Tomoz

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
May 18, 2006
✟8,351.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
According to Hindu tradition, the Buddha was an incarnation of Vishnu, who appeared on earth to put a stop to animal sacrifice. I think most buddhists take umbrage at that...
In vedic culture a horse sacrifice was THE sacrifice to perform. Of course, animal sacrifice doesn't take place in Hinduism anymore - I think the only exceptions are some very small sects that are frowned upon by most Hindus (these sects generally worship Kali or some other manifestation of Shakti) and Balinese Hindus, who do still on occasion perform animal sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Lokisdottir

LokAce
Sep 26, 2004
✟16,769.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Asatru contains, or contained, an element of animal sacrifice. This might sound awful to those who don't practice or have never studied this religion, but makes more sense when you consider that in "ye olden days" most followers of the Aesir and Vanir were farmers who raised their own meat and killed it themselves. In a sacrifice, the animal was dedicated to one or more Gods as it was killed; a portion was then given in offering, and the rest was feasted upon.

So it wasn't some spooky occult practice. It was a spiritual and sacred way of carrying out an everyday necessity. That said, only a few Asatru groups practice animal sacrifice today. Most others prefer to buy their food at a grocery store, and see nothing wrong with making an offering after it's been cooked. This makes sense, since it's not about the bloodshed; it's about sharing the bounty as a way of offering thanks.

Upvote 0

Gardenia

Of the Hearth and Hedge
May 1, 2005
New Hampshire
✟18,792.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Animal sacrifice happened in ancient Egypt. As Lokisdottir said, it wasn't some horrible thing though. The animal was sacrificed and offered, and then the priests/community/who ever made the sacrifice would have it as blessed food to eat. Not much difference than the modren practrice of offering your dinner (say you;re having steak) then eating it.. only thing is, you didn't have to kill the animal.

Though, most people now practicing Kemetic religion do not hold their own animal sacrifices, though some might. It comes down to personal choice, and being within the law and such. Again, most don't do this anymore.
(Personally, I'm a vegetarian, so I won't be doing this anytime soon. Better watch your tomatoes though! :p)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Daniels said:
What non-Christian religion talks about this?
Not many that I know of. I know I buy my meat already butchered instead of "sacrificing" it myself, and I also have a stove and barbecue pit instead of an Altar.

I do have a question though for the Jews. Are they dead set on having future sacrifices in the future or do they have to wait for the Moshiac/Messiah to come before they can re-institute them again? Thanks and Shalom

Leviticus 9:24 and fire came out from before the LORD and consumed the burnt offering and the fat on the altar. When all the people saw [it,] they shouted and fell on their faces
Reve 20:9 and they did go up over the breadth of the land, and did surround the camp of the saints, and the beloved city, and there came down fire from God out of the heaven, and devoured/consumed them; .
:eek:

Upvote 0

tocis

Warrior of Thor
Jul 29, 2004
Northern Germany
✟18,466.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Daniels said:
What non-Christian religion talks about this?

I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the sagas you'll find mention of animal sacrifice...

...however, today we consider this not necessary any longer. Consensus (as far as I know) is that a symbolic sacrifice will do at your standard blot.
Of course one could argue that offering a steak or something to the High Ones isn't that different from slaughtering the animal yourself... *shrugs*

Upvote 0