Sep 2, 2002
✟18,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I LOVE Rush Limbaugh! He's not arrogant, he is absolutely positively right on track! Wish there were more like him!

Susan, you speak of anger so harshly, so I'm not sure why you look so angry in your self-portrait...not trying to flame...just questioning...

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And for the Rush fans, there is NO clause in Galatians 5 that proclaims "fits of rage" to be acceptable as long as the motive or message is good.

This logic is akin to saying fornication is OK as long as both involved love each other or that murder is OK if the other person has wronged you.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My point is that the acceptance of him and his tirades (and of other people who seem to build careers on being filled with "righteous indignation") is a sign of a larger problem, an undercurrent of anger in Christian culture in America, at least in what I have seen of it and experienced.

For example, I have not met one Christian person around here that opposes war or at the least thinks that maybe we are moving toward it hastily and without sufficient provocation.

As another example, among people I know, people will freely admit to things like "I guess I threw a fit," or "I had a right to be mad, that person was/is/did. . ." or "I had some words with. . ." and this is actually laughed about sometimes, and it is never brought up in any conversation that this is something to be grieved over or repented over.

Sadly, anger (and even hurtful expressions of it such as screaming, threatening, or even outright verbal abuse) is not considered a sin by many Christians that I know and have seen. It is at most considered a personality foible, something explainable or justified. Only the most liberal of denominations treat other sins the same way.

:sigh:

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do not think anger is sinful in itself if just stated like that. I think how one expresses anger can be sinful and what one gets angry about can make it sinful. If I get angry because of this world's sin then it is not a sin unless I express it in a wrong way. So that is why scripture can say be angry but do not sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Blackhawk
I do not think anger is sinful in itself

Both God and Jesus were angry multiple times in the Bible, so I think this goes without saying. Jesus went into something that could be described as a "fit of rage" -- he overturned the tables of the moneychangers in the temple and yelled at them.

-Chris

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by seebs
Yeah, I've seen some people pretty upset about Catholicism. They get all fussy, and then they start yelling about mixed scents. "Potpourri! Potpourri!" I never did understand.

You found a good place to use it Seebs.;)

Upvote 0

PastorFreud

Lie back on the couch.
Oct 25, 2002
✟6,612.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by Susan
My point is that the acceptance of him and his tirades (and of other people who seem to build careers on being filled with "righteous indignation") is a sign of a larger problem, an undercurrent of anger in Christian culture in America, at least in what I have seen of it and experienced.

For example, I have not met one Christian person around here that opposes war or at the least thinks that maybe we are moving toward it hastily and without sufficient provocation.

I think we have met Susan, but a while back and when I was by folks in the thread to NOT be a Christian because I believe that homosexuality is a rare, but normal expression of sexuality.

Upvote 0

PastorFreud

Lie back on the couch.
Oct 25, 2002
✟6,612.00
Faith
Protestant
Probably nothing, bf, but I just thought I would mention to Susan that there are Christians here who oppose war and think Rush Limbaugh is an idiot.

As far as Baptists, I used to be one over 20 years ago. I still do a good imitation. The last time I attended a Southern Baptist church was two years ago. Nothing was different in that particular church. Still screaming and pounding the pulpit and focused on being saved from Hell.

My SBC pastor gave me my first anti-Catholic propoganda. (And my last, I'm happy to say.) I was also taught to fear (hate? same thing?) Mormons, JWs, Methodists, regular Baptists, smoking, drinking, loose women, the color purple, and air conditioning. Now, I have attended other Baptist churches that were nice. I think the particular church in my backwards thinking home town is not generalizable to all. I have mixed feelings on whether the town would be better off without a church at all.

But Baptists aren't the only angry ones. I think every denomination has it fringes. I was just reading about the Presbyterian association that is ultra right wing the other day. I hear Methodists have a looney fringe too. Thre are charismatics, and charismaniacs. So I'm not sure singling out Baptists is fair.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.