Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would like some Christian views on this:

What do Christians think of loving animals to the point of caring for them like you wld a human. ie stuff you see on Animal Planet. eg Helicopters, ambulances, doctors, scientists etc rushing to a beached whale to rescue it, load it on a truck to send it hundreds of miles to some hospital -- a lot of time, effort. money and resources just to rescue an animal. I see that some people elevate their pets to the level of humans and pamper them so much but dont show the same love to humans. Is that okay?

I believe one of the jobs assigned to Adam in the garden of eden was to care for the animals, and Noah certainly played a big part in saving animals from extinction. As with anything, there needs to be a proper balance. I think we have a duty to preserve animal life, balanced against God's permission to have dominion over them. I also believe that certain animals were intended to be domestic, and others intended to be wild.

There is nothing wrong with loving an animal. Animals can feel emotions, they communicate (in their own way), they pout, get excited, demand attention, and are good companions. In many ways they are much easier to deal with than humans. That is a seperate issue from not loving humans, we are taught by the bible to love one another, even our enemies.

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Of course as Christians we are expected to love and care for God's creation. I agree with Willis that we are to be above animals. There is nothing wrong with loving them, caring for them, and helping them when needed. For some, their pets are their family. I don't think that an animal should ever be chosen over a person. I don't think that thousands of people should be put out of work to save a squirrel or an owl.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I agree tht we are to be responsible for God's creation and have dominion over them. But what I'm seeing is animals having dominion over humans.

No offence to any pet lovers here but I just feel that too much time and money is nowadays spent on animals and to the extent that it becomes a burden. true egs I've come across:

1. I have to take emergency leave from work cos my dog is sick.
2. I have to leave this gathering early cos I have 2 puppies at home.
3. A dog bites a toddlers finger but the dog is patted n defended by its owner.
4. A couple travels from US all the way to Istanbul to save a monkey in some shop, based on a tip-off.
5. An owner contemplates whether to give expensive chemotherapy to his cancer-stricken dog.

And suppose these ppl are Christians, then I have to ask why they spend so much effort on these things but neglect the things of the kingdom of God. We always say that time is short, a world is dying and Christ is coming back soon, yet all the concern seems to be going to animals.... :scratch:

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Animals are God's creation, too. He was pleased to create them, as well as man. In fact, He put us here as stewards of the world. A steward is one who cares for the world and takes care of it, making sure that it keeps its value, and even gains in value.

Furthermore, Proverbs says that His people care even for the animals (look it up, it's really in there!).

We are to take care of people, too.

It looks like we should be really busy about our Father's work, and we should not let this life be all about us.

So, my answer is, yep, we're supposed to take care of the animals, make the world a better place, and be ready for His return, when He'll examine our work and let us know how we did.

Upvote 0

Squee

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟7,656.00
Being that they're people that need help in the world still. Such as children without food. I would rather see time, labor, and money go to helping a bunch of people than saving a beached whale or something similar.

Personally though, I had a great dog named Max who was part Chow and part Pitbull. And if I had the resources, I would have spent a lot of money to keep him around. Especially when I started suffering from depression in 6th grade. Every night I would pace for hours, thinking of how wonderful the morning was going to be. I was scared of the darkness and I was scared of being alone. It was extremely painful, I could feel physical pains in my head and stomach during the night. As the sun set I could feel the pain slowly beginning to swell in my head. When everyone started to go to bed or when visitors would go home, I could feel it coming on much stronger until I was finally by myself and it was at its peak. This wasn't just a few times, this was every single night. Not one night would go by where this didn't happen.

No one seemed to pay any attention to me but him. When I would start crying in my room he came in every time to comfort me. The best feeling I ever had back then, was probably the feeling I got when I was crying and knew that Max would be there soon to comfort me. Even when I felt a little low, he seemed to be the only one that thought there was something wrong. Not once did a human ever realize what I was going through, no one even knew I had depression. If people weren't making things worse then they weren't doing anything about it at all. Unfortunatly though, my parents put him to sleep that very year. If I could bring him back, I would clean out my bank account entirely to do so. Most people have spent there money on more trivial things, such as materiel possessions like a speed boat or something alike.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,776,887.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree there just has to be balance. It is clear that some people do place animals on a higher pedestal than humans, and I believe that's wrong. But there are times when animals need help too. We need to have veterinarians and anti-poaching laws and such.

What's even more annoying than the elevation of animals is the elevation of trees :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
When my wife first came to America, she was really amused at the way American baby their pets. They will carry their doggy around with them. They will dress them up and even put them in a baby buggy.

When my wife was growing up, they had chickens, pigs, oxen, and so forth, but they never let them in the house. It was bad enough having to clean up after them outside :)

The Bible says that a good man takes good care of his animals though. When I see someone that loves animals and takes good care of them, I think it is a pretty good sign that you will see them in heaven. If you see someone who is mean to animals and abuses them, then that is a pretty good sign that they are in need of salvation. Thanks, JohnR7

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lambslove, where is that verse? I was looking for it the other day in reference to this thread.

John, that do animals go to heaven is a whole other discussion so I won't share my thoughts about it here. Wait a second..you where talking about the person...I had to check the context of that sentence..never mind ;)

Upvote 0

Squee

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟7,656.00
Originally posted by Warchant Warrior
not only is it God's creation, but we need animals make a complete circle of life...without some animals insects could eat everything in this world...you must have equilibrium to sustain life...thats the way God made it

Then again, without animals (as in all living creatures other than us) at all. There wouldn't be a circle of life that we would need to complete. Some plants depend on animals, but I am sure it's possible to have a planet of just humans and plants. Hey, now that I think about it. :idea: Once we begin terraforming Mars it will be a Carbondioxide planet, it will only be able to sustsain the life of plants for awhile. It won't have a circle of life until we put animals on it. Although it will have bacteria still. I guess they have there own little circlet of life...
That would be kinda strange, living on a planet without animals... Although living in the city is practically the same thing, heh. An upside to it though is that the ocean wouldn't be so scary. :eek:

There is a great website that talks about terraforming Mars, if any of you are interested the address is www.redcolony.com :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Martin

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2002
Rochdale
Visit site
✟11,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think people that go overboard in loving pets usually have difficulty with human relationships or have had a seriously damaging relationship in the past..

It's right and proper that we take good care of animals and pets and to respect the life that God has given, but when it moves into loving them, especially if it's a replacement for a living relationship with other people, or even God - then I think there's a problem :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
-------------------
...do animals go to heaven is a whole other discussion so I won't share my thoughts about it here.
-------------------

that reminds me. I have an ex-colleague who renounced Christ, stopped church altogether when she found out that animals dont go to heaven after they die. ie. no salvation plan for them of something like that. I was taken aback and didnt really know what to say. Boy to give up Jesus becos there's no doggy heaven. That's what I'm talking about.

Anyway, thanks for all these comments.

I liked the tree elevation joke! my Pastor calls them "tree huggers and dolphin kissers". :D :D :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.