance. So too with language. There is a danger when the message is kept simple. There is a danger when the message is kept complicated.

In this forum we should see a representation of both.

:D

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe this is possible also. It's just a shame that most posters don't actually DO it.

:sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.