Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
It has been 45 days since my wife died suddenly at 52 years old. I am not crying every day but I'm just an emotional wreck. Anything can set me off. I know that God is sovereign. I just don't know how to not let my mind go a 1000 different ways. What did other widowed people do emotionally.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So sorry for your loss. At 45 days the trauma can seem so fresh for you.

I just finished reading "The Brother's Karamazov". Great book. In it Fr Zosima attempts to console a bereaved woman who has lost a child. But then he sees his error.
"“This,” said the elder, “is Rachel of old ‘weeping for her children, and she would not be comforted, because they are not. This is the lot that befalls you mothers, on earth. And do not be comforted, you should not be comforted, do not be comforted, but weep. Only each time you weep, do not fail to remember that your little son is one of God’s angels, that he looks down at you from there and sees you, and rejoices in your tears and points them out to the Lord God. And you will be filled with this great mother’s weeping for a long time, but in the end it will turn into quiet joy for you, and your bitter tears will become tears of quiet tenderness and the heart’s purification, which saves from sin."

Sometimes all we can do is plow through one day, one hour at a time. It takes great courage. Grief is a cross we all share at one time or another, but some of us more than others. May God bless you and give you strength.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
When my husband died, it took years, but I slowly recovered. I prayed a lot, went to church 3x a week and referred to the bible for strength. It was a rough ride for months. I realized that I should just cling to God--more than I had in the past. I also prayed for my husband's soul.

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry for your loss. May God comfort you and strengthen you. When you have no strength, turn to Christ and turn to His word. Try to listen to audio bibles so that the word of God can comfort you when you do not have strength to read and try to read when you are feeling strong enough to do so. Keep laying the burden of your pain and sorrow at the feet of Christ and ask Him for strength to get through every moment of the day. Your sorrow touches the heart of God and He loves you so much. Turn to your dear Savior, who compassionately cared for the masses as the Good Shepherd while He walked the earth and does personally attend to each and every one of His sheep who hear and know His voice. God bless you.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It has been 45 days since my wife died suddenly at 52 years old. I am not crying every day but I'm just an emotional wreck. Anything can set me off. I know that God is sovereign. I just don't know how to not let my mind go a 1000 different ways. What did other widowed people do emotionally.

There is no standard time line or process for grieving. Depending on how you work though your issues it could be 3 months to 3 years before you feel "normal" again. But one year is common. Some people benefit well from a support group and others gain benefit from just one good friend. So it's up to you to experiment to discover what works best for you to adapt. I was able to recover easily when my brother died as we were not close. So the depth of your relationship is the biggest indicator of your grieving time. Just make an effort to work though your emotions by accepting that they are normal. Allow the grieving person inside you to have their time and learn to love that person who is grieving. They need a shoulder to lean on even if it's your own shoulder.

Upvote 0

Rom10:9

Saved by Grace through Faith
Feb 4, 2022
Oklahoma
✟10,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I am sorry for your loss. May God comfort you and strengthen you. When you have no strength, turn to Christ and turn to His word. Try to listen to audio bibles so that the word of God can comfort you when you do not have strength to read and try to read when you are feeling strong enough to do so. Keep laying the burden of your pain and sorrow at the feet of Christ and ask Him for strength to get through every moment of the day. Your sorrow touches the heart of God and He loves you so much. Turn to your dear Savior, who compassionately cared for the masses as the Good Shepherd while He walked the earth and does personally attend to each and every one of His sheep who hear and know His voice. God bless you.
In my brokenness may I cling to Jesus. Thank you for reminding me of the narrow path. Kent

• Friendly
Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
My good friend passed away about 12 years ago. I was at work and his wife phoned me to say that she could not wake him up. It was a 40 minute drive that took me 30 minutes.

When I arrived, two policemen and an ambulance crew were there. My friend's wife was chatting to the people, offering tea or coffee. I was amazed at her composure. When everyone had gone, she and I talked. Unlike in your case, her husband had been unwell. Just the same, I'm not sure anything prepares you for the event. She told me about the guilt she suffered because she'd left her husband asleep while she went shopping. She told me that grief threatened to overwhelm her for just a moment. She retreated to her bedroom for a short time and committed everything to Jesus. She had a cry, pulled herself together and found out what steps she had to take. The undertaker arrived and the first responders left.

In all those years since, she has not lost her composure. It happened on her birthday. I took her to a restaurant that evening. We celebrated their wedding anniversary the same way. I'd known them both since 1983, before they were married.

Grieving is normal but only for a limited time. From memory, the mourning period in Jesus' time was 7 days. In order to keep our minds from going out of control, we have to choose what to think and not allow stray thoughts to distract us. It is not possible to think two thoughts at the same time. My friend's wife and I consoled ourselves with good memories. We dwelt on the fact that he was in a better place and that his physical problems were over. We told their friends and relatives of course. Others were praying for us and that is wonderful. God surely answers the prayers of His people.

We are exhorted to cast our care on Jesus. How easy it is until we are faced with this kind of situation. But it is possible.
2 Corinthians 1:
2Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.....

What is impossible for us is possible for God. Not only that, after our ordeal is over, we can be used to help others going through a similar situation.

• Winner
Reactions: Rom10:9
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
The first few months are often pretty brutal. There can be a real temptation to try and shortcut grief. The challenge in doing so, as that it will come back, and when it does, is the unintended consequences are often a lot harder the next go round than what might have been if you engaged with it from the get go. Easier said than done of course...

Some of the things I did, which may or may not be helpful.

I went and hung out at the hospital where my late wife died, and engaged with the memories, often bringing about a whole lot of crying and memory looping including the paralysis. I felt I needed to get to the point to be able to walk the city, walk the hospitals halls, and to be able to do so without triggering memory looping. In one sense, this was super super hard, in another, after a year, I had a lot less memory looping than many of the widowers I know.

A friend put live plants on his late wife's gravesite, so he had to visit daily to water them. I would visit my late wife's gravesite most days the first few months, but it wasn't like near the frequency of my friend Ralph. I think we saw more of each other after our respective wives died, than we had in the past 40 yrs prior. We didn't talk, just a head nod greeting, and we left each other to process.

I couldn't deal with people, so kept to myself mostly. Its not that I didn't need contact, it was that I often felt more like reigning down fire on folks that said hurtful, rather than helpful things. In a chaplaincy seminar, I once said there are 50 wrong things to say to a person grieving their spouse, and most Christians will hit on 48 of them. Granted, I was the only widower, but it resonated with the experience of the other chaplains. What is most helpful is a listening ear... but that can be really hard to come by, as death makes most uncomfortable, and they default to fix mode.

Brain chemistry goes whack for the vast majority of people, you may find yourself doing things out of typical character. This is not unexpected, which is why most grieving literature will tell you not to make any major decisions for at least a year.. if possible that is.

Ultimately, you do what's best for you... this is a darn hard path to navigate but as time passes, you will see elements of life and the color will return to your world.

Upvote 0